GIDDYVILLAN May 31, 2015 at 8:12 am .

Fairplay third generation villan for your optimistic vision for the club,but unfortunately after yesterday I ain’t seeing it.sorry but it’s going to be a while for my to get over yesterday’s piss weak performance possibly I speak for many.

Hitchens 60 May 31, 2015 at 5:40 pm .

Chin up Giddy – keep the faith mate

steve May 31, 2015 at 8:15 am .

totally agree. I think we bottomed out under Lambert this year.
    Sherwood has a winning mentality and has had to play with the cards he had been dealt.
    now for a new pack.
    I know we are gutted about yesterday but we have struggled against teams who pass the ball through us for a long time.
    I bet there are some liverpool, spurs, Everton and many more players who wish they had a runner’s up medal in there collection rather than nothing.
    up the villa

langfordvilla May 31, 2015 at 8:40 am .

Root problem = Lerner underfunding = employing bad/inexperienced managers = coupled with underfunding = buy poor players who play play poor football = poor results = loss of confidence = poorer performances and poorer results = further loss of confidence = panic = replace poor/inexperienced manager with another poor/inexperienced manager = continuation of poor performances and poor results = poor position in league = even less funding = Lerner = root problem!

steve May 31, 2015 at 9:05 am .

problem – Lerner appoints experienced manager and throws 6 years of money at him. experienced manager buys lot of players on long term bumper contracts. experienced manager achieves nothing and walks cos he wants even more money = balancing books = downward spiral = fans pissed off.

langfordvilla May 31, 2015 at 9:26 am .

Steve = correct = Lerner, common denominator = must sell or must invest 🙂

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 11:36 am .

Problem is he picked the wrong experienced manager in mon

Davo May 31, 2015 at 2:04 pm .

Deadly picked MON!

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 3:15 pm .

Lerner is a big boy he still should of took advice elsewhere

Colonius81 June 1, 2015 at 5:33 pm .

Langford, steve, oohaah, Davo,

this is the best description of our plight summarised in a few comments that I have seen,
      I think this is exactly how things played out at a very high non detailed level.

we can argue the finer points but ultimately i agree with the above, the right money thrown at the wrong man .. or the right money thrown at the right man but as the game developed the right money was more and more each year .. then less money thrown at lesser managers in an attempt to stem losses while trying to consolidate .. downward spiral

as the original poster states though, possibly with the tv deal money, and the few positive points Sherwood has made so far with the addition of a more footballing CEO, we have more to be optimistic about right now than in the last 4/5 seasons.

here is hoping.

little8 May 31, 2015 at 10:24 am .

So let down yesterday even mark lawrenson said the noise from the villa fans was some of the loudest he had ever heard and hes done some huge games.The players let us down big time no shots ffs,one of the worst performances ever at wembley.

Sidforever May 31, 2015 at 10:28 am .

Still looking forward I have tried to estimate the value of our FA Cup run. The figures taken below are all taken from BBC website for attendance, Villa ticketing web page (with average sales price being assumed) and 45% (FA Cup income distribution from a tie). Based on these values, Villa’s FA Cup run was worth a potential £6.25m. In comparison to Lambert’s typical non FA Cup run, this additional income may be invested in the team.

Ticket Average Attendance Revenue Villa Income
    45%
    £
    FA Cup Final 70 89283 6249810 £2,812,415
    FA Cup Semi Final 43 85416 3672888 £1,652,800
    FA Cup 6th Round 25 39952 998800 £ 449,460
    FA Cup 5th Round 15 28098 421470 £ 189,662
    FA Cup 4th Round 12 27415 328980 £ 148,041
    FA Cup 3rd Round 10 21837 218370 £ 98,267

Prize Money £ 900,000

FA Cup Income £6,250,643

I really hope Mr Lerner would allow FA Cup £6.25m income + usual £17m transfer budget + potential Benteke sale £32.5 = £56m to be invested in new players. There is likely to be further income from certain players being sold. If we work on the assumption that this could be cost neutral, that is, salaries saved + transfer income would pay new players salaries. Remember, for example Bent will come off the wage bill.

If that above were to occur, I for one would be very positive about next season, again assuming every transfer made adds to the quality of the team and works out!

Finally, a sobering thought about income from the Premier League, if we had won against Burnley, our income could have been increased by £2.5m. Lets hope next season we can finish at least 8 places higher. If Villa finished where Stoke did this year, our income would increase from £65.65m to £74.8m, just over £9m more – al least one new good player.

banksie May 31, 2015 at 10:45 am .

Well after sherwood comments about telling experienced players they can go, I reckon from the team yesterday and players that didn’t play are guzan cissoko senderos nzogbia Westwood Sanchez Cole agbonlahor weimann then the obvious ones are Helenius luna sylla I reckon we are in for an interesting summer so let’s just hope we get sold but sold to the right people. Utv

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 11:38 am .

You forgot vlaar I pray he’s not here next ur complete injury prone dross utd are welcome to him even on a freebie

Davo May 31, 2015 at 2:06 pm .

Agree, only turns up for 1 in 4

pat57 May 31, 2015 at 11:00 am .

Totally agree with TGV. For the last few years the close season has been a respite from rubbish football and constant relegation dogfights.

I now find I’m looking forward to seeing what Tim does with the team and to see how they shape up next season. The one thing I’m sure of is that a Sherwood team, that is one bought and put together by him, certainly wouldn’t have played like they did yesterday. They might have lost but they would have lost trying to win.

I think it might take a few years so I wish Oohaah and the negative crowd would agree to wait and see and if we end up anywhere around the middle of the table to accept this as a massive improvement if we do. In the meantime lets all put our rose tinted glasses on and enjoy the summer.

Anyway saw my other team play last night Barca and THAT GOAL BY MESSI. What a magician that man is with a football. FANTASTIC

UTV and now for sun, barbies and beer. See you next season

OriginalLondonLion May 31, 2015 at 11:58 am .

Like you Pat, I am looking forward to the transfer window. Well over half the 26 registered players at Villa deserve to go.

Your second team choice – Barcelona – is a bit more exotic than mine – Bournemouth – but keep your eye on the friendlies booked. Bournemouth hosted Real Madrid last Summer and they are after Barca or Juve this Summer so you may get a chance to see your side in England.

TS has had to talk up the players he inherited, so when he said Delph could be a great captain I just put it down to necessary BS. However yesterday Delph showed why the armband should go elsewhere, he reverted to his scared boy character, completely the opposite from the Lionheart he was against Liverpool. Captains cannot afford that split personality, it transmits the fear throughout the team. I hope the armband next season goes to a player not yet at Villa.

pat57 May 31, 2015 at 12:07 pm .

@OLL Completely agree with your comment. I was just talking about this to my son a short while ago and we came to the conclusion that there no leaders in the team.

We need a couple of players in that are like Roy Keane (as a player not a manager) that will lead the team and if necessary bully them a bit. There’s no-one in the team at the moment that can do that so it will have to be someone who’s brought in.

I’m sure TS is well aware of this and he might bring in player who might not be the greatest in the world but who has the winning mentality and the will to back it up.

Interesting times ahead 🙂

Fastjet81 May 31, 2015 at 10:27 pm .

You mean Tim Sherwood needs to sign the new Tim Sherwood 🙂

jvillan May 31, 2015 at 1:02 pm .

on sherwood would anyone think that unless he was promised big funds would he not walk, in reality he has been a success 12 goals in 25 to 19 goals to 13 games, 5 league wins 3 cupwins with a team shellshocked losing 20 to hull
    going back to mon we recovered a fair bit of his spend plus had 3 top 6 finnishs a cup final since we spent 100 m and only benteke to show for it
    i hope sherwood can makes his mark on team ship out deadwood bring in quality

RW May 31, 2015 at 2:01 pm .

The only positive from yesterday is that it highlights the enormity of the task Sherwood has inherited – a win might have papered over it.
    His comments about a change of personnel are welcome – but does anyone understand the sheer scale of the transfer activity needed? The current first team squad, including Lambert’s returning loanees is: 36!! 5 are out of contract this month, and a further 15 in a year’s time. That’s a lot of selling to do before we start shopping. We probably need to sell 3 for every one bought, and could afford to let 20 of that squad go to start adding some quality.
    Fortunately I think Sherwood has the get up and go, and hopefully the contacts to make it happen.
    One thing for sure, it won’t be a quiet summer – perfect for the rumour mills and speculation to keep the forums going.

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 3:14 pm .

Spot on RW

Andrew May 31, 2015 at 3:27 pm .

I really don’t get people claiming it papers over the cracks if we won. NO ONE thinks we’re that good, no one, not a single fan thinks we’re all that, hell even Sherwood said the game yesterday didn’t prove anything, because he already knew the severity of the team being poor. All yesterday would’ve actually done is give Villa something to be happy about for once, about it, not papering over the cracks, Sherwood didn’t have to learn anything from yesterday because he’s seen how bad a lot of the players like Hutton, N’Zogbia and such are.

Bill Pearson May 31, 2015 at 4:18 pm .

Andrew, your correct in stating that fact, my moan is the massive hype in yesterdays game, I even made a prediction 3-2 Villa to win, but I knew that was unlikely but wanted it with all my heart. I’m now wanting that team to get sold its been shear hell to all the fans for many a year, Its time to let Sherwood do what ever it takes to move Villa forwards, yesterday was a disaster waiting to happen, we could see the writing on the wall , 6-1, 5, 3, 4, its time to let Sherwood do what ever he can. Get that lion back.

langfordvilla May 31, 2015 at 5:02 pm .

BP….really felt for you yesterday mate. You and the Villa fans deserve so much better. The fans were incredible again yesterday….the players were a disgrace!

Hitchens 60 May 31, 2015 at 5:39 pm .

Spot on Langford. Losing is bad enough but the manner of losing was disgraceful. Felt for Bill and all the other fans who paid good money yesterday – like many (I suspect) – hoped for the best but feared the worst. All the bad habits back yesterday – just how many times did we lose the ball in the middle third of Arsenal’s half and how many times did Delph run into a cul de sac? No midfielders were making penetrating runs. We looked tired and lacking in any sort of fight.

On team selection I had no problem with Richardson coming in and he did a decent job – but Mutton over Bacuna No No and why Gabby didn’t start rather than NZog is baffling. I know Gabby isn’t everyone’s favourite but he often plays well against Arse and at least he put some real energy into the team when he came on.

Looking forward to seeing what TS does with the squad over the summer.

langfordvilla May 31, 2015 at 6:58 pm .

H60….its worrying already for next season mate. We have to replace so many players, but who’s going to fund a complete overall…not randy IMO! It worries me that we have gone a full circle and will end up on the ‘young, hungry and cheap’ trail again….I can see already that it cant work! How are we going to purchase the minimum of 4 quality players that we desperately need?

Hitchens 60 May 31, 2015 at 9:20 pm .

Very good points Langford – reality is only time will tell. For me the burning question about TS – is he another Kevin Keegan or England’s answer to the Chosen One?

I think we will see a couple of quality players came in but also TS will try and bring through some of our academy which many on here have been advocating. Would like to see Gary Gardiner get an opportunity.

Unlike some I would like Vlaar to stay. Accept he is injury prone but we do need some experience in the defence. Also would like to see Cleverley sign for us.

Really interesting comment by TS about finding a system that suits players who have not figured recently – does that mean Gil and Sinclair? I think we may move away from a diamond formation next season. Could see some exciting wing play with Grealish playing a more central role – maybe in the hole? Or am I just being daft!

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 9:59 pm .

Agree with everything u said but lost credibility saying vlaar and cleverly should stay complete dross both of them

Hitchens 60 June 1, 2015 at 7:46 am .

OohAh – all about opinions mate – just disagree with one paragraph; my views on Vlaar and Cleverley don’t discredit the rest of my post. If we can bring in an experienced CH fair enough but we need someone in there and I would take Vlaar over Senderos

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 1, 2015 at 9:11 am .

I would take vlaar over sendross too but that’s not saying much. Both injury prone donkeys with a mistake in them every game. Il be gutted if we keep vlaar tbh can’t stand the bloke.

Hitchens 60 June 1, 2015 at 10:08 am .

Fair enough – let’s see what the summer brings

Bill Pearson May 31, 2015 at 5:41 pm .

Thanks Langford, me and my lad are pissed off over that game, to crown it all had Twats standing up in front of me and I lost my rag with them, I wouldn’t spend good money on that Wembley again, then Langford had a pub just outside that said as I went to entre Arsenal only, did I stand for that? No after telling them I’d do something about it they let me in, the look I got from them inside said it all, did I care ? did I fuck. shook some hands and drank on.

GIDDYVILLAN May 31, 2015 at 5:54 pm .

Fairplay MATE FUCK EM.

Hitchens 60 May 31, 2015 at 9:12 pm .

Good for you Bill; don’t stand for all that London cr*p.

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 9:38 pm .

When we beat Man city last season everyone had a fest and said we’d turn a corner etc. It would be exactly the same if we had won yesterday. More people would have bought season tickets and Lerner would of had another free ride next season

Andrew May 31, 2015 at 10:06 pm .

No one had a fest though. Yes beating City was great and that provided hope for Villa fans, but no one thought we’d turn a corner. That’s another made up idea in your head that Villa fans are that stupid to think Villa are great after 1 win.

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 10:23 pm .

Under Lamberk we always pulled of a shock result or two. Then posters would start saying he’s not that bad after all when we knew he was. Trust me Andrew Sherwood is not the answer and the fa cup final was an embarrassment. Even reading put up a better show than our shower of shit

Andrew May 31, 2015 at 11:01 pm .

I’ve yet to see a reason Sherwood can’t be the answer. He’s never had a transfer window, a summer to train the players the way he wants too, twice now he’s come in and done incredibly well with players he doesn’t even want. I’ll give him an entire season before changing my mind on if he’s good enough or not.

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 1, 2015 at 12:00 am .

Again u said the same about Lamberk

Andrew June 1, 2015 at 1:45 am .

I did, I said I never wanted him, but gave him a chance after the first season. He sucked ass and fans turned. Same will happen to Sherwood if he does the same. But again, I never wanted Lambert, Sherwood wasn’t my first choice either but I prefer him now than Lambert back when McLeish left.

Davo May 31, 2015 at 4:53 pm .

Oohah, how do you know that Lerner didn’t take advice from someone else regarding MON?
    Did your not enjoy the years with MON? Surely you must of smiled, jumped with joy once in those three years!

Who would you have pick as manager instead of Tim?

pat57 May 31, 2015 at 5:03 pm .

Well Ancelotti’s out of a job 🙂

Only joking. I think Tim could be the perfect fit and we have to give him a chance.

We should make Oohaah take a no moaning pledge until the second half of the season at least. After all even on the ratio of points won since Tim’s arrived we’d have been middle of the table. I’d accept that next year while rebuilding takes place.

Davo May 31, 2015 at 5:20 pm .

Pat don’t! Oohah wouldn’t want Real Madrids ex manager…. That could possiblely mean we are heading in the right direction and slowly becoming successful again!

Altho he would probably moan about not being able to get a ticket…

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 9:55 pm .

So joking apart why not get someone like ancelloti and let him groom Sherwood. Sherwoid can’t cut it. I actually like the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and cares. But simply hasn’t a clue

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 31, 2015 at 9:52 pm .

I enjoyed it in the first season with mon but as time went on we bottled it for 4th bottled fa cup semi and bottled league cup I realised what an overrated one dimensional manager we had. Biggest spending manager in our history by a planet and he played boring football at home, could never win a game in March and could only finish 6th pathetic