Title contenders; we’re coming for you!

Well, that was absolutely great for me.
With provisos.

I’ve said before that I can see things coming in the way we play our footy.
We try moves going forward, that don’t always work.
But at the same time, defenders knock the ball back, even though they haven’t looked; because they know where the player will be.
Trust me, I totally believe it’s coming and I believe it’s because we’re organised. Something that I haven’t seen in a long, long while.

That said, it was plainly obvious that Preston were struggling at the back, with so many players out.
They just looked incredibly unbalanced as a side, which meant that they were there for the taking.

And we took them; it’s as simple as that.

This was a display rooted on our defence, where Chester and particulary John Terry were outstanding.
Elmohamady and Hutton did very little wrong either, but it’s just that they were out-shadowed by those in the middle.

That said, we looked lively when we did attack and I’d made my mind up that Keinan Davis was the MOTM, way before it was mentioned.
He was simply outstanding in his movement and hold-up play.
He had a couple of very good chances too, where he was unlucky to not score.

I have to be honest though and I do worry about his manner and body language on the pitch.
Maybe it’s the arrogance of youth, but it doesn’t look good to me.

Whatever, he put himself about well and caused Preston a world of grief.
Well done son!

Another truth is that Preston offered nothing and i worry about them.
Not much, but I do.

The opening line on $ky was something like “Villa started the game and Preston won it”
Very, very fitting for me, as a traditionalist.

Preston are a proper club, similar to us.

But that’s enough about them.
We whupped them and are beginning to show our credentials.

I’m not Bruce’s biggest fan.
Indeed, I’m not Terry’s biggest fan either.

But it would seem things are beginning to click.

If you still doubt it, try putting a neutral head on and just look at the results.

Title contenders, we’re coming for you, indeed.
Think about our squad depth. We still have the likes of De Laet to come in, if needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. Bum Bum November 1, 2017 at 10:58 pm . Reply

Whoop! Whoop!

2. Dave67 November 1, 2017 at 11:02 pm . Reply

Brilliant win. Keep them coming.

3. Andrew November 1, 2017 at 11:11 pm . Reply

Man oh man, what happened to Preston. I guess 8 injuries to defenders really does take it’s toll, but definitely looked a good side, us. But we did this before. Shit against Wolves, good against Fulham, shit against City, good against Preston. Need to start that consistency in performances.

1. jvillan November 1, 2017 at 11:17 pm . Reply

no point getting carried away ,too many poor performances
      and still no striker scoring would love to see hogan start alongside davies at weekend just tosee if will work

4. originallondonlion November 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm . Reply

If we are going to be contenders we need to win games like this. If we are going to get an automatic promotion we need to beat the teams above us. Wolves apart, those other sides do not look any better than Villa so we are on track. Can we avoid the Xmas fade for once?

5. B6 November 2, 2017 at 5:54 am . Reply

A strong squad wins the championship. We, arguably, have the strongest squad in the division. This will be Wolves, Cardiff, Sheffield United and other teams let down.

I am convinced and have been since the start of the season we will win this division. Nothing has changed in my thinking.

IN BRUCE I TRUST.

UTV

6. owen November 2, 2017 at 12:23 pm . Reply

THIS TEAM IS GOING UP! Jedinak back as well – Whelan dominated then we got Jedinak to help him close the game out. Tactics executed well. Happy days! Told you so ha ha!!!!!!!!!

7. owen November 2, 2017 at 12:30 pm . Reply

Some people’s negative comments on here after 3 wins and a draw from our last 5 away games are unbelievable. I have said it before some people will moan if we go up with 100 points. Miserable stuff!

1. CA Villan November 2, 2017 at 12:35 pm . Reply

I just find it unbelievable. We were going to lose all these games, but the only reason apparently that we didn’t is because other teams have injuries ans apparentmy we don’t Go figure?

1. Owen November 2, 2017 at 5:34 pm . Reply

Agreed. Kodjia was out and Grealish and Lansbury still not fully ready. We have had injuries and suspensions too. But we march on. Plus we are spreading the goals around. A lot less people post on here when we win. Nothing to moan about.

2. Andrew November 2, 2017 at 6:10 pm . Reply

Mentioning injuries clearly is Preston’s problem, but that’s not the only reason we won. NO ONE has said it was. We out played them. We had multiple chances, just no one to score them. We desperately need a striker but I’m pretty sure I praised the team as a whole for the win.

1. badger123 November 2, 2017 at 11:46 pm . Reply

That’s an interesting point Andrew.
          Who got the goals?
          It wasn’t the strikers and it hasn’t been them, for a while.
          Which demonstrates serious strength in our side, imo.

Which surely has to be a massive plus point?
          We are not relying on Kodjia, this season, simple.

Now imagine Bruce can pull a striker out of the hat in the winter window (and he has done, previously).

I think we’re looking very well set up for a proper challenge, myself.

Happy clapping, maybe.

But I’m riding the wave.
          Analysis is all well and good, but you can’t beat the simple feeling that we’re overall on a roll 🙂

1. Andrew November 3, 2017 at 1:50 am .

While true, we need strikers you can rely on to score goals. Top teams do have players other than strikers and it’s great for once we have that ability not to rely on Kodjia, but we don’t have a striker we can rely on in case our midfielders or center backs on corners stop scoring.

Unfortunately, the striker Bruce pulled out of the hat was Hogan. And he’s been a failure. Imagine having an Assombalonga or even a lower level striker like Grabban. We’d have scored 4-5. I agree, I do love the feeling we are back to something O’Neill had where Young and Milner could contribute some goals and not rely on Carew and the lesser extent, Gabby. But we need that Carew now. If Kodjia never got injured, we’d probably be rolling with him getting goals, but we need someone to do it.

It’s also probably the one position we don’t have in the academy of someone we can bring in. Davis is good, RHM is good, but we don’t have the natural goal getter.