Hull 1 -3 Villa; Bruce needs to step it up

Let me say straight off, I’ve never seen first games as really meaning much.
They’re sort of in-between, as not really a friendly, but not really a proper game, where you can judge much at all.
You only have to look at some of the opening day results to see that.

But if I’m going to judge, I have to say that I thought Hull were awful and we weren’t much better.

Was I alone in thinking Jack was playing generally way to deep, to keep him out of any real trouble? Maybe.

I thought Steer had a pretty good game and I wouldn’t blame him for their goal. He did all you could ask in getting the ball away, only for our defenders to be half asleep.

But the MOTM for me was easily Hutton.
He’s the only one that I saw actually drive at the opposition and when you consider that’s not really his job, you have to wonder what’s going on?
Isn’t that exactly what Hourihane was bought to do?
Don’t get me wrong, he does get up there occasionally, but it’s nowhere near often enough.
And although I keep hearing he does the dirty work, I don’t see he does that enough either.
He’s far too anonymous for my liking, as much as the stats might say otherwise. Ok, he got a decent return, last season, but how good could that be if he was given his head?

Elmo produced the goods, but I wasn’t impressed overall.

Kodjia was greedy, yet again, but I’ve previously said I can live with that. But he looks out of sorts.
I seriously suspect he’s just not up to speed and it’ll come back.

And those players apart, I’m struggling to see anyone else as being anything more than total average.

Taylor? Oh dear.

Interestingly, Bruce is just saying that things are going to change, in that we need to go with a younger side.
Which is just as well, because I don’t see the new owners living with Bruce for long if things don’t change.

Hull, as poor as they were, made a couple of driving runs, straight down the middle, that had me thinking “why don’t we do that?”

And there lies Bruce’s problem for me.
His midfields are far too much designed to be an extension of the defence and they offer nothing in the middle.

Yes, Bruce brought on a couple of kids, but they need to be thrown in quicker, as much as I’m cautious.
It’s just that I see the current midfield going nowhere fast, especially against better sides.

Ok, we got three goals today, which is great.

But I just see us as frankly average and Bruce’s defensive attitude will not win him any favours from the owners.
Unless we’re top two, come October, Bruce will be gone.
It’s as simple as that for me.

As much as I think he’s been our best bet in giving us stability during some torrid times.

Page 8 of 9 1 6 7 8 9
  1. Hitchens 60 August 9, 2018 at 6:22 pm .

Spent all day watching the rain fall at Lords and am pi**ed as a newt BUT over the moon Grealish still with us; angry at Fulham – ba***ds but believe we have done well in the window and will add a couple of good loans before end of month.

At last we have owners with the wealth, muscle and business acumen to lead us back to the top of the Prem.

Have faith, the future is bright, the future is claret and blue. UTV

2. Sidforever August 9, 2018 at 6:45 pm .

Hitch
    Thank you for the proof reading. You are right. I have full faith in Jack To deliver this season.

I was just reading about Spurs being first club never to buy in a summer transfer window.

Is it possible Spurs did not have significant funds for new players. Has the cost of their new stadium limited their financial clout in the short term?

1. Hitchens60 August 9, 2018 at 7:57 pm .

No probs Sid,

That’s a good question (re Spuds) but I wonder whether it’s more to do with Levy being an ‘Ellis clone’ albeit with more clout?

1. Originallondonlion August 10, 2018 at 5:49 pm .

Levy an Ellis clone? No way. I’ve seen Deadly smile when we win.

3. nath August 9, 2018 at 7:41 pm .

jack is still here lol well wonders never cease, if a top clubs had come in for him it would have been curtains, lucky for us it was spuds wannabe big club phew. hope jack can forgive us for not wanting to part. if he can rediscover last season for this one. we and more importantly he will be in the premiership at a real big club . much bigger than arsenal neighbours

looking at the summer window overall, we have ended up doing great. we snapped up a real jewel in mcginn. hearing hib fans talk about him and his old managers. clearly he will have no problems coping with the championship. also he is carbon copy of grealish, so double trouble if bruce can incorporate them both into the team.

only disappointed was that left back who looked also decent buy, albeit for 6 mill. talk of Tuanzebe starting left back, i would rather he started central then the defence has speed and can condense the play better.looking at the team this and last year i think the potential is better in this, if grealish can hit last years heights.

no striker thou. big questions over kodjia. hogan is injured davis injured, rhm looked better than kodjia when introduced, but he has massive question marks about his injuries jinx.

i will stick to us going up prediction and i reckon as champs, even with no new striker or left back

4. Hitchens60 August 9, 2018 at 8:02 pm .

I still think we need to ‘attack’ the loan market as we need to :-

Unload Tshbola and McCormack – Richard is the ultimate and stupidly expensive sick note! so going nowhere – sadly
    Find a new LB and reinforce our attacking options – it would be brilliant if we coukd bring in Abrahams and Snodgrass but nonetheless we need additional fire power up front.

1. nath August 9, 2018 at 8:10 pm .

no sure snodgrass is needed, he is good but he is one dimensional. he wants to cut in all the time, no pace to beat his man. just my opinions. but i agree with need a striker and left back taylor is a massive bright attack this side beacon. while kodjia i doubt will ever regain his confidence to trust his body again. all the friendlies he was dumped to floor and took a age to get up. same against hull he isn’t fully fit or he doesn’t want to injury himself again and therefor wont ever be the same player. also is massively greedy twat who never notices anybody but where the goals are. no matter how many players are between him and the goals he will try to dribble his way through them

2. Bum Bum August 10, 2018 at 3:13 pm .

Richards is a disgrace to the game and his once highly rated reputation. Remember Hanson predicting a future England Captain? No idea why his career has turned into absolute diarrhoea, but he has to take responsibility for a large part of this. He will only ever be remembered as a money grabbing failure. From an Aston Villa perspective, please Micah, just F*** O**, and stop bleeding us dry. You’re as bad as Gabby.
      A final though, are both of these leeches Union members??? Surely it’s the only explanation.

1. Hitchens60 August 10, 2018 at 3:59 pm .

No one wants him and he knows his career is over so just sits there taking the money – who the hell gave him a five year contract ‘cos they should be sued for gross negligence. He’s supposed to have ongoing knee problems so we should declare him unfit to play, terminate his contract forthwith and get the insurance company to pay him compo.

Worst sick note ever!

5. Holte66 August 9, 2018 at 8:18 pm .

I’m very happy with the transfer window. Can’t knock Bryan for joining Fulham and premier league because he had no allegiance to us. Still maybe a chance to reinforce with the loan system. Still think we could do with a CB because Tuanzebe is untried although Jedinak can play there. A LB would be good although Hutton is okay there. A striker as well if someone with quality like Abraham comes in. And most important JG stays which is vital to our promotion hopes. So another up yours to Tim Sherwood who was promoting a last minute transfer to Spurs. And good luck to Agent Gardner on his mission to Small Heath.

1. nath August 9, 2018 at 8:25 pm .

Tuanzebe will be good enough at centre back i would say 100% than suliman i would bet my car and house on it. but he isn’t a full back or wing back thou he can play them he is a cb by trait thats his role. we complain because we defended our box last year, if he plays cb we can push the fook up and if a fulham type team, tried to get in behind we have the pace to recover the situation. the guy is fast and strong and i doubt their are many who will beat him for pace.

6. nath August 9, 2018 at 8:51 pm .

lets get to work lmao
    really no need to say anything, fans will overlook whats happened as long as he performs.

looking at the squad now and what i thought it would be before new owners bailed us out. we have no excuses this season. we should really be up their at the top end, i think its stronger team so top two nothing less will do.

no need for talk. lets do the talking on the field for once.

7. marvin August 9, 2018 at 11:16 pm .

Thrilled that the club was actually able to not only keep players (all star players) but actual do business in the transfer market… although I can’t help but think in a months time we will possibly see Hutton at LB, McGinn in CM, and Snodgrass on the right… a Scottish form of Connect 4. Majestic it could be.

8. Pat 57 August 9, 2018 at 11:31 pm .

Don’t forget that our transfer business might not be finished as we could still get some players in as loans. Tammy Abraham would do for me.

However, even if we don’t, I still think we’ve got enough to do it this season.

9. nath August 10, 2018 at 6:28 am .

even if you don’t like bruce or don’t think hes the man. get behind the club because bruce has no backers inside the club like last season. he too will be on trial. he messes up he will go. stay positive new owners want premiership today, this meets our desire we also want premiership. this squad is good enough to win that .its all down to manager now no pressure

10. Pat 57 August 10, 2018 at 2:23 pm .

When Jack was out at the beginning of the season it was all too clear that the major failing of the team was its inability to create anything in mid-field. We got better when Jack returned but we were putting all our creative eggs in one basket.

With the arrival of McGinn we should now have two players who can make things happen in mid-field. I’m really hoping that they can gel as a partnership and, if they do, I think you’ll see some of our attacking players improve as well as the quality of the balls they’ll be receiving will be better too.

While we still have some deficiencies in other areas I honestly think that it will be Jack and McGinn in mid-field who will ultimately be responsible for getting us promoted.

UTV