Tommy Elphick; A good first signing, POLL

Tommy10

The signing’s confirmed then and having read the stories about the three-year deal, I have to say I’m very encouraged.
Everything seems to be backing up what we thought, in that he’s a good leader and it’s always pleasing when the previous employer talks about how he was a model professional. We can’t get enough of those types, after all, it would seem.
Even better, was the fact that he cut his honeymoon short, which I thought was a bit above and beyond the expected.
I mean, there’s no way the club would have ordered him to do that at risk of the deal falling through; imagine if that got out to the press, for example.

Elphick made a great statement too, talking about how it was an easy decision coming to the Villa;

“It’s obviously what gives us our living. When a club come calling like Villa it’s the least you can do to give up five days of your honeymoon.
I just think as soon as you hear the name Aston Villa…
Obviously it’s not been such a good time recently but when you see what they’ve done over the summer with the new owner and new manager I didn’t take much convincing at all.
I’m absolutely delighted. It didn’t actually take long. As soon as I heard about Villa’s interest it’s something that turned my head straight away.
To be able to come here and represent such a great club with such great history is going to be a real honour for me.”

And while you often hear this sort of stuff from newly signed players, it just seems genuinely sincere for some reason.
He comes across as a really down to earth type, whose feet are still planted firmly on the ground. Again the sort we need more of.

All I know is he must have a very understanding wife!

I’ve noticed a few “dislikes” in the previous comments about Elphick, but have to confess I’m perplexed as to why that should be. What’s not to like about this signing?

Hence we need a vote, which might fish out what some of us don’t like about the idea of signing him.
For clarity, I’ve seen that he isn’t the quickest of defenders, but I don’t see that as so much of a problem in the Championship.

1. pat57
    pat57 June 23, 2016 at 10:57 am .

Just heard that Vardy is staying with the Foxes.

For some reason this really cheered me up. Some hope for us all if Leicester can hang onto their best players after the season they’ve had.

1. langfordvilla
      langfordvilla June 23, 2016 at 7:01 pm .

I have a feeling that Vardy wont be half as good next season! Leicester will regret not cashing in on him IMO

2. OriginalLondonLion
      OriginalLondonLion June 23, 2016 at 7:17 pm .

I am very pleased at this. I would go so far as to say it is a conspiracy amongst the 5 clubs who feel they are entitled to CL places. In that I am sure they phone each other and agree which of them will target which players at any clubs that threaten their domination. Leicester this year, Everton and Spurs in the recent past, Villa when we reached 6th place. They do not buy a player out of need, they buy a player to disrupt the competition.

1. DSVilla
        DSVilla June 27, 2016 at 10:23 pm .

OLL that is utter b@llocks. Arsenal need a different kind of striker and Wenger has finally learnt that he needs that type of player. The idea that they might discuss who looks to buy him is just ridiculous. Top teams look to buy top players. Why didn’t they get together and try to get one to buy him in January to destabilise Leicester’s title chances? Oh yes, cos’ it’s crap.

Most of your posts make sense but not this. Excuse the abruptness but I’ve just watched yet another inept England performance.

1. OriginalLondonLion
          OriginalLondonLion June 27, 2016 at 11:50 pm .

DS I can understand your frustration, so have I.

I don’t know how far you go back but the one admission of this happening was Liverpool and Paul Mariner of Ipswich. Since then from Villa Mark Bosnich and James Milner were bought by teams who needed nobody in their role and for whom they were a misfit. I would also put City’s buy of Sterling in the same category.

2. Bum Bum
          Bum Bum June 28, 2016 at 9:04 am .

It’s not bollocks at all DS. Big clubs have openly admitted they buy up the best of the players from competing sides to deliberately weaken them. It started as a policy in Europe in the 90’s. Chelsea are England’s prime example of this, closely followed by Citeh.

1. DSVilla
            DSVilla June 28, 2016 at 3:31 pm .

OK I stand corrected. Also I am much calmer now I have accepted England’s defeat as almost funny rather than a disaster. It would be typical FA to give the job to Southgate to start the process to our next epic failure.

3. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm .

100k a week helped lol

2. pat57
    pat57 June 23, 2016 at 12:38 pm .

Stan back in training…now that is good news 🙂

Be great to have his positive influence around the first team.

3. Dave67
    Dave67 June 23, 2016 at 1:46 pm .

Yes, its great to see that petrov is up and running again.

4. giddyvillan
    giddyvillan June 23, 2016 at 4:00 pm .

Great to see Stan giving it a go but I do think the rigors of the championship maybe a step too far but hey you never know.I wish him the best I’d love to see him back on the villa Park hallowed turf.

1. Bill Pearson
      Bill Pearson June 23, 2016 at 4:23 pm .

Well Giddy, he might not be able but can still advise to idiots who are still in the club.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 23, 2016 at 7:40 pm .

Stan was shit before he was ill especially from a fitness PoV. I love Stan and so pleased he gas beat cancer but him making a comeback is ridiculous especially in this league. Keep him as a coach or figure head for club.

1. mike
        mike June 25, 2016 at 6:51 am .

I agree

5. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson June 23, 2016 at 4:42 pm .

Westwood, and Gestede are wanted by Burnley, but they have to match wages.

1. OriginalLondonLion
      OriginalLondonLion June 23, 2016 at 7:11 pm .

A couple of great disposals! Did Burnley watch these two in the EPL, I wonder

1. Ardent Villain
        Ardent Villain June 23, 2016 at 7:22 pm .

I think that Gestede might be worth keeping; he could be just in his element in the Championship.

6. giddyvillan
    giddyvillan June 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm .

Westwood is not Pl standard gestede I’d love to see him getting decent service & last season he got fuckall so it’s hard to judge his potential.

7. steve
    steve June 24, 2016 at 2:28 pm .

has Gabby gone yet. This will be the test. getting rid of tossers on long contracts

1. giddyvillan
      giddyvillan June 24, 2016 at 5:10 pm .

Love your wording mate & your bang on.

2. Andrew
      Andrew June 28, 2016 at 2:57 am .

Gotta find teams that want him. Which is highly unlikely.

8. nath
    nath June 25, 2016 at 8:26 am .

i think RDM won’t sell or release anybody until they have been assessed by him and his coaching team.don’t they leave for a summer camp training week or 10 days soon.i think after this get together, we will see players start leaving.

players like gabby and lescott, i just can’t see how they can stay. our club is reborn after years of under achievements and little to no ambitions. hungry players and strong leaders we need and these two don’t have either. IN MY OPINION. gabby has been shadow for many years, wasn’t it against spuds he touched ball only too kick off after goals.

i think both these need to leave for themselves and us

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 25, 2016 at 1:55 pm .

If Lescott gabby bacuna and Guzan r still here then we may as well not bother. All crap

1. nath
        nath June 25, 2016 at 3:10 pm .

i only mentioned two player. because i didn’t want to name the whole last years squad lmao but your right in the four named but the two i named must be the first to go they are to much of a influence on the other sheeps

2. saddened
        saddened June 25, 2016 at 10:08 pm .

I worry we may hear the words ‘gabby is on fire in training’
        He should have been sacked last season, along with Lescott and Guzan – don’t give them the chance to infect the squad, get rid before pre-season.

9. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum June 25, 2016 at 10:07 am .

Badger, seems this may have an effect, but could be very positive. Which of us really care about the overblown finances of the EPL? It’s immoral anyway, and could have two consequences: We have to develop more homegrown players, and secondly there is a more level playing field with other European teams considering the obscene TV money deals. Are either of these necessarily bad things?

1. badger123
      badger123 June 26, 2016 at 12:48 am .

Bum Bum,
      I’ll try and look into this tomorrow, if I get chance.
      I’m up to my neck in it atm mate.

1. Bum Bum
        Bum Bum June 26, 2016 at 10:16 am .

Are you busy negotiating Article 50???

1. Bill Pearson
          Bill Pearson June 26, 2016 at 10:38 am .

That could be true Bum bum, we are out after all.!

10. badger123
    badger123 June 26, 2016 at 9:43 pm .

Right, I’ve sorted article 50 and it won’t commence till summer ’17 😉

More importantly, that Beeb link is a load of pony, imo.
    The Prem pays way more than any other league and that’s how it’ll stay, regardless of if we’re in or out of the EU.
    Yes, there are tax breaks in Spain and Germany has signed a better deal, I think, but the dough is still over here, because the EPL is stil the biggest draw overall.
    Fluctuation in cable (pound to dollar) isn’t going to make much difference, imo.
    We as a country have an incredible knack of bringing the money in, whatever happens and I don’t expect that to change, regardless of any views of whether we should be in or out.

Hence the whole game will still pay loads for over-rated crap.

Well, you did ask! 🙂