Three Points or Cup Glory?

Now the dust has settled and the ‘feel good’ factor is back at Villa Park it got me wondering about our upcoming games v WBA.

After a positive second half display v Leicester and the kindest FA cup draw that I can ever remember we now find ourselves playing 2 big games v WBA in the space of a few days.

Now in an ideal world Villa fans including me would like to win both games. Assuming we take the momentum off the second half on Saturday into the rest of the season there is no reason why we cannot win both games. However, as we all know in football and Aston Villa, in particular, nothing is ever that easy.

Let’s assume that a ‘hypothetical’ genie gave us one wish that enabled us to win the league game or the cup game but not both which one would most of us take?

For me staying in the premier is paramount and those 3 points could easily be the difference of us staying up or going down. We certainly do not want to become the next Wigan! To complicate matters more if we went for the cup win over the 3 points and we face Liverpool, Arsenal or UTD in the Semi and/or the final, then even the most optimistic Villa fan would struggle backing us to win one or possibly 2 huge games against outstanding sides where we have a poor record anyway.

For me it’s a no-brainer I will take the 3 points. But of course I secretly hope we win both.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    pat57 February 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm .

What I want is two wins against Stoke and the Baggies and a draw against Newcastle – 7 points.

But I want the manager and the team to be really greedy and get a trip to Wembley too.

#HELENIUS February 19, 2015 at 1:34 pm .

I see we’ve dipped our hand into Norwich’ bin…..

steve February 19, 2015 at 1:45 pm .

i am sure sherwood will go all out to win both. it will be all about trying to maintain momemtum.(hopefully playing well and winning).

Hitchens 60 February 19, 2015 at 2:32 pm .

Apparently Brady worked in similar role with Sherwood at Spurs. Ribs on has recently been working with the FA on youth development – defo think we are going to see younger players getting their chance which many on here have been asking for.

Hitchens 60 February 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm .

Ribs LOL should have said Robson bl***y predictive text 🙂

Hitchens 60 February 19, 2015 at 2:36 pm .

Also hearing that Sid’s role has been changed to that of youth development coach which probably suits him better.

Hitchens 60 February 19, 2015 at 4:03 pm .

Tried to paste following article in London Economic written by a Blues fan ( journalist) it’s a good read.

saddened February 19, 2015 at 4:24 pm .

Fantastic Article H60, give a positive stance on things at the moment

#HELENIUS February 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm .

Brilliantly written piece, even if he is a blue!! Cheers Hitchens, nice find.

GIDDYVILLAN February 19, 2015 at 4:36 pm .

Good read I didn’t know the SCUM could write.you learn summit everyday

Hitchens 60 February 19, 2015 at 4:52 pm .

LOL Giddy – very funny 🙂

Badger123 February 19, 2015 at 8:38 pm .

Overly long and basically said nothing to me, I’m afraid.
    I gave up half way through, as this was Guardianista at it’s best.
    Which is crap, the same as the Times offers, imo.

I’m quite amazed that this has supposedly been written by a Nose though.
    You live and learn.

Anyway, there’s a new post coming up, which compares rugger to footy.
    Give it a look, before you bin it, as I think it has some very relevant points