Gestede and Veretout in, Baker new contract and maybe Lescott and Praet?

Well it’s just all go isn’t it, lately?
The transfer activity is coming so thick and fast, I’m struggling to keep up, to be honest and it’s going to take me quite a while just to get all the new names sorted in my head.

I think we all knew we were going to have a bit of a clear out this summer, but not for one minute did I envisage that Tim Sherwood would be looking to totally change the team!

So what’s actually happened today?
Rudy Gestede and Jordan Veretout have both signed five-year deals, for, I believe, both undisclosed fees.
I really can’t say I know anything about Veretout apart from he’s a midfielder and frankly, don’t know much about Gestede; except that he was fairly prolific with twenty-two goals for Blackburn in the season just gone.
Perhaps I’m being slightly optimistic, but even with my lack of knowledge about pretty much any player we’ve signed, I suspect Sherwood has carried out some great business in this window.

Perhaps the big shock of the day is Nathan Baker signing a new five-year contract.
I know he’s Marmite to Villa fans, but whatever, that’s one in the eye for The Times, who were insistent that he was going to Burnley for a puny £2 million.
That said, the Times’ story did make a bit of sense where they suggested that Baker wanted to leave to play regularly. I wonder what Sherwood has said about that?

Another surprise was the story that the club bid for Joleon Lescott and seemingly had the bid accepted by West Bromwich Albion, but then overturned by manager Tony Pulis. I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall watching that conversation between Pulis and Albion’s owner, Jeremy Pearce and it wouldn’t surprise me if Pulis had threatened to resign, as we all know he hates interference.
I’ve had a bit of mileage in that story, in winding a couple of Albion fans up, saying we’re going to get him.
The interesting point here, is that both the fans don’t want to lose Lescott. Serves them right for taking the proverbial and offering a stupidly low £2 million for Cieran Clark, in my opinion.

And finally, some of the papers would have us believe we’re still in for Denis Praet.

Like I said, it’s all go.
And I still don’t believe we’re finished yet.

Last point is that I read a blog in last night’s Birmingham Mail, where the writer voiced his concerns that with all these new players, the team might have a problem in gelling quickly enough.
He was ripped to pieces in the replies, but the truth is, I thought he made a very valid point.
We all know that some players can take a season at least to get used to the English game, after all.
I mean, Ligue 1 is a pretty decent league, but it isn’t the Premier league is it?
I’d personally expect a third of our signings to fail and the blunt truth is, it may be more, which does give me some cause for concern.
But then, I’d take the argument that wholesale change was desperately needed, as we were going nowhere with what we had.
I’m not going to let my slight concern put me off though and I’m still excited.

Oh, sorry, this is definitely the last thing.
Can someone tell me how many strikers we have now and if we sign another one, where do we think this leaves Gabby?

Page 5 of 7 1 3 4 5 6 7
    1. badger123 August 1, 2015 at 11:03 pm .

I’ve just seen that.
      I wonder where they might have got that from?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 12:08 am .

Total bollox imo.

2. L'Aston Villa français August 2, 2015 at 12:28 am .

Nonsense Report,

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 3:49 am .

Agree why would Lerner spend £45m if he’s selling.

1. Bum Bum August 2, 2015 at 4:10 am .

To make the club look better for sale. You gotta admit we look a lot more attractive a proposition now than at the end of last season.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 10:59 am .

True. It no one knows how new signings will pan out. I think most will be ok but won’t gel till around Xmas.

1. billys boots August 1, 2015 at 11:31 pm .

i normally rubbish news papers but they have been spot on all through the close season

2. saddened August 2, 2015 at 7:21 am .

Reports are Adebayor has completed medical and we have agreed terms with Spurs, but he is haggling over his wages……. hmmmm He should be grateful of the opportunity, I smell trouble!

1. Hitchens 60 August 2, 2015 at 8:46 am .

That’s because we’re probably looking to reduce the £100k per week diwn to £60k – well, at least I hope that’s the reason.

1. Hitchens 60 August 2, 2015 at 8:47 am .

………. or else get him on a play well and we’ll pay you basis!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 11:04 am .

At last common sense. No problem on a pay as u play and score deal.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 11:03 am .

60k a week is ridiculous for us to pay on a player like that. If that’s the case why didn’t we just give benteke an extra 60k a week and keep him.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 11:00 am .

We don’t need him why are we wasting money on this mercenary when we could buy a decent CH and RB instead. Ridiculous

1. domingo August 2, 2015 at 11:17 am .

i agree . with the attackers we have bought a RB and CB have to be more important than a washed up lazy strikers. we have one of them already at the club and at least ours supports the villa.

1. saddened August 2, 2015 at 11:23 am .

If it is taking him 5 days to sort his wages there is only 2 outcomes and both are negative..

a) he comes to us but thinks he is worth more than we are paying = he goes on a sulk
          b) we pay him what he wants, which means he is the highest paid player = everyone else goes on a sulk

I think we should pull the plug !

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 4:44 pm .

Exactly I think Spurs and Adebeyor are forgetting one thing that is : we are doing them the favour taking him not the other way round!

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 4:42 pm .

Agreed

3. Bill Pearson August 2, 2015 at 8:20 am .

Hi Saddened, just trying to catch up on events got back lastnight, I’m not a favorite of Adebayor seems to switch off a lot in games, as for the new lot, god knows what we’ve got, not taking much notice on results from friendlies mean nothing but fitness. I’m worried on experience of incoming foreigners and their fitness to our premiere league game, think its a wait and see.

1. Hitchens 60 August 2, 2015 at 8:45 am .

Hi Bill – hope you had a good one. Lots going on and some good players acquired at price levels we said we wanted to see. Agree with you that it’s now down to TS to get them playing together. Think we’ll see plenty of goals ………. at both ends!

2. GIDDYVILLAN August 2, 2015 at 9:05 am .

Hi Bill welcome home MATE,it’s gone a bit ooh la la at the club as you might notice.

1. DSVilla August 2, 2015 at 9:16 am .

better than oohaha I suppose!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 11:05 am .

IV been positive lately this is the new oohagh 🙂

1. saddened August 2, 2015 at 11:29 am .

Hi Bill, welcome home!

Very exciting at the club, we have some great additions… Is now up to Tim to get them up for it and Mr Wilkins to get them technically ready, I am quietly confident we may just be the surprise package next season, we have the back up and team…. so no excuses !

3. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 11:02 am .

We did need wholesale changes tbf but I’m a bit worried it may be too many too soon. But surely can’t be any worse than the dross of last 3 seasons.

4. LANGFORDVILLA August 2, 2015 at 10:14 am .

Welcome home Bill…..bet you cant name all 9 of our new arrivals in under 30 seconds 🙂

5. pat57 August 2, 2015 at 11:21 am .

I find I’m (slightly) agreeing with Oohahh in that it might look like that there have been too many changes.

However I strongly feel that radical surgery was required. The losing mentality had gotten too deeply into the footballing DNA of too many of our players and so they had to go.

I can only ask Oohahh and all of you to be a bit patient with the new team as it will take time to get them playing as a unit. However I feel optimistic that Tim and the new management team will make it happen in time.

Getting very excited and hoping to watch Villa beat Bournemouth by two goals on MOTD next Saturday

UTV

1. ORIGINALLONDONLION August 2, 2015 at 11:45 am .

Well I will be there Pat. A historic day for me because Bournemouth are my second team following the epic Div 3 game at VP. If you are right about the score it will be 5-3 to Villa because I can see Cherries putting 3 past Guzan if the defending in front of him mirrors our performance in recent friendlies.

I am 100% in favour of the total make over. As you say it was needed to expunge the losing mentality. You are right also that Villa will need time to gel and playing a good side who can score from all positions is a tough start. I have to say I wouldn’t want Distin or Ings at Villa so I am doubtful Howe has strengthened his side with those 2. Roll on Saturday.

1. LANGFORDVILLA August 2, 2015 at 11:56 am .

Ings at Bournemouth????

1. ORIGINALLONDONLION August 2, 2015 at 6:01 pm .

A Trypo Langford – sorry, it should read MINGS.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 4:43 pm .

I will be patient think by Xmas the team should gel nicely and get some consistency. But should imagine form will be erratic for first few months.

6. domingo August 2, 2015 at 11:24 am .

talk of Gary Gardner going back to Forest on loan. Im thinking he is done at villa . its starting to look like he will never be injury free and maybe time to let him go.

1. Hitchens 60 August 2, 2015 at 11:37 am .

You may be right but can’t legislate for the tackle that left him injured this time; gutted for the lad

1. saddened August 2, 2015 at 11:48 am .

Yes shame for him, I always thought he would be exceptional, but have the feeling now he will only be decent for the championship.

2. Bill Pearson August 2, 2015 at 11:53 am .

Hi Hi, giddy Langford, Saddened, oh f-+”*t it all of you, even Oohah’s, yes been on ship what a surprise to see Sherwood meant what he said to the Wembley lot find another club, just been speaking to my nipper happy as pig in shit, now let’s get behind the team and Oohah’s if you mean what your saying a new Oohah’s,well welcome to the club, I see happy days ahead, Hitch, them flaming weeds have took over since I’ve been away.bigger than my runners,

1. Hitchens 60 August 2, 2015 at 1:09 pm .

Same problem Bill – can’t see my onions for mares tail – need a blo**y flamethrower 🙂

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 4:47 pm .

I do mean it Bill IV had major surgery with the team 🙂

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 4:45 pm .

Probably right

7. saddened August 2, 2015 at 11:47 am .

French Media, saying we are now in advanced talks with Diego Rolan…… fingers crossed, lets give adebayor the heave ho !

8. pat57 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm .

See Alan Smith predicts we’ll finish 16th –

Also predicts Barcodes, Newcastle, Palace,Bournemouth will finish above us! Hope TS prints it off and puts it on the dressing room wall.

Now for my prediction that we’ll finish above the Barcodes, Newcastle, Palace and Bournemouth starting with 3 points next Saturday.

UTV

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2015 at 4:47 pm .

I think we could finish in top ten as long as we get defence sorted.