Premier league to restart on June 17th

As above, reports are suggesting the Premier league have agreed to restart on the 17th, which isn’t even three weeks away.
The extra bonus is that our game against Sheffield United will be what seems the first to kick off, with Manchester City playing Arsenal.
These are apparently the two games in hand.

It seems that it’s a bit of an odd day to choose, being a Wednesday, but it suggests there’s just a massive rush to get games completed as quickly as possible.
To quote the article;

“The two matches are the “games in hand” which will take all 20 clubs up to 29 games played with the remaining 90 fixtures scheduled in a frenetic six-week period, with matches played over seven weekends and two rounds of midweek fixtures, before the league season is completed on the weekend of August 1-2. Each game will be given a live television slot. The FA Cup Final would then be scheduled for the following Saturday, August 8.”

Reading further into the article, here’s the reason for the rush;

“The Premier League had pencilled in June 12 as the date for games to resume but accepted, following protestations from managers, that this was too soon. It was argued by some managers that June 26 was a more realistic date but the clubs were resistant to this because they lose money in rebates to broadcasters for every additional week of delay after July 16, the original end date for the season.”

So of course, it’s all about the money.
Which I suppose is fair enough as it would be the clubs losing out.

Perhaps the other good news is that all the games will be televised.
The article doesn’t expand on that, but you’d expect that to be all the games that were scheduled to be shown live by Sky and BT.
But what about the rest?
Assuming all the other games were only down to be shown as not live, does that mean Sky and BT will be expected to pay extra?
To my mind, there’s no chance of them being shown for free and it seems a win-win for the broadcasters and the Premier league. Given that no-one will be able to attend, you would think there will be massive demand to watch and the only way to get to watch will be to pay?
Unless you know other means, of course (ahem).

In other news, La Ligue will be broadcast for free on the Premier sports channel if you’re a Sky subscriber, beginning June the 8th and lasting for the rest of the month.
Not that I’m overly bothered about that, but it might interest some of you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hitchens60 June 2, 2020 at 12:53 pm .

Guys, have a question for you. My grandson (poor student) is trying to get a ST refund. He says the AV website states refunds are available but he can’t find out how to apply. Anyone have any info on that? Thanx

Originallondonlion June 5, 2020 at 11:15 am .

Congratulations to the Villa Ladies on promotion. Fingers crossed the laddies stay up.

DSVilla June 6, 2020 at 6:35 pm .

Don’t think the laddies are going to stay up Hitch. I didn’t realise you were Scottish;)

Hitchens60 June 7, 2020 at 2:46 pm .

Or OLL even 🙂

Have all sorts of ancestry me – the only indisputable fact is that I come from a long line of bas**rds which happens when your female antecedents worked in service downstairs!

Originallondonlion June 8, 2020 at 12:14 am .

Me too. I am Scottish and my great-grandmother serviced two bothers and was married to neither in Dundee.

DSVilla June 8, 2020 at 3:16 pm .

Ha – Sorry OLL and you Hitch. Hope you are all doing well in this spell. I have to say I’m not looking forward to the footie resumption. I’ve watched a couple of Bundesliga matches and without the crowd it’s just pretty sterile. I guess I might feel different if we weren’t in the mire.

Hitchens60 June 9, 2020 at 5:14 pm .

No probs DS. I’m with you on the reopening of football – it’s so artificial. Unfortunately, I doubt whether I’ll be able to resist watching the Villa on Monday!

Bill Pearson.. June 5, 2020 at 3:26 pm .

Confirmed Wolves fixtures
    Saturday, June 20, West Ham (a) 5.30pm – Sky Sports

Wednesday, June 24, Bournemouth (h) 6pm – BT Sport

Saturday, June 27, Villa (a) 12.30pm – BT Sport

Confirmed Aston Villa fixtures
    Wednesday, June 17, Sheffield United (h) 6pm – Sky Sports

Sunday, June 21, Chelsea (h) 4.15pm – Sky Sports

ADVERTISING

Bill Pearson.. June 5, 2020 at 9:43 pm .

Test.. in moderation

Bill Pearson.. June 6, 2020 at 5:45 pm .

Today’s game at Villa park with the Albion was a draw. 2-2

Bill Pearson.. June 7, 2020 at 4:55 pm .

Cheers Badger . Hope back to normally.

gerry June 7, 2020 at 5:55 pm .

Jack Grealish and Keinan Davis scored for the hosts as they twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with the Baggies, for whom Kamil Grosicki and Filip Krovinovic found the back of the net.