Grealish has to stay and too many owners spoil the broth?

Of course there’s been much debate about if we should sell Jack Grealish or not.

I’m going to stick with my stance that we definitely shouldn’t.

Look, I know we need the money and indeed, he might bring in £30 million or so.
But to be honest, if I put my neutral hat on, I’m not really convinced he’s worth it and I can see where neutrals are coming from.
Jack had a decent semi against Liverpool and then faded back into the background as a useless, lazy so and so, just the same as I’d criticised him for previously.

But it seems that kidney injury really opened his eyes and he stepped it up another couple of gears, in bulking up and working massively hard in the gym.
He’s apparently much nearer the figures Bruce wanted to see, although there’s still room for improvement.
So much so, that he’s now a much more complete player, although he still has a lot to learn.

Remember, he’s still only 22 and there’s plenty of time for him to learn the art of becoming the “playmaker”.
Which I believe he should do at the Villa.

Yes, ok, Delli Ali is crap for England.
But he’s actually quite good for Spurs.
Will Jack be able to jump in and replace him?
I’m not so sure, even if Poch encourages kids.

So will Jack actually get much playing time at Spurs?
Again, I’m not convinced.

Much better for him to stay with us, where Bruce will base the team around him.
He will play every game, as long as he’s fit (as much as Bruce supposedly doesn’t trust young players) and will learn in a tougher league than the Prem.

Hence next year is the year we should look to sell.
If we haven’t been promoted.

All that said, the over-riding biggest reason we shouldn’t sell, is because of the signal it sends to the fans.
We sell Jack Grealish, we’ve lost all ambition.
We keep him and show that the Prem clubs that we are not going to bend us over and we retain some optimism.

It’s as simple as that.

And in the meantime, I saw a report this morning saying Jack’s going nowhere.
Followed about half an hour later, by a report that said that he actually wants to leave.

You have to laugh.

The next point is that Sawaris is Executive chairman, while Edens and Xia are co-chairmen.
That’s an interesting one, as although Sawiris and Edens have put the same money in, it would seem Sawaris is the one willing to spend.

So where does it leave Xia?
I’d suggest it’s an honourable climb-down.
The media says he will be bought out gradually and that does make sense.

I don’t see any conflict here.

Xia has gambled big time and lost.
And now, he’s easing his way out as slow as he can.

Thanks for supporting us while you were here Tony.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Pat 57 July 23, 2018 at 11:06 pm .

Daily Star confirming Henry as new Villa manager –

I love Henry but I fear this might be De Matteo all over again. Fingers crossed.

Holte66 July 23, 2018 at 11:22 pm .

I hope this is just speculation. Media often put 2 + 2 to get 5. If it turns out to be true then it would divide fans in terms of who will be our best option for next season. I agree with Pat 57 and it would be history repeating itself. He was a great player but I found him quite dull as a sky pundit. Better to get Terry in instead.

steve July 23, 2018 at 11:24 pm .

at least Henry knows how to go forward and Bould was at the heart of one of the best ever defences.

badger123 July 23, 2018 at 11:36 pm .

Ah shit, I possibly should have mentioned the Henri links, but I just don’t see it happening.

If it happens, we’re knackered in the short and lomg term.

It’s just another short term disaster waiting to happen, trust me.
    And if that’s what our new owners want, I’ll be on their backs from the off.

Sidforever July 24, 2018 at 6:59 am .

Wow wow wow Badger.

If SB is about to be dismissed I am not that bothered. My reasoning is straight forward. Twice he has failed in his objective to have our club promoted. The critical part was last year. He had resources beyond the scope of all other clubs last year and did not achieve a top two position. Further he made a big play about experienced players. That did not work. Our experienced players significantly outweighed Fulham’s, but to no avail. I have become rather jaded with our club seemingly looking to sign mid 30 year olds on big contracts, rather than giving some of our U23 players a try. How many players has he purchased and decided he does not fancy? Plus, I really dislike his cautious team set up, especially when he had the best squad in the league at his disposal. Let the opposition worry about us, not us worry about them. Finally, SB acknowledged that he would receive the boot if failing to get us promoted.

If it is true Thierry Henry is coming to Villa, then let’s roll with it. Badger, I would give our new owners some space. We now have the 3rd wealthiest owners in the English leagues. Hopefully over time they can counter the restrictive FFP rules and turn us into a dominant force again.

Hitchens60 July 24, 2018 at 6:53 am .

Celebrity manager with no experience – I give you Zola and RDM – no thank you.

It would also be a strange appointment given the new owners business acumen and all the statements around needing to reduce costs. Compo for SB plus, I suspect, a much larger employment package for Henry.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Bill Pearson July 24, 2018 at 7:07 am .

In my mind Idiotic move, he’s not proven manager just an icon to the name of football. Is this the American way of sitting in an office like they do in Collage soccer barking out orders, sacking them on the spot, Bruce didn’t get it right on the day but to be thrown away like that , not the English way its smacks of American ruthlessness being in charge. Wrong wrong football management.

Bum Bum July 24, 2018 at 7:09 am .

Bloody hell!!!

DSVilla July 24, 2018 at 7:36 am .

I’m on the fence with Henry. It would be a big risk. Then again, I’m envious of Derby with Lampard. I would prefer that Henry was appointed as a coach or assistant manager, assuming Bruce stayed on to oversee a transition.

I agree with Sid about Bruce. I will not be sad to see the back of him, for all the reasons Sid lists. I would have preferred an experienced manager with a more positive playing style. All this Championship experience stuff is overrated. Saying that, Henry is a big risk. Shame Wenger isn’t still at Arsenal as we could have loaned some of their talent.

Hold tight it’s going to be some ride.

Bum Bum July 24, 2018 at 7:40 am .

If these owners have experience in sport, they’ll be fully aware celebrity managers rarely work out, but I reckon they’d have done their homework and spoken to Roberto Martinez and Wenger to see if he’s properly ready. He may turn out to be a Zidane or Guadiola rather than a Zola or De Matteo. Henry is much more intelligent than most players, and I don’t think he’d risk his reputation lightly. He’s hands on, humble, pragmatic and not a Billy Big Bollocks like Matteo, and very clever. I’d rather Henry than Lampard any day. I sort of feel sorry for Bruce, but he’ll be paid off okay. I’m going to stick my short stumpy neck out, and say he’ll be massive for us. I just hope he doesn’t lose his accent and pick up a Brummie accent!

Hitchens60 July 24, 2018 at 8:05 am .

Really good post Bum Bum – think you might have persuaded me to be more upbeat about Henry coming in.

I’m not against replacing Bruce, although I will have a lot of sympathy for him given the personal losses he suffered last year which must have affected him in carrying out his job.

Holte66 July 24, 2018 at 8:36 am .

It seems the Henry debate has split the posters opinions. Going back to my earlier post about if they do get rid of Bruce, wouldn’t JT be a better option than Henry considering he has had a years experience at the club?

Hitchens 60 July 24, 2018 at 10:36 am .

But has even less experience at managerial level. At least Henry has been working with Martinez and is reported to be bringing Steve Bould with him who has been assistant to Wenger for some time. I assume the owners would also have spoken to Wenger about Henry.

steve July 24, 2018 at 10:49 am .

One of the most experienced managers out there is Allardyce but would you want him.