Man Utd 2-2 Villa; Disappointed, but also highly encouraged

Cutting a long story short, I’ve just bought a new 65″ telly and it’s festooned with connections which don’t suit the (older) rest of my setup, meaning I couldn’t watch the match and comment here on the site at the same time.
I’ll sort it when I get time, but it’s why I was quiet.

So for once, I actually called the score right and while I’d have taken it before the game, I’m now somewhat disappointed that we didn’t actually win it.
Trezeguet’s goal was called offside because he was actually offside a couple of seconds before he scored.
I actually think there might be an argument that the original play was over when it came back out, but maybe it was the right call. I certainly wasn’t doing my nut about it and saw it as more of the usual against Man Utd, where little goes our way.

And then one of their shots hits the post and goes in off Heaton’s back.
Same old, same old, I’m thinking.

Yet this time, I saw something different too.
Man U weren’t getting the calls.
Actually, with my neutral head on I’d say we actually got more of the rub of the green. Against Man U, just to re-emphasize.
It’s intrigued me, this part, but I think it’s because for very long periods we actually looked the better side and it was Man U who were making the mistakes under pressure and not winning the second balls and challenges.

For clarity, I’m actually criticising Man U of something I’ve been complaining about, about our side for most of this season.
That’s been unheard of for donkey’s years when it comes to Aston Villa vs Man Utd and I’m really hopeful that this is a turning point.
Indeed, I suspect it will be.
We’ve taken on the mighty Man U on their own turf in front of 73,000 and in my opinion, more than matched them.
I know Utd aren’t the same team they were a few years back, but they’re still a big psycological hurdle to overcome.

The point is, if you can go to Old Trafford and put up a fight, who else is there to be frightened of?
We’ve faced Citeh, Arse and Spurs away. Yes, Liverpool at Anfield might be a worry, but we gave them a very decent game at home. And we’ve yet to play Leicester, who are on a roll.

Ah yes, Chelsea, who we happen to have next up.
A match where Deano has the upper hand on Lampard.
I’m certainly not overly worried about facing them at Stamford Bridge and believe we’ll at least give them a game.

And it’s this part that is different.
Contrast this with our last season in the premier league.
Whereas you knew we’d practically lost before we stepped on the pitch, now I think we have a chance against anyone.

So yes, my being disappointed today is a really good sign.
And I think we’re getting more nous about us.

We’ll be fine come the end of the season, no worries, although we’re still on a learning curve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Bill Pearson December 1, 2019 at 9:50 pm . Reply

Badger about 11 -12 minutes in a cracker , yes we could have won that but I’m happy with a draw.

nath December 2, 2019 at 6:29 am . Reply

trez was onside for the goal that was ruled out it was grealish the officals signalled offside for. he was late coming back onside. but i thought he was level. later they showed freeze picture where grealish back leg poking offside. nonsense he was onside and it was a goal.

i thought we should have scored more in the first half, took a lead into h/t i was amazed it ended level, just before they scored grealish failed to connect with trez set up right in front of goal, where any sort of connect was a certain goal. utd then went up the other end and got a equaliser which was most defiantly against the run of play and undeserved.

second half was more a even affair, i thought we had many chances again and so did utd. i thought the whole team was magnificent. yeah i was very disappointed, we failed to beat these muppets. but we played good football and if their was a team who deserved the three points it was villa.

i was disappointed with the abuse wesley is receiving on other social media, crazy to think after he was in that team who all did their bit, yes he did not score, but he did loads of work for the team. i thought his work merited more acknowledgement than abuse.

Bill Pearson December 2, 2019 at 9:34 am . Reply

I’ve got the match on again,, think we’re playing better😀 its on m u web site .
    The comments from the panel are saying how good we are now. Fred just been booked.. utv.

Bill Pearson December 2, 2019 at 4:12 pm . Reply

BFR ,It’s not beyond our dreams, I can remember the times we had the likes of Brian Little, Garry Shaw, and now Jack Supper Grealish, I like yourself would like to wipe that sarcastic twit Savage smile off his face. Still we could ask Dion Dublin to give him another smack. I think we are on the right road to start other clubs worrying about our talented Manager and assistant also no money worries, better times are coming to Villa Park.

Hitchens60 December 2, 2019 at 4:30 pm . Reply

Well said BFR and Bill.

badger123 December 2, 2019 at 7:16 pm . Reply

Fulham away in the cup.
    Not sure if that’s good or bad?

Bill Pearson December 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm . Reply

Just seen the draw, should be ok Badger,

DSVilla December 2, 2019 at 7:28 pm . Reply

Decent point yesterday, yet disappointing in some ways. Taking Badger’s point about rub of the green…i think since Man Utd have lost that aura of invincibility they had under Ferguson (and his strong personality), and Mourinho failed there, the opposition is no longer fearful, and neither are the referees.

I expect we would let Grealish go for £80M if that is what he wanted, and it’s a short career so I wouldn’t blame him if he went as we are probably a few seasons from challenging at that level. The big difference now is that the current owners would reinvest that money (and more) to ensure the team progresses. Gone (at least for now) are the days of losing a Dwight Yorke eg without a decent replacement.

Chelsea and Leicester will be tough, but if the team have the belief they can get something out of both matches.