Stoke 0 – 1 Villa; We’re gonna win the league!

Well, maybe not, but it was great to hear the fans singing it, wasn’t it?

So, what to say?
Simply put, I thought this was a very competent performance against a very poor Stoke side.

I’m not taking anything away from us, as you can only perform in comparison to the team you play, but Stoke did seem to have very strange tactics, before Crouch came on.
I can only assume Mark Hughes was overly worried about our threat on the counter-attack, but whatever the reason was, the opposition didn’t attack with any numbers; something I found quite strange, given our poor defence last season.
Note the “last season” part there, as we looked way better to me in the Full Back areas.
Cissokho looked very solid, but I’m happy to say that Alan Hutton did too.
To my own astonishment, for a large part of the game, I was actually looking to give Hutton MOTM, but I feel Vlaar pinched it overall. At least you can’t say I’m biased against Hutton.

In fact, I thought it was a very good defensive performance overall, with Vlaar and Sendoros getting very good blocks in and you have to wonder if the CBs are playing a more relaxed style because they aren’t babysitting kids.
I suspect so personally.

Most of the play revolved around the midfield and I don’t think anyone was outstanding here, myself.
It was all very much functional stuff and no one stood out.
N’Zog looked bright in small glimpses, but I thought it was right that he was hooked, with Grealish to replace him.
It was a good game for the latter to come on and his start was steady, just what I wanted to see.
I suspect he’ll be getting plenty of game time this season and rightly so, as I get the feeling he has that “something” about him, which could lead to something special.

Onto the attackers then and I’m not sure there.
Gabby didn’t particularly impress me, but where it seemed he missed a sitter, I don’t believe he did and it looked to me that Shawcross stole the ball off him with a very good challenge.
As for Weimann, he didn’t get that much of a look in really, but he won the ball against some poor Stoke defending and put it in the net. You can’t ask for more than that, can you?

So all in all, an excellent win in a game where I really didn’t expect us to get anything. Happy days.

Big shout for those that were there.
There wasn’t vast amounts to sing about until we scored, but the Stoke fans were pretty subdued too.
Of course, once we scored, there was only one set of fans in it.
So much for Stoke fans being the noisiest.

I’m off to give a Stokey friend of mine some abuse.
As you do.

1. Jay Dee August 19, 2014 at 6:26 pm . Reply

They are coming thick & fast now just like the Sanchez stories this is a goer IMO

1. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm . Reply

Could be right Jay Dee. Any thoughts on work permit issues?

1. Jay Dee August 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm . Reply

Can’t see it being a problem

1. Tekkers48 August 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm .

I read somewhere he has a Spanish passport so work permit not required.

1. Jay Dee August 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm . Reply
  2. Lionheart August 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm . Reply

Once one sight mentions it they all follow lead.. so wouldn’t read too much into various sites reporting it..

Look at the Riise story.. four different links to it now on newsnow.. and we know it’s rubbish..

1. Jay Dee August 19, 2014 at 6:52 pm . Reply

Look at the Sanchez story which I followed from rumour to signing

1. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm . Reply

Jay Dee you did but I also think Lionheart has a point; metro has now picked it up. That’s not to say that the Blanco link doesn’t have substance. It will be interesting to see whether the story develops over the next 24 hours rather than different media outlets basically running the same piece.

1. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 7:13 pm . Reply

That’s the Riise link not Blanco

1. Jay Dee August 19, 2014 at 7:26 pm .

Riise one would be a pointless signing

3. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 7:47 pm . Reply

Sorry Jay Dee I’ve completely bo**oxed what I was trying to say – must be the large martinis or maybe it was the wine!! Metro picked up the Riise story to bear out Lionheart’s point. I was then referring to development of the Blanco links over the next 24 hours! At least I knew what I meant LOL

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm . Reply

Drink both Hitchens it’ll sort the old bonce out get it down yer.

1. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm . Reply

Giddy; I did, I have but it hasn’t worked! Any suggestions?

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 19, 2014 at 8:32 pm . Reply

You’ve got to go top shelf mate I recommend port & brandy mixed lovely jubbly. 😀

1. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 8:42 pm .

Sounds good to me. Went for another martini but the missus intercepted and I’m now under observation lol!

2. GIDDYVILLAN August 19, 2014 at 8:45 pm .

LOL mate that’s why I’m single. 😀

4. Benno August 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm . Reply

Riise would be a terrible signing. Blanco is the type of player we need, but there may be work permit issues as he only has 2 caps for Argentina. Although he plays in Ukraine already, so maybe it wouldnt be an issue, not sure how that works. The Holtby link is interesting too. At least he knows that we need someone in that position. I just hop it doesnt end up being liek the kiyotake chase last year when we ended up with nobody!

1. Tekkers48 August 19, 2014 at 8:18 pm . Reply
      1. Hitchens 60 August 19, 2014 at 8:22 pm . Reply

Thanks Tekkers; clears that point up

5. GIDDYVILLAN August 19, 2014 at 8:22 pm . Reply

Have besiktas hired the services of the SCUMs head groundsmen?????

6. Lamberk August 19, 2014 at 9:22 pm . Reply

New chief executive on way. Tom Fox from Arsenal!!!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm . Reply

Just read this must mean he’s not selling. Why would fox leave arsenal if he’s highly regarded there. At least he understands football