Liverpool – Villa; Revenge time?

When was the last time we had a Saturday 3pm kickoff?
I don’t remember, but it seems like it’s been ages and it’s nice to have one today. There’s just something that seems right about it and late Sunday night kickoffs just don’t do it, do they?

I haven’t heard much about Liverpool lately, so I had to look at the league table to see where they actually stand. Imagine my surprise then, to find that they’re only five points above us, having played one game more.
That sort of puts things in perspective really, because even though I think we’ve been playing poorly for months and results have definitely been poor, what does that say about the rest of the clubs in the Premier league?
Not a lot, it would seem and I still struggle to see that we’re ninth in the table.

So, where I was fearing a major backlash after us thrashing Liverpool at home, now I’m not so worried.
It would seem the Reds are not the same team they were, yet they’re in the middle of a European tie against Real, so they’re not doing too badly.
They have a lot of players out, in Jordan Henderson, Joel Matip, Joe Gomez, Virgil van Dijk and Divock Origi.
That’s some list and it partly explains why they’ve not been as strong lately.

There’s nothing wrong with Liverpool’s attack though and they definitely have players who can hurt us.
Hopefully, our defence can stand firm and keep them out, but I suspect we might concede a couple today.
On the plus side, their defence is vulnerable and we have the capability of hurting them too.

The big news for us is of course Jack Grealish being out again and not looking like he’s likely to be back until May at the earliest.
It’s ok though, because Smith said it’s not a long term injury(!).
I seriously wonder if there had been copious amounts of alcohol involved before he came out with that statement.
If what will turn out to be three months isn’t a long term injury, I’d hate to see one that is.
Still, it’s just another example of the BS he has been speaking for months now, I suppose, so I’ll just leave it there.

I think a lot depends on how Smith sets the team up today and indeed, who he plays.
We all know it’ll be pretty much the same personnel as always, but he does have choices in how he plays them.
Our best bet is to actually go at Liverpool and put their defence under pressure from the off.
This would involve McGinn getting further forward.
If that doesn’t work, there’s always the option of putting Davis on. Not to score goals, but to bully the defence and create space for Watkins.

I see goals in this game and hopefully we’ll see a more lively performance from the lads, which will hopefully lead to us getting some too.

I’m going for 3-2.
I’d like to think we can actually edge this one, but I don’t quite have that confidence, so I think it’s going to go against us.
I actually think the performance is probably more important than the result today. We wouldn’t normally expect to get much from this game, after all.
What we don’t want is an abject poor performance and a heavy defeat.
But then, I don’t think we’re going to get one.

Up the Villa!

Page 9 of 13 1 7 8 9 10 11 13
    Bill Pearson.. April 21, 2021 at 9:20 pm .

Davis on ..

Bill Pearson.. April 21, 2021 at 9:43 pm .

Barkley on Nakamba off, first ball from Barkley and it given away to them .Brilliant.

Bill Pearson.. April 21, 2021 at 9:44 pm .

By the way Cash red Card ,

Adam April 21, 2021 at 9:58 pm .

So stupid by cash! just when we were starting to have more possession.

Bill Pearson.. April 22, 2021 at 7:50 am .

Ramsey was identified as not tracking back to help in defence, that game was like a practicing Man City training program, city didn’t have to move just pass the ball with one touch. At one stage 278 touches to Villa 78 .when will our coaching understand the only way to stop that is FOOTBALL. thats a game where you take on a player and draw them away from standing in a drawing board positions. its why Grealish shines at his game. Again Smith doesn’t know the game well enough for him to go farther. He needs to wake up and quickly.

Adam April 22, 2021 at 10:28 am .

Our team lack any confidence on the ball. You see when City were pressing us high up we panic and all we do is pass back, sideways then back to the keeper to hoof it out of play or straight back to City. You cant win football matches playing like that. It was so easy for them. The only player (that we currently use) who has any confidence in holding the ball and looking to play football as you say Bill is Grealish. None of that 11 are anywhere near his level and sadly why I think he will be gone sooner rather than later. I just wish we would try and play with some confidence and pass through teams by moving around the pitch making 2 v 1 scenarios but we just seem lazy to move and lazy to track back for 90% of matches. Smith should be showing the lads the replay of that match and teaching them to move like City.

Adam April 21, 2021 at 10:04 pm .

And we really need to learn how to pass and MOVE!! The gulf in class between us and City is massive don’t know how we can ever close the gap

Badger123 April 21, 2021 at 10:24 pm .

I only remembered about the game an hour before the kickoff.
    I think I watched about 10 minutes of it.

I’m sorry, this football just bores me shitless.
    I think we had one chance, from what I saw,

It might be somewhat effective, but my god, it’s boring.
    And what’s the point being careful when you lose anyway?

I should have known what we were going to get when Smith talked about “restricting them” in the presser.

And he played Ramsay again, then took him off at HT, because he was inneffective. I wonder when he will learn?

I’m actually close to calling for Smith out myself, tbh, the football is that bad.

The footy is as bad as when Bruce was here. And what bugs me is there’s absolutely no need for it now we’re safe.

No wonder I’m close to spewing it.
    What are you supposed to write about, when it’s just crap, week in, week out?

Holte April 21, 2021 at 10:34 pm .

Absolute rubbish. Citeh pissed all over us and in the end couldn’t be bothered to get a 3rd goal because they knew 2 was enough.
    I really want Smith to succeed but something seriously wrong is going on in training if that’s the best they can muster. Shakespeare seemed like a good appointment early days but I have to question what he is bringing right now.
    The players look like they are a yard off the pace whoever they are up against. We weren’t even getting close to their shadows. I really think Albion will stuff us on Sunday. I feel sorry for Watkins because in a better team he would flourish.
    I really don’t know what to expect next season but it looks like this season we are finished and I’m quite certain we won’t get to 50 points. Thank goodness we had a great start because currently we are bottom 3 in terms of our quality.
    When I analyse how many of our players are good enough to play in the Citeh team the answer is none of them. Not even Grealish because Foden is better and took Cash to school tonight.
    Our owners will stick with Smith because overall he has improved our league position every season. My concern is that we are going backwards at the moment and this started when Grealish was playing. Whether the summer break can see a clear out of the garbage / expired contracts, such as Barkley, Traore, El Ghazi, Taylor, Elmo, Heaton and possibly a few more. These need to be replaced with international quality players and I don’t mean San Marino standard.
    I have my reservations that we will be ‘super’ anytime soon and our owners will have to dig deep and possibly look at bringing in a top quality manager / coach if Deano doesn’t turn things around.

Hitchens60 April 22, 2021 at 7:00 am .

Holte – I’m also worried about next season.

Since the turn of the year we’ve been playing relegation standard football and, as you say, where is the quality (bar one or two players) in this side? And if Ramsey is the pick of our much vaunted, new look talent then heaven help us.

It’s a truism that form at the end of a season translates into form at the beginning of the next!

Like Badger, I’ve lost the enthusiasm for the game and last night I just didn’t bother to watch – I found more entertaining ways of wasting my time!

Bill Pearson.. April 22, 2021 at 3:07 pm .

Hitch, please tell what it was I’m curious? 😂😂

Hitchens60 April 22, 2021 at 4:57 pm .

Ah Bill, you know what curiosity did ….. 🙂

Not what you might think 🙂 Watched the Repair Shop – which is an excellent programme – and read a very good book. I enjoyed both immensely and didn’t miss the football at all.

I don’t think it’s just Villa playing badly, it’s just football has become sterile due to the lack of fans, No passion, no excitement and poor commentary.

Bill Pearson.. April 22, 2021 at 6:20 pm .

Disappointed, i got excited then, repair shop I also watch, I know how you feel and I’m the same, im ploughing my time into alottment at least I’m getting satisfaction.

Hitchens60 April 22, 2021 at 8:53 pm .

Bill, I’ve just given up the allotment as have moved house and now live too far away from it. Have a whole new garden to design and build here which will include a vegetable garden.

Bill Pearson. April 22, 2021 at 7:50 pm .
      Badger123 April 22, 2021 at 9:46 pm .

I’m not seeing anything apart from some welcome page Bill.
      What’s it say?

Oh as for Smith saying Citeh’s red card wasn’t a red, I’ve given up on anything he says now.
      When he opens his mouth, he just comes across as a total idiot to me 🙂