Notts Forest 0 -1 Villa; Disciplined, professional and the experience showed.

Well, Steve Bruce will feel justified in playing that weakened team in the FA cup and fair play to him, as today’s result says he got it right.

Forest play some nice football, but they totally lack when it comes to effectiveness.
And as much as they played the better footy in the first half, according to all the stats, so we countered them with what was a very solid performance from the defence and midfield.

I have to be honest and say I found the first half bored me witless, as apart from the goal, which came against the run of play and Terry’s header, we created nothing.
That said, Forest did nothing either.

The second half, however, made for much better viewing, with both sides opening up more.
While I still felt Forest looked the better side when they crossed the centre line, so they were still pretty ineffective.

Whereas we had that bit of a difference in a superb cross from Snodgrass, combined with some really nice movement from Scott Hogan to nod in the winner.

Add to that that our defence was very solid and we frustrated the Forest players with some old tricks like deliberately getting your body in the way and totally denying the opposition player a fair chance, but drawing the foul.
I hold my hands up and say I don’t like to see that sort of cynical play at all, but we’ve had it done against us enough times and I’m beginning to accept that it’s part of the game.
Add in the slowing the game down and a bit of time-wasting and it was all good.
If you like that sort of thing.
I say that as someone who’s brain blows a fuse when it’s done against us.

So all in all, very professional and I’m certainly not going to complain, as we got the points that keep us on a roll.
As was pointed out by the comms, we have what would seem some very favourable games coming up, where we might be able to apply some serious pressure to the teams above us.

We’re looking in a very reasonable position, I feel, as long as we can keep racking the points up.

What pleased me most though?
I thought Jack Grealish worked his nuts off, which suits us overall as a team, I think.
But I also felt that while he’s tracking back, so it takes the edge off his attacking game.
Which is the dilemma I’ve always had with him.

Still, never mind.
It’s 3 points in the bag and a very disciplined performance that I’m sure Steve Bruce will be delighted with.
He might even get some sleep tonight.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  1. Hitchens60 January 16, 2018 at 5:11 pm . Reply

See Prince William is doing his dad bit for the cause and George and Charlotte both have Villa kits (according to Hello magazine). Royal support for the future is secure (as befits our great club) UTV

2. Bill Pearson January 16, 2018 at 8:58 pm . Reply

Good new lads we have Ulloa, from a poster we miss .

1. Andrew January 16, 2018 at 9:06 pm . Reply

I’d believe it as Ulloa’s not in the squad against Fleetwood. And at home if he was to stay there, he’d be playing or at least a sub.

3. Bill Pearson January 16, 2018 at 9:02 pm . Reply

Two players by the weekend, you heard it first on here, the other is Man utd player.

4. Bill Pearson January 16, 2018 at 9:18 pm . Reply

It’s came from a good source Andrew, not let us down yet.

5. Andrew January 16, 2018 at 9:34 pm . Reply

I really hope you’re right. I don’t care much about Tuanzebe as he should be no better than a 4th choice center back.

1. Adam January 16, 2018 at 11:21 pm . Reply

By the sounds of it though Jose is only loaning him for guaranteed football. Could mean its in the loan deal he has to play if fit? Hope not as its disruptive for the team but wouldnt surprise me with Villa! Ulloa is a good deal but id rather Hogan keep his place over him for the forseeable if im honest. Good backup tho thats for sure.

1. Andrew January 17, 2018 at 12:41 am . Reply

Seems Bruce is trying to help his former club. There’s absolutely no reason we’d go after Tuanzebe if that was the case. Ohhhh, he put Sanchez in his pocket. When? In a cup game? Sanchez doesn’t even care about the club he plays at. Unless Bruce is scared Samba won’t come back and Terry will get injured again, he’s pointless. I swear if he goes to a back 5 or drops Chester…. Be absolutely pissed off. Unless we plan on moving him to midfield.

Ulloa will be a great signing. Hogan is decent but Ulloa is a must with kodjia out for the season.

6. Hitchens60 January 17, 2018 at 8:03 am . Reply

Interesting comments re transfers. Always rated Ulloa but not clear on why we need to bring in a Manure kid on loan particularly if we are forced to play him as part of the deal. Time will tell I suppose.

Ironically I was reading an article on Villa’s transfer model (or lack of it some might say) and loved the following line

…..’Couple these deals with the enigma that is Gabriel Agbonlahor, who seems to gather wages in combination with guest appearances at derby games for a living ……’

The other point made was that we spent £30m on three strikers who between them have managed 3 goals in the last 27 games! (OK, I know Kodjia is injured but it does make you think)

7. Holte 66 January 17, 2018 at 8:25 pm . Reply

Personally I wouldn’t be upset if we only signed Ulloa during transfer window. He would offer something different to Hogan although I would prefer Hogan to be our first choice while Kodja is out. Wasting our time trying to sign Manure kid especially if part of the deal is guaranteed football if fit. At the end of the day Jose has said if he goes it won’t ever be a permanent deal! If Elphick wants to leave then we will be forced to get someone in but hopefully we can hold on to him.

8. Holte 66 January 18, 2018 at 6:56 pm . Reply

It looks like Sanchez will be joining Manure as the highest paid player at a sickening £500,000 per week, which reminds me what I hate about the premier league. In a way I have enjoyed the championship more because it feels a bit more like the football league before 1991 and Sky’s destruction of the working mans game. A small part of me doesn’t want promotion purely to make up the numbers. It would require millions spending on players if we did get promoted just to survive relegation.

1. Hitchens60 January 18, 2018 at 7:21 pm . Reply

Holte – completely understand your sentiments and have felt similarly about the Premier League. If we get promoted we know it’s going to be a struggle to avoid relegation. But, and it’s a big but, we all want our Club to be the best and that has to be in the PL.

Can Xia deliver (and success in modern football is, apart from the ODD exception, driven by money) only time will tell.

So, despite misgivings, I keep hoping we can achieve automatic promotion.

UTV

1. Holte 66 January 18, 2018 at 7:31 pm . Reply

It is right in what you say Hitchens in that we all want to repeat our glory years albeit a couple of seasons under Sir Ron. Just hate the thought that to achieve this unless we do a Leicester is by signing prima donna’s and mercenaries and paying them in a month more than most will earn throughout a lifetime. 😡

1. Bill Pearson January 18, 2018 at 8:20 pm . Reply

Took the words out of my mouth holte, Leicester did it no reason we don’t, I thought we get parashoot money? , all will be revealed soon and we never know happier days ahead hopefully.

9. B6 January 18, 2018 at 7:37 pm . Reply

One thing I do know. Since I moved back to the UK and starting going to the games again it’s brought back my hunger and passion for the game. I guess we’re doing well helps a lot too.

I’m one, regardless what division we’re in next season, who’ll def be getting a season ticket.

UTV.

10. Holte 66 January 18, 2018 at 8:37 pm . Reply

I would be interested to hear from fellow Villans who out of the current squad could cut it in the premier league. Assuming this is Terrys only season, I would suggest Chester, Hourihane, Grealish, Adomah, Hogan, Kodja and Johnstone if he stays. The youngsters we have show promise but need to establish themselves as first team regulars.