Thoughts on Derby and are we selling Villa Park?

First off, congratulations to Derby for beating Leeds, against the odds, to get into the play-off final.
I have to say I’m glad they won, as I was seriously worried about facing Leeds and saw them as our biggest stumbling block.
That’s not to say that I think playing Derby will be easy, but hey, give me a team we’ve beaten twice and put seven past without conceding this season, any time.
Whatever, it was a really good performance by the Rams and in the second half, they just didn’t give Leeds chance to breathe, let alone play.
It would seem that’s what we’ll have to try and do to them.

And then, there was an article in the Birmingham Mail which was followed up by 7500 to Holte (so a hat tip to them) where they noticed that a Twitter user had seen that the club’s owners have formed a shell company called NSWE Stadium Ltd.
Noone has mentioned it on here, but I find it interesting.

We’ve consistently been told by Christian Purslow, the CEO, that we don’t have a problem with FFP, yet many have failed to see why, as we’re surely way over the limits?
Could the reason be that the club is going to sell the stadium to our owners and then lease it back?

If so, to my mind, this is as legally bent as it gets.
You’re effectively selling the stadium to yourself.
Yet this sort of thing happens all the time in the financial world, as companies are seen as seperate entities from those who own them.
Indeed, it’s already happened in the English game.

It seems the powers-that-be are going to clamp down on this sort of thing, but we all know how slow they move and in my opinion it would be a restiction of trade anyway, so you would assume it’s still an option for us, should we fail to get promoted.

The big question for me, is what is Villa Park worth?

The club is valued at £75-125 million, take your pick, it’s all about how much someone wants it.
But given that Villa Park is renowned as one of the finest traditional stadiums in the world, let alone England, you have to wonder what it might be valued at.

You might laugh, but I’d suggest £200 million on paper isn’t out of the question, given some of the figures I’ve seen in the financial world.
Classic stadiums aren’t ten a penny, after all.

Of course, all this assumes we don’t get promoted.
If we do, it won’t matter, at least in the short term anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Pat 57 May 23, 2019 at 10:05 pm .
    originallondonlion May 24, 2019 at 12:22 am .

I don’t think much of this story. JT has had issues with the Ferdinand brothers, and his father blackened the family name. However JT has always been professional and loyal to the clubs he was with. Noticeable that he was turfed out as a player after last year’s playoff final, and 9 out of 10 people would not have returned to Villa even with a change of manager or owners following that. JT did. I don’t think he is even thinking of going anywhere until Monday is behind us.

Hitchens60 May 24, 2019 at 3:40 pm .

I read we now have to contend with ‘Drake’s Curse’, courtesy of Wes Edens daughter, as well as Derby County.

Now you may scoff but don’t underestimate the power of mind games on performance levels, positive and negative – and footballers are known to be superstitious.

Pat 57 May 25, 2019 at 12:42 am .

“Middlesbrough have stunned Derby by announcing their intention to sue the Championship club, days before the play-off final at Wembley.

Steve Gibson, the Middlesbrough owner, has taken drastic action in his dispute with Mel Morris by vowing to take legal action over what he insists are clear breaches of financial rules.”

Bad loser?

nath May 25, 2019 at 8:33 am .

almost there now after the longest week in history ends. dangerous derby will be a match for us you can be sure of that. i see lots of villa fans saying we beat them twice and by x amount of goals unanswered. that wont mean squat come monday.

i didn’t foresee them beating leeds, but i watched both games hoping they would. first game thou they lost they matched up to leeds really well and caused them problems with they quick counters and deep runners like mount and wilson. 2nd leg they went for the match more playing two up top and that caused leeds more trouble. plus they continued to break the leeds pressing with fine forcing deep runs from their midfield

i expect them to play the same formation and style as in their 2nd leg against us. they will try to pin us back and not allow our defenders to play out from the back. but they wont press high from midfield. they will leave two up against our 3 back. they will hit us hard from deep, meaning our three midfield will have to track back with their men. i think the midfield battle will be vital to deciding the victors

villa will have to step it up against derby we were poor against wba. or baggies were really good at cancelling us out. they stopped our defence playing out. and they denied us space to attack which derby wont do. against leeds they were magnificent but leeds had many many chances to finish them off and wasted them. we will have to take the chances when they arrive and their will be many chances as derby are not solid at the back and their midfield empty when they counter meaning they are very vulnerable.

early prediction last one of the season so i must get this right. 3 1 villa hourihane gets the opener. rasping freekick

Bill Pearson May 25, 2019 at 1:14 pm .

To be honest I’m worried sick, we all know these matches an go anyway and not for the faint hearted, it’s all about fitness and willingness to win on the day. Theirs a lot at stake on this game for certain players and open window for other’s, no prediction from me I’m a picture of bad luck. I’ll use the old saying, may the best team win. Utv.

Pat 57 May 25, 2019 at 4:42 pm .

Don’t worry so Bill. We’re the better team on paper and we’ll be the better team on the day. In their heart of hearts every Derby player will know that we can beat them and every Villa player knows that they can win. That counts for something.

A play off final is no novelty for us whereas for most of Derby this will be their first time.

I predicted both play off semis correctly and I’m going for a relatively easy win for Villa.

COYL

Hitchens60 May 25, 2019 at 8:20 pm .

Bill, maybe It’s an age thing – I don’t know – but I’m really worried!