The rubbish you hear during the transfer window; Or is it?

Any long time viewers of the site will know my position regarding the transfer windows.
I hate the speculation because the vast majority of it is utter rubbish.

That said, I know some of you love it, so I’m happy to talk about it.
Me, I’ll just remain very sceptical until it has been confirmed that a player has signed.

A typical example of what I believe is utter tosh, is a link I’ve seen to Charlie Austin, the Southampton striker.
There was me thinking he was an attacking midfielder. Did he get pushed up front some time back?
Whatever, he’s 29 and apparently on £70k a week, with two years left to run on his contract.
A cursory glance at the Premier league table tells me Southampton finshed 16th in the season just gone, which is surely at least where we’d hope to finish this season.
So, if he’s deemed not good enough for Southampton, why on earth does anyone think we’d want him?. And on those wages, when it’s blatantly obvious that we have FFP issues, now that it seems we’re under a soft transfer embargo?

For info, this is where a club agrees not to do any deals, after a request from the EFL. This would explain why the Jota and Hause deals were delayed.

But it now seems that the embargo has been lifted, as the latest news is that we’ve taken up our option to sign Hause and the Jota deal has been confirmed by Dean Smith himself.
Which is interesting, because it means that if we were under an embargo, something has happened very, very recently to allow the EFL to lift it.
I wonder what?
Or is it just that we had other irons in the fire and wanted to hold fire?
Jesus, even I’m being sucked into the speculation game now.

Anyway, while the Jota deal makes sense because Smith knows him, the Austin deal just doesn’t, in any way. At all.

Simply put, if we sign 5% of the players we’ve been linked with, the media will have done very well and better than usual.

I can’t remember the actual reason why windows were introduced, but logic tells me it was to prevent clubs reinforcing when they suffered a particular weakness, which gave the bigger clubs another advantage.
But since when have the powers that be been bothered about that?
Or maybe it was to stop “tapping-up” and undermining rival clubs at important times?
Yes, that doesn’t happen any more, does it?

I dont know, part of me wishes we could go back to the old system, as I detest reading pure guesswork.

Page 5 of 7 1 3 4 5 6 7
    Hitchens60 June 11, 2019 at 7:12 am .

Lot of gossip linking Villa to a bid for Butland – Villa 8/11 favourites with Sky Bet to sign him.

Although Nyland, on goals conceded, looks the worse option, actually overall his stats are better than Kalinic. The reality is Nyland played behind an absolutely awful defence. Notwithstanding, I think Nyland will be the one to leave.

DSVilla June 11, 2019 at 10:03 am .

I have my doubts about Steer at Premiership level. He has done well for us but can he perform at that level? Butland can, but it is clear that Smith wants us to play from the back (inc keeper) like Man City and Liverpool do, and England are now doing. Against West Brom it nearly cost us a goal on several occasions, so we need a keeper who can do this. I don’t know enough about Butland to say whether he is comfortable enough with the ball at his feet. Good shot stopper though.

Pat 57 June 11, 2019 at 11:57 am .

Butland would be an improvement on Steer and, at 26, would have quite a few good years in him. I’d still keep Steer in as number two and play him in Cup games as I think he’s earned that.

Have to hand it to the Villa management team, when it comes to transfers they’re definitely keeping their cards close to their chest.

Bill Pearson June 11, 2019 at 11:48 am .

Pablo Fornals
    The rumour mill is now in full swing and Aston Villa seem to be at the heart of it.

You see a link like this with the word ‘MEDICAL’ and it sets the social media frenzy off in style..

Pablo Fornals is the latest name being banded around, literally everywhere on Twitter.

£28m pound deals are mentioned and medicals booked in for Wednesday. Before you know it the rumour has swirled around quicker than Donald Trump’s toupee in a gale.

There doesn’t seem to be any real credible suggestion that Villa are in the running at all.

West Ham are being heavily linked with the Villareal stage and according to Sun hack Alan Nixon, there’s nothing to see here

Pat 57 June 11, 2019 at 11:58 am .

Yes Bill, it looks like this one might be just paper talk…

Hitchens 60 June 11, 2019 at 12:59 pm .

Love the Donald Trump quip Bill – made me laugh 🙂

Hitchens 60 June 11, 2019 at 1:12 pm .

Sky have WHU in for Fornals. Someone got their claret & blues mixed up 🙂

Bum Bum June 12, 2019 at 3:18 pm .

David Cameron?

Bill Pearson June 11, 2019 at 1:18 pm .

Yes seen that Hitch, they stand a better chance being a London club .

Pat 57 June 12, 2019 at 12:58 am .

From Christian Purslow –

“We have a very well organised recruitment department now under Suso’s (Pitarch’s) leadership. We’ve got some really great young recruiters, and ones with experience.They’ve been working meticulously for many weeks.

We will be inundated with both suggestions and media speculation – that won’t impact us one iota. We will do it thoughtfully and carefully.”

Well said, just hope they keep to it.

Holte66 June 12, 2019 at 8:29 pm .

Someone at work has told me there was a leaked fixture list which is due to be announced tomorrow morning. If the leak is genuine then we are at home to Leicester on Sunday for first game back in the premier league.

Big Fat Ron June 12, 2019 at 9:19 pm .

Has the Hause deal officially gone through yet?

Pat 57 June 13, 2019 at 12:07 am .

Kalvin Philips from Leeds anyone?

I must say I found him Leeds most annoying player when we played them which must mean he played well.He stood out for me every time I saw Leeds play.

He’s 23 and a very physical holding mid-fielder. At £14 million I honestly think he might be a good bet. I’ll watch this one with interest.

Holte66 June 13, 2019 at 9:03 am .

Spurs away! Not fake news this time.