Prospective signings and what to think.

Just a quick one first, to say that although internet here has been utter rubbish, I have been looking in to read the replies.
It’s fair to say that some of the debate has been erm, “robust” at times and I was concerned that things might have got totally out of hand, with me not being able to moderate.
I’m happy to say they didn’t, as far as I can see and I thank you all for that.

Anyway, on to the important stuff and it seems Elmohamody’s signing is imminent (as per Langford’s contact again).
I’ve got to be honest and say I’m not sure what this one is about.
Don’t we already have four right backs?
OK, Elmo offers more going forwards and will offer Adohmah competition, but at the same time I’d expect to be losing one of our existing RB’s to compensate.
I don’t believe Bruce is ready to accept that Bree has been a failure yet (not that I think he has either), so it won’t be him leaving.
De Laet’s value will be really low and his wages high, so I can’t see it’s him either.
Richards, well we’re stuck with him, that’s simple.

Which only leaves Alan Hutton, which for me would be a shame.
I know he’s Marmite, but I’ve always supported him as, if even though I don’t believe he’s particularly good, so he’s been one of our at least triers, when many have just looked far from bothered.
I personally feel there’s a place for that sort of player in a bone idle, “couldn’t give a toss, I’m earning loads” squad.
Which all in all tells me that Elmohamady offers a similar attitude, but is just seen by Bruce as a better, more threatening player than Hutton.

Well, I hope the manager’s right, because from accounts I’ve read, the player threw a bit of a wobbler when he couldn’t get the move from Hull he wanted and his form has been frankly poor over the last couple of seasons.
Whatever, it would appear that he was Marmite too, as some Hull fans can’t believe they’re letting him go so cheap, while others can’t wait for him to be gone.
The player isn’t quite finished yet, you would hope and the manager must be confident he can do a job.
I really hope so.

Whelan’s also looking likely, at last and I’ve given my opinion on him. Back-up for Jedinak and it makes sense.
Where I’ll worry is if he plays beside Jedinak.

And then there’s Xia’s latest tweet, where I’m flummoxed.
I would guess there will be movement both ways, with possibly McCormack (his days are surely numbered?), Amavi and Veretout leaving, plus Hutton.

All of that should leave plenty of room for players coming in, in positions I don’t need to keep going on about.
Surely there has to be, as I have to agree with the likes of JVillan in that I’m totally underwhelmed with our business at this point in time.
Still, there’s plenty of time for the club to change my view, now that we’re getting down to the nitty-gritty and clubs on both sides begin to panic.

Here’s to a couple of more inspiring signings, which I’m sure will come.

UTV, even if you might not agree with my thoughts!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Bill Pearson July 19, 2017 at 4:45 pm .

HomeSportFootballaston villa transfer news
    Aston Villa news and transfer rumours LIVE: Ahmed Elmohamady signs!
    The latest AVFC news from Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 5:19 pm .

Bill…are you sure its not just me making it up again? πŸ™‚

UTV

Bill Pearson July 19, 2017 at 6:36 pm .

No Mate, your the man, caught it 8 minutes after it was announced, Was going to ring you to do it but I’m your deputy so you could rest.

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 5:51 pm .

Welcome Elmo UTV

OohAhPaulMcGrath July 19, 2017 at 5:59 pm .

Another underwhelming signing. Very lazy from what IV read and Bruce sees no wrong in him

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 6:10 pm .

Samba came with one hell of a shite reputation but since he’s been wearing the claret & blue he’s been one of the bright sparks in the squad give Elmo a chance ffs

OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2017 at 9:41 pm .

Samba is another error prone defender. I remember when QPR signed him he came in huge wages and was a major liability

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 6:03 pm .

Just seen a photo of glen whelan at the training ground in casual clothes by JT & shabby watching a behind close doors friendly so I would assume things are progressing there

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 6:18 pm .

There you go JV….I made Whelan up as well! πŸ™‚

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 6:20 pm .

Yes mate please please stop making this persistent bollox up 😁

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 6:34 pm .

Giddy…. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

jvillan July 19, 2017 at 9:39 pm .

when i said whelan your said your man said no, but funny your man didnt get birr in january, bruce has leaked all transfers since he come to villa his way of keeping media mates happy, and as for a good window what a laugh elmo has nearly has many relegations as spud,

Langfordvilla July 20, 2017 at 9:28 am .

Lol ……does anyone know what this means????? understanding Dr T’s tweets is easier than deciphering this!!

UTV#part of the pride

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 6:33 pm .

2 more solid signings…impressed with our transfer window this time!

1. PL class CB……JT
      2. Elmohamady…..promoted twice
      3. Johnstone…..good young keeper (if he wasn’t, Mourinho would have dumped him by now)
      4. Whelan great experience, PL regular for a number of years = greatly needed experience!
      5. Samba….excellent back up (if he signs), replacing Elphick at no cost whatsover!

All this for approx Β£2 mil in transfer fees! and one PL class CB, JT wages being covered by a sponsorship….very shrewd move by the owner and board!

Shipped out, or nearly shipped out….Elphick, Gil, Sanchez, Veretout, Amavi(?)…none of these played for us regularly last season for one reason or another!

Few more wasters to get rid of yet, but I’m sure we’re working on it!

UTV #part of the pride…..We’re going to piss this league, no doubt about it!

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 7:12 pm .

Add Cissokho to the list as well….credit to the owner, board and management…..a championship winning team, very few left from the relegation squad and a profit making transfer window!

UTV#part of the pride πŸ™‚

Hitchens 60 July 19, 2017 at 7:17 pm .

According to the Mail Veretout didn’t turn up for his medical today amidst rumours that Fiorentina are trying to hijack the deal with a €7m bid (rumoured St Etienne had agreed a deal at Β£4.5m about €6 (and a bit!) Not sure what that says about Veretout but for me someone who has been pushing to go back to St Etienne and then behave like that is not someone I want to see in claret and blue. The quicker he goes the better.

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm .

Mate he had made it clear he didn’t want to be a villa player this season I’m not bothered who he ends up with tbh

nath July 19, 2017 at 8:02 pm .

just hope the door didn’t injury him on the way out, we need the transfer fee lol

Andrew July 20, 2017 at 6:27 am .

Mourinho solely hasn’t found anyone to buy Johnstone, or he would have. If he was at all rated, he’d be second choice to De Gea instead of an awful Romero. But he’s not, and will be let go once his contract is up without even a thought.

Bill Pearson July 19, 2017 at 6:40 pm .

Langfords is our hero, Langford is our hero la lar lar lar, ho he’s a jolly good fellow oh he’s a jolly good fellow, and so do all of us. Yipppeee. Keep it coming mate.

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 6:55 pm .

Cheers Bill….I’m buzzin for the new season….bring it on!

UTV#part of the pride πŸ™‚

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 7:18 pm .

Oh to be a happy 😊 clapper UTV VTID SOTC

nath July 19, 2017 at 7:35 pm .

veretout gone 4.5 mill we have to get a grip on wasting money. some say he was decent, but again we lost half of the money we laid out. anybody see the youngster hayes came on yesterday. he was spaying the ball around, he was always looking for a pass always offering himself. we have to trust our youth more tishbola 5 million another 5 million gone. lydon is probably around the same development stage as tishbola

results don’t matter, not in pre season i av said before, its true the players are doing lots of fitness training and the games are just played as practice, they are avoiding heavy contact,so if the opposition are flying in hard they will have more success. also this year we have had more friendlies arranged here in uk which is better because the teams are also in their preseason warm up. usually we got to germany or other european destinations all are on hols so them games are too easy.

of the game i thought terry and samba were very good, they were the start if all our attacks. terry and samba and lansbury were like three quarter backs orchestrating play. i agree we break down last third but this is teething problems. they bought elmo which bruces knows well and he can cross a decent ball. i saw a great solid platform from where we will attack from, the full back / wing backs will have great comfort in attacking knowing they will be covered.

nath July 19, 2017 at 7:39 pm .

can anybody remember two seasons ago the year we went down. didn’t we win most the friendlies looking good. my memory is fading, but i recall we looked good and ppl were dreaming of better days and we hardly won a game. further proof pre season results are little indications to what kind of season you are going to have

Hitchens 60 July 20, 2017 at 8:02 am .

Nath – that’s what I recall as well.

GIDDYVILLAN July 19, 2017 at 8:08 pm .

Mate veretout hasn’t gone yet never turned up for his booked medical with St Etienne

nath July 19, 2017 at 8:18 pm .

i just reading this now, i saw hitchs post and now reading italian club offered him. he will be gone soon lol

Sarcastic Savo July 19, 2017 at 7:49 pm .

I wanted Bruce last season. Based on his own record of getting tea,s out of this division he was the best man for the job.

However, hand on heart in the 2 Windows he’s had and the money he’s spent can anyone realistically say we are now a better squad who is more equipped to get out of this division than before he came?

I’d love nothing more than to be proven wrong but I’ve lost so much faith in the bloke based on style, performances and tactics that it’s going to take something pretty special to get me back onside.

Hope I am made to eat lots of humble pie but I’m sure this season will be a failure.

UTV.

nath July 19, 2017 at 7:57 pm .

i believe the squads strong now than under rdm. terry and samba are both world class performers. everybody will see this when the games start. they are more than just defenders, they will be a force in opposition box. they are organizing, inspiring and orchestrating play like the sweepers of yester days.

Langfordvilla July 19, 2017 at 8:18 pm .

Savo….yes ‘hand on heart’ we are miles better than we were this time last year IMO,….its the reason that we WILL go up in May!

UTV#part of the pride

OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2017 at 9:37 pm .

Agreed but it’s takes us back to the usual question. If Bruce goes then who comes in. We could end up with Terry as manager and that would be a major dusaster

nath July 19, 2017 at 8:26 pm .

glenn whelan transfer fee 1.5 mill that is a lot for a player his age. but he is MASSIVELY important. yesterday lansbury played that deep role, he did ok but he is wasted back there, he is much better at dashing foward, making late runs into box. whelan is a better player at the holding role. πŸ™‚ i will be happy when he signs. 1.5 mill he will be worth that if he helps us back to the promise land

nath July 19, 2017 at 8:35 pm .

is that whelan at villa doing medical ???

like langford has already stated, the business this summer bruce has brought in top players. yeah they might be just past =their vintage years, but they are still a class above championship. bruce has assembled a decent squad for no money well in transfer fee.