Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Badger123 August 15, 2013 at 8:28 pm .

The Bent story is very strange.
    The Mirror reported this morning that Palace were in for him on a season loan with them paying around 40k a week of his wages and an option to buy if they survive. There’s also a survival bonus mentioned, which knowing us would probably be around a quarter of a mill or something similarly laughable.
    Totally crazy business, imo and the whole thing appalls me, although it will justify Lerner’s position in that we’re making a massive loss, as I would imagine it will go down on the red side of the books via amortisation????
    It strikes me Bent’s removal has nothing to do with football and if Benteke was to get injured, Bent would be my next bet to be top scorer, if only Lambert would play him.
    I personally don’t swallow that Bent is useless.
    The requirements are simple.
    Get the ball in the box and he will score plenty.

As for Hutton, I really couldn’t care less.
    Pay off his contract (we can afford to write off way more than what he cost, according to the Bent situation) and get rid.

As for Arse’s problems, I’m never happy when any players are injured, but we need the points more than them, so sod ’em.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm .

Agree badger I know bent splits opinions but still a great option for us if Benteke is injured or suffers a loss of form. Lets face it all strikers have bad spells and bents goals would keep us ticking over.

Lionheart August 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm .

Badger.. What have u seen previously that makes you think we would’ve had a shite promotion clause..

We’ve shafted virtually every club when it comes to buying our key players..

The Bent deal from what the word is will be 2Mloan fee with an option to buy plus they pay his wages.. It’s not a bad deal ESP as everyone keeps saying he will score goals..

Foxy August 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm .

So their right back is injured, that means whoever is put there has Gabby and Benteke to contend with. That’s a nice start to the season for them!

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 15, 2013 at 11:21 pm .

Bet they wish they had signed lowton now.

Foxy August 16, 2013 at 6:50 am .

I bet quite a few teams bet they’d signed Lowton.

Badger123 August 15, 2013 at 10:10 pm .

Who did we shaft?
    Barry, good buy for them, same as Milner.
    Young, maybe not performed as expected, granted, but we didn’t shaft them, imo.
    Downing, maybe, but I always thought Pool were getting a very good player and spent ages telling their fans just that.

My point is more that if we’re willing to throw away well over 10 mill on Bent, even when we all know he can do the bizz, why are we worried about Mutton, who, regardless of a decent performance against a poor England, is still utter crap?

Getting rid of Bent the way we are is not about good business, it’s about proving a point.
    And my experience says that’s not a good thing.
    Just my take on things, that’s all.

markdrapernumber8 August 15, 2013 at 10:19 pm .

Have to say I agree with you on this mate, well said re Bent on the previous 2 comments.

We did however 100% shaft Liverpool with Downing and Manure with Young. Milner and Barry as you say are a little different, fair fees at the time for 2 very very good players.

nath August 16, 2013 at 9:43 am .

totally agree and only player i would av back is milner 🙂

Guest August 16, 2013 at 10:06 am .

I think the bigger question is, would Bent prefer to sit on our bench or play first team football in London?

We can harp on all day long as to whether keeping him at the club is a good or bad thing but to be honest, it doesn’t really seem like an option.

Naughtius Maximus August 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm .

getting rid of bent is just about shifting the wages whether on loan or transferred, if its a loan and he performs well his price and lure will go up next season, if he performs badly we’re no worse of than we are now. also bent gets to play some much needed 1st team football on a personal level for him, plus if we lonE him out he wont be able to play n score against us 😉 QPR are doing the same thing, they’ve loaned out remy and taarabt.
    as for barry there’s no way in a million years we’d be interested in paying his wages although I believe he’d be a good addition to the squad imo, maybe if man city would cover part of the wage but I don’t see it as something lambert would want. maybe man city will off load him on west ham who seem to be recruiting from the opposite end of the spectrum the us in that they have now signed downing from Liverpool to join carrol and joe cole in the old boys league, puts me in mind of big rons 30 somethings of that early/mid 90’s era.
    it will be interesting to see how they get on by comparison.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm .

Big rons 30 something’s gave us our best moments in the prem. Shoukd have win title in 92 but bottled it though that utd game where the ref kept on playing till they scored psychologically finished us and was the turning point. Fixed IMO

Naughtius Maximus August 16, 2013 at 7:41 am .

agreed ooah, I remember it well, it was the beginning of fergie time, I remember united playing 2 games in the closing games of the season running 6 and 8 mins over which was unheard of in those days.
        the team ron assembled those years were kind of the exact opposite of what we are doing now in that ron attkinson assembled a team of players many had given up on, players who came pretty cheaply, saunders, Staunton, Houghton, McGrath, Richardson and so on.
        big sam has a similar footballing philosophy I will be keeping a watch on how they go this season.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 16, 2013 at 8:34 am .

Agreed nm that’s why we could never win the league again IMO as if we had a team capable of doing it the establishment would cheat us out if it ie sky would make us play at stupid times, refs would give sky 4 challengersore big decisions and any big decisions wouldn’t go our way. It’s a big fix IMO. Though I must say. Bfr team was bloody exciting to watch.

Chayco August 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm .

I don’t think we shafted Man U with Young.We did get a Reasonable fee as he was in his last year of his contract. I would take him back tomorrow and I bet Benteke would too. I think they would be brilliant together. Does anyone know if Bowery has featured in pre season? I’m thinking Lambert might have mind up about him. I know I have !

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm .

Teach them a lesson for stitching us up with djemba djemba lol

Naughtius Maximus August 16, 2013 at 7:43 am .

jumbo jumper 😉 lol

markdrapernumber8 August 16, 2013 at 9:09 am .

Bloody long medical Bent is having eh

BillyWalkerShirt August 16, 2013 at 11:12 am .

See the Next Gens been cancelled. I wonder if it would have been if say Barcelona, Inter or Man U would have won it? Or is that just me being cynical?

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 16, 2013 at 11:37 am .

Why have they been cancelled BWS

BillyWalkerShirt August 16, 2013 at 11:41 am .

Being cynical I’d say because we won it but the official line is ” NextGen series cancelled over funding problems”.

Vaze August 16, 2013 at 11:40 am .

NextGen wasn’t affiliated to either FIFA or UEFA, was a private venture.

Watch this space for a NextGen style competition to be launched by FIFA or UEFA.

That’s cynicism BWS.

BillyWalkerShirt August 16, 2013 at 11:51 am .

I bow to your superior knowledge but the cynic in me still believes that should a a club of a higher standing in world terms (in this age of SKY values) had away walked away with the trophy the competition would still be running again this season but hey ho what do I know? Either way its a shame because it was good experience for the kids with some good footy played and it was a good experience to take the grandkids to.

Lionheart August 16, 2013 at 11:56 am .

BWS not sure why it has been cancelled BUT i do know that UEFA want to do there own version and cach on… w@nkers.

BillyWalkerShirt August 16, 2013 at 12:45 pm .

Sounds about right LH but you have to wonder if we ( being holders and all) will be invited to take part or it will be the usual suspects?

Vaze August 16, 2013 at 11:43 am .

I should imagine that the workings of the loan deal to Fulham are well in our favour, there has been enough interest in Bent with three teams effectively vying for his services.

A fee, cover the wages, and option to buy all probably feature.

We’re taking a hit on him, but if we hadn’t forked out £18m, we’d have probably gone down. That would have been far more damaging.

For me, brilliant finisher, lazy player. Wigan away summed him up, poachers goal in the first five minutes, and may as well have sat next to me for the remainder of the match.