The EFL sign £595 mill Sky deal; Villa ain’t happy and are holding a rebel meeting

I’ve just been looking at this story and and according to Dan Roan’s (BBC sport editor) tweet, it seems there is going to be a meeting for the rebel clubs at Villa park today.
Hence it’s safe to say that Villa are definitely involved, even though it was said we weren’t, by Christian Purslow.

They make the point that the 72 EFL clubs will receive £119 million a year.
Pretty much the same as what Burnley got last season.

That can’t be right.

But the rebels also go on to deny greed and say they want a better deal for all EFL clubs.
This, in my opinion, is the way to go.
I’m all for an equitable agreement that favours the whole EFL, as much as I suspect that many of you will just want us to get as much as we can, as a club.
Else we just end up looking like a PL top six club MK2 and we create an even bigger gap than already exists in the EFL and are playing even more into Sky’s hands.

Apparently, the Championship representatives for the EFL are Brentford, Bristol City and Reading.
Do we think they have enough muscle to haggle with Sky?
Or are they fairly representative of the Championship on the whole and probably reasonable choices?

Keeping my neutral head on, I have to say I think it’s the latter, although that doesn’t suit the bigger clubs.

But keeping my common-sense and business head on, I smell a split seriously being threatened by the rebels.

The gulf is just too big and the top 6/7 in the EFL, in Villa, Leeds, Boro, Forest, Derby and the Sheffs (top of my head guess) probably outweigh the rest of the league.
But then, there are currently an inordinate amount of big clubs in the EFL, I’d say.
Sky would be in the proverbial if those clubs were to be promoted, while the likes of Bournemouth etc were to be relegated, in the next couple of years.

It’s a tricky one, but given our tradition, I just don’t want us to be seen as abandoning the smaller clubs in the pursuit of a short-term advantage.
I’m proud of the fact that we’re very much perceived as a club that does the right thing and plays fairly.
Is that an old-fashioned way of thinking?
Perhaps it is, I don’t know.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate, before anyone wants to shoot me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Holte66 November 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm .

The days of football being a working mans game died when Sky stamped on terrestrial TV and created the premier top six. I am to blame amongst all the others who have taken out the Sky sports subscription to line the pockets of the elite. When Villa were in the premier league I didn’t have much interest in the championship barring the big games and play offs. Therefore I can’t get annoyed that now we are a championship club that we are getting a tiny slice of the Sky TV money. I didn’t care about championship clubs TV revenue when we was a premier club so we are where we are and get what we deserve. Talk of a breakaway league are as pathetic as when a European super league was being muted. It’s all about greed and it does make me annoyed when transfer fees of £100 million for top clubs are becoming commonplace, considering children in need raised £50 million! I won’t have sleepless nights if we don’t get promoted. Changing topic ever so slightly and if Brexit ever happens we might see a reduction in the overpriced foreign influx and get some of our homegrown talent through the ranks.

2. Holte66 November 21, 2018 at 5:53 pm .

Hopefully I will get 52% agreeing with this view.

1. Bum Bum November 21, 2018 at 11:16 pm .

But what about the 48% who refuse to accept the result? 😁

1. Holte66 November 22, 2018 at 12:38 pm .

We will have to have another vote. Maybe if we lose against Small Heath we should all complain until we get the game replayed! 🤪

2. Pat 57 November 22, 2018 at 12:36 pm .

“Hopefully I will get 52% agreeing with this view.”

Only if you put it on the side of a bus 🙂

3. Originallondonlion November 22, 2018 at 6:09 pm .

I have no real convictions about the deal, I have not got Sky and refuse to buy it. I have got BT because I use business-grade internet, and wish they had bid.

One thing stands out though. It is alleged the basics of the deal were circulated to clubs before the CEO went to sign it, with no significant alterations expected. There were significant alterations, Sky paying less and the deal running for more years, yet the CEO did not revert back to the clubs before signing. If that is true, (s)he should be sacked.

1. Hitchens60 November 22, 2018 at 10:03 pm .

Agreed OLL and I believe that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I also believe questions should be asked of the Chairman and whether the representatives of the EFL clubs on the Board were sufficiently robust in their roles.

Reading the statement made by the ‘rebels’ and from various other Chairman there appears to be a consistent theme of poor or no communication with little or no time allowed to clubs to make a meaningful contribution.

I suspect this is going to run for some time with legal action instigated by – the majority, if not all of – the Championship clubs.

4. Pat 57 November 22, 2018 at 11:30 pm .

On another subject the Mail says that Steer might be on his way back in January –

Nyland not cutting it with Smith or just back up?

5. Bill Pearson November 23, 2018 at 8:31 am .

OLL,
    I’ve lost my patience with Bt been a customer for 60 years and yesterday I rang them to ask why has my bill jumped £12 a month more. They wasn’t interested in reducing it but told I’m in contract till May next year and nothing they can do till then. Sky and Bt are a money grabbing organization that needs to be capped, it seems that they have got the footballing market trapped in offering money taken from fans wanting to see their favourite teams.time to be rebellious and stand our ground. VPN.

6. Hitchens60 November 23, 2018 at 10:51 am .

For those interested in following the battle between the Championship clubs and the EFL Board. Smacks of the Board not advising clubs of changes to the draft agreement knowing (or suspecting) they wouldn’t accept them.

As the clubs are refusing to accept the deal, one development to watch for might be the clubs refusing to allow Sky cameras into their grounds – that would really set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Bring it on

1. Hitchens60 November 23, 2018 at 10:58 am .

Slaughter & May great choice – nothing like a bit of S&M – lmao.