Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. Adam
    Adam November 30, 2015 at 12:40 pm .

Traore should be starting! He is clearly ability wise head and shoulders above anything we have and maybe the reason he looks a bit selfish when he comes on is because he gets 15-20 mins max and were normally losing and he is desperate to impress. Let him start and maybe we will see more give and go, tracking back etc. The lad needs game time and as much as possible!

1. Bum Bum
      Bum Bum November 30, 2015 at 1:02 pm .

But if he refuses to act as part of the team, then he’s a luxury we can’t afford can we? He’s no Ronaldo. I wonder if that’s why Barca shipped him out?

1. Hitchens 60
        Hitchens 60 November 30, 2015 at 1:08 pm .

Good point Bum Bum. Sell him to the Villa for three years with a buy back clause. If we sort him out Barca win, we lose; if we don’t Barca win, we lose! Now where have I heard that before? 🙂

1. Hitchens 60
      Hitchens 60 November 30, 2015 at 4:32 pm .

Thanks Badger – most of the time I just don’t know what to believe in the press!

2. Bum Bum
      Bum Bum November 30, 2015 at 5:15 pm .

I was looking for the headline that read “Barca pissing themselves at off loading off player simply because they once played for us”…

2. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN November 30, 2015 at 3:15 pm .

Hmmmm interesting they obviously don’t rate the kid & snapped our hands off for the money.so we’ve invested in a dud or certainly someone way off the mark??? We’ve only seen him in glimpses but I suppose the bigger picture is on the training pitch & behind the door friendlies.I’m lost now how to judge his abilities this kind of throws a spanner in the works no one seems impressed with him.

1. Andrew
      Andrew November 30, 2015 at 9:17 pm .

Barcelona, the current best side in the world. We’re not going to get anyone they wanna keep. Traore’s ridiculously talented but his attitude towards hard work, tracking back and not being a show off is going to kill him off. Of course if they rated him we’d have no chance, we’re not even close to their level. No one in the Prem is.

3. Lionheart
    Lionheart November 30, 2015 at 3:22 pm .

We brought him from Barcelona not Stoke lol..

Plenty of players wouldn’t make it there who would do incredibly well at Villa..

Look at Sanchez.. bombed out by Barca and in the Prem he is one of the top five players..

4. originallondonlion
    originallondonlion November 30, 2015 at 5:14 pm .

I had resigned myself to relegation after Saturday but your ITK comment that a new goalkeeper is not on the January cards just clinches it. I said last year that Guzan would take us to the Championship, so I am not going to change my mind now.

Hutton’s OG is an example of what a duff goalie does to a defence. All our defenders are terrified of putting a back-pass to Guzan’s right foot so Hutton toe pokes the ball to his left, a more difficult angle than to Guzan’s right which is nearer straight. Guzan is leaning to his right, since if Hutton does not make the tackle that is where the attacker will be, and cannot adjust.

Having said that, back four are awful, playing for an offside which you have not got for goal 1 and an all round shambles for goal 3.

Lerner Fox and Reilly really shot the messenger when firing Sherwood. The message remains. “The Frenchies are not fit enough” (Sherwood) see above from Garde.”I need players of proven EPL quality” (Sherwood) yet much of the dross from last season who proved conclusively they were not EPL quality are still proving it. Richards, Sinclair and Gestede were gambles that other managers did not think were EPL quality who haven’t contradicted that fact. Grealish and Clark, two home grown youngsters invited to make the great leap forward – have blown it – and now have question marks against their careers in the top flight.

1. Hitchens 60
      Hitchens 60 November 30, 2015 at 8:13 pm .

As always OLL, a thoughtful piece although I wasn’t sure if you were defending Sherwood or criticising the owner / directors whereas I think both (all) are worthy of criticism.

Sherwood’s view of proven EPL players (including Adebayor, Townsend and Lescott who he finally bought – but apparently didn’t rate Austin) was hardly likely to be an improvement on the squad we have and I distinctly remember Sherwood saying the French League was the closest to the Prem in terms of speed and style of play. Sherwood’s subsequent bleating doesn’t sit too comfortably with me given that
      1. if he really didn’t have a say in the signings we made he should have resigned earlier before we were in complete disarray and
      2. If the French players were not fit enough it was his job to get them fit quickly

Reality was (is) that Sherwood was not of proven PL quality. It remains to be seen whether Garde is.

5. Andrew
    Andrew November 30, 2015 at 9:20 pm .

Kozak scored for the U-21’s, while I know a lot of fans think he’s shit, I do think him coming off the bench for Ayew would work well. He has the predatory instincts, his movement off the ball is class and with Veretout providing set piece work, I don’t see why he couldn’t get a few goals till January at least. I do have a feeling Garde’s not willing to test too many players out now though, maybe other than in defense because the senior fullbacks are just awful. Wonder if we’ll see Bacuna back at RB and Kinsella coming in eventually.

It’s not all that surprising the players weren’t fully fit under Sherwood though. You could see them dying after 60 minutes, some like Richardson not even making it that long. Gotta wonder what manager’s do in training because Sherwood said the exact same thing when he came in that the players weren’t match fit under Lambert.

6. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson November 30, 2015 at 9:47 pm .

Saying that just take a look at Hutton looking at the player going on goal , he just had no effort in him to tackle as if shattered, as for Richardson a usless defender as a footballer full stop. Cuzan cannot position himself in reaching for shots across goal. Yes your right our defenders are rubbish and will never go any further than Aston Villa as players,

1. andrew
      andrew November 30, 2015 at 11:00 pm .

clark sanchez hutton and richardson shouldnt be playing. for some time our club has adopted a backwards way of football – hoof the ball anywhere under no pressure but try to play our way out when there is pressure.
      yes gabby has his faults but time after time when a simple ball puts him through a daft ball to the corner flag or no attempt to play forward keeps happening.
      grealish goes for a lads night out and in my opinion is the scapegoat.
      so as i say will garde do the same to those who are at fault on the field

1. Andrew
        Andrew November 30, 2015 at 11:21 pm .

Clark’s currently our best CB or at least no worse than the others and Sanchez is our best midfielder, how the hell can you say they shouldn’t be starting? Ridiculous. Sanchez doesn’t hoof the ball, he often looks for a runner when on the ball. The other two obviously shouldn’t be playing.

1. andrew
          andrew November 30, 2015 at 11:40 pm .

sanchez has poor ball control and gives the ball away more times than ive had hot dinners.
          and as for clark he has a costly mistake in him every game. so what villa are you watching

1. Andrew
            Andrew December 1, 2015 at 1:07 am .

He doesn’t give the ball away though, a game a season ago and you’re still on that… Move on mate, actually watch him play.

Clark doesn’t make a mistake a game though, yes he’ll make a mistake but not half as many times as you’re claiming.

2. bencey83
          bencey83 December 1, 2015 at 11:12 pm .

Are you for real?! Clark our best centre half?! Richards, Senderos and Okore are in a different league to him! Even Baker is better! Clark is a ball-watcher who is constantly sucked out of position, leaving the others in the back four wondering what the hell is going on! Richards picks up most of the pieces, just as Vlaar used to do – and gets a lot of stick as a result. Watch the goals back from the last few games and see how many Clarke was responsible for by simply not marking his man, not challenging in the air, getting the wrong side of his man, or being totally out of position. I personally think he is the worst defender I’ve ever seen in a Villa shirt – and there’s been a few strong contenders for that title!!! I’m sure he’s a nice guy and all and, yes, he’s homegrown, but he’s just not up to this level of football, sorry.

And if we don’t buy a new goalkeeper, we might as well start preparing for the Championship now! Again, worst goalkeeper I can remember in a Villa shirt. Can’t think of many worse I have seen in the Premier League. Again, I’m sure he’s a top lad and a genuinely nice guy, but he fills me with dread between the sticks!

7. originallondonlion
    originallondonlion November 30, 2015 at 11:16 pm .

I would like to see Kozak as a surprise sprung on opponents, as a paiiring with Ayew to start the game.

I think the whole crew at BMH down to and including Gordon Cowans needs scrapping.

Our players have not been as fit as the average side in the EPL, that is the first fault, I absolve Richardson because he is no longer capable of 90 mins and gives his best for as long as he can. But who the hell is training the rest?

Second fault is the lack of any training ground practice moves that is obviously carried through to success. Maybe last week and with the news above that Veretout is to take all dead-ball kicks we will see the first sign of that changing. I hope he has a talent for it, because Veretout does not impress me with a live ball.

Third fault is lack of players breaking through from the reserves with the right attitude. Where they do seem to have spark they have been loaned out – and a player who behaves like a tosser, Grealish gets picked again and does not get slapped down pronto. I just imagine what SAF would have said to Grealish after reading the first party-boy story. More blow-torch than hair-drier.

1. andrew
      andrew November 30, 2015 at 11:59 pm .

agree with most of your views.
      but i would like to add that for what i see each week is a team of individuals who dont apply basic rules to football.
      such as playing out from the back when under pressure. and when we do have time and space its either an awful attempt of a pass or kick it into touch. and for some reason there is no complaints from players manager or coaches.
      my one difference is grealish. yes he needs a word but if he is to be dropped then so does most of the team because at the moment the on field mistakes are costing us.

8. andrew
    andrew December 1, 2015 at 1:48 am .

are some of the villa coaches posing as fans on here.
    to say clark and sanchez are our best players has me in stitches.
    not only that but when fans start moaning at other fans for booing during the game and when i hear if we win 4 out of the next 6 we might be ok but knowing weve won 1 out of 14 keeps me reminded how deluded some people get.
    as much as i want us to win games and back the team but reality does kick in and if we play shit then fans who pay hard earned cash will boo

1. Badger123
      Badger123 December 1, 2015 at 3:46 am .

andrew (the recent one), you have mail on the addy you used to sign up on.

Fwiw, I think Sanchez is the only mid we’ve got that can make a tackle on a regular basis and he does look for a decent out ball.
      But yes, he does give it away a lot too.

1. Bum Bum
        Bum Bum December 1, 2015 at 7:22 am .

U on the night shift Badger? Or is our plight keeping you awake?

1. Badger123
          Badger123 December 1, 2015 at 7:44 am .

Working daft hours mate, which keep changing.
          The joys of being a subby.
          Currently 4pm- 2 am and I’m knackered.

9. Benno
    Benno December 1, 2015 at 7:00 am .

Sanchez is the right type of player for protecting the back 4, but he is so inconsistent. When on his game he is great, but often he is well off, losing the ball in very dangerous areas. I would still put him in the team above Westwood as he can actually win the ball.

Ive been a disappointed with Veretout and Gana (although Gana started brightly), but if you look at what happened at Newcastle when they brought in a whole team from Ligue 1, we should have maybe seen this coming. But our midfield trio cost us around 20m and we were outplayed by Watford’s bargain basement midfield on Saturday.

As for Traore, given that we still needed a RB, a quality centre back and a keeper, I’m not sure whose bright idea it was to risk 7m on him. Potential in abundance, but not ready for the Premier League yet.

1. Bum Bum
      Bum Bum December 1, 2015 at 7:19 am .

Benno, I posted this a couple of days ago: Watford bought in 15 new players over the summer. Why can they gel so quickly when us and the likes of Newcastle can’t? The whole thing stinks of mis-management again to me. It’s the psyche of the club that is killing us. When an owner wants to get shot of his ‘investment’ that has become a white elephant, then for the players and staff, the club becomes little more than a well paid day job. Attitude and positivity can’t be bought or learned it seems. That’s the root of it all to me. Looks again at Watford. Palace. Stoke. Leicester. Even West Brom.

Until we get an owner that gives a fuck, forget it. Because none of the players will. Lerner is a loser and always has been with his sporting connections. And it’s rubbing off on the club. He’s a Jonah. (Allegedly)…

1. GIDDYVILLAN
        GIDDYVILLAN December 1, 2015 at 9:03 am .

Agreed steer well clear of the sporting industry FIFA should wack a lifetime restraining order on the bastard.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
        OohAhPaulMcGrath December 1, 2015 at 8:35 pm .

It’s because we are poorly run from top to bottom

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 1, 2015 at 8:35 pm .

He lost ball a few times v Watford putting defence under pressure and was part responsible for their first goal