Rotherham 1 – 2 Villa; Do you want to bet against us?

A missed penalty and Mings sent off for two yellows within 34 minutes.
Yet still we managed to battle back from a goal down.
Do I need to say any more than the headline?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Pat 57 April 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm . Reply

I’ve just had a look at the highlights and I agree that a yellow card for Mings, especially as the ref knew it would turn into a red, was very harsh indeed.

However, I’ve had a look at Jack’s goal several times and it looked incredibly familiar. I watch Barca a lot and if you inserted Messi for Jack and Jordi Alba for Elmo then you’ll see why I thought it looked like I’d seen it before. A really great footballing goal.

I’d like to see more like that.

Bill Evans April 11, 2019 at 3:52 pm . Reply

A second half performance the like of which most Villa fans will have never seen before. John McGinn again was tremendous and one of the players that totally made up for the missing Mings. What a team we have. Reminds me of the 70’s.

Holte66 April 11, 2019 at 6:17 pm . Reply

At half time I would have snapped your arm off for a point so I was surprised we managed to get the win with 10 men. McGinn is simply awesome and undoubtedly one of the best signings ever. (thank you Steve Bruce) It’s a shame Mings isn’t available Saturday although Jedinak was excellent considering he has hardly played this season. All the players that started second half should start against Bristol City with maybe a 4-4-2 to allow Kodja to partner Abraham. Otherwise its Kodja out wide and either Adomah or El Ghazi. One things for sure is Bristol City play football as opposed to Rotherham’s hoofball. Not a criticism because they played well to suit their strengths and very similar to Stoke under Pulis. Bristol City will offer a different style of attack with Weimann bang on form and I’m sure will be up for it. Jedinak will be tested and will need more protection so maybe Whelan for Hourihane.

nath April 11, 2019 at 8:42 pm . Reply

refereeing has been a constant headache in championship. its a problem of all clubs not just villa and like the weather the referee is out of our control.

i thought the result last night was another massive statement to all fellow promotion contenders, apart from the top two who will be grateful to miss having to play us in playoffs. like fulham last year we have the momentum.

i thought before the game last night it was gonna be a major test. rotherham tested our defence and our desire, but we came through it and in the end was comfortable. mings will be missed against bristol city, but they wont load up crosses and throws into our box like they did last night. it will be a different test and one which will be another examination of our promotion. weimann is not unknown to us and we should all know his dangers and movement and pace in behind is two. i thought he was a decent finisher too

lastly we are closing in on wba, but still behind them by 4 points or so. yet the bookmakers all have villa shorter odds than wba for promotion. work that one out

Bill Pearson April 12, 2019 at 7:25 am . Reply

Well you carn’t get better than Manager of the month, Dean Smith was declared that for March, he also had his photo taken with Terry and his two coaches. How many managers do that when they win, nice touch Dean, showing together we work.

AlfieAVFC April 11, 2019 at 10:09 pm . Reply

Well, at least my family don’t want to; mom predicts a win when we are one nil down – great considering we were lacking that one little bit and great as she bagged a nice tenner as well. Moral of the story: DO NOT BET AGAINST US. I am against people who lack faith in their team in this league. I can understand betting against us if we are playing Liverpool or Man City if we get promoted but other than that you can kind of say that’s not on. Overall great win, Rotheram fans should be very happy with that performance as again they desrved at least a draw just like Sheffield Wednesday did last week.

Hitchens60 April 12, 2019 at 7:22 am . Reply

That’s torn it!

Deano wins manager of the month – which is as it should be – but the award also seems to attract a losing ‘curse’.

Congratulations Deano – let’s hope we can keep this going.

Bill Pearson April 12, 2019 at 7:26 am . Reply

Beat me Hitch by 3 minutes. 😊

Hitchens 60 April 12, 2019 at 6:43 pm . Reply

Staying with my Ipswich mate. May well go down to see Ipswich give Small Heath a bit of a kicking tomorrow – would make my weekend 🙂

Holte66 April 12, 2019 at 7:19 pm . Reply

Apparently when the Villa team bus was about to leave Rotherham the other night, someone stated that McGinn wasn’t on board before being told that he had decided to run back home.

AlfieAVFC April 12, 2019 at 7:53 pm . Reply

I saw that Holte66 lol! Class player for hopefully a class team in the Premier League some day. If we go up then John McGinn’s price tag will be 20 times more than we payed for him !

Holte66 April 12, 2019 at 9:22 pm . Reply

AlfieAVFC, I hope you’re right and he will be a premier league player, but for Villa next season! Smith is building a new dynasty that reminds me of Sir Ron’s team back in 1975. If he can get us to the top flight we will have the right owners to push us on.
      I booked tickets a while back for tomorrow’s game so really hoping managers curse doesn’t happen after MOTM for Smith. UTV!