General thoughts and Bruce resigns.

So I’ve been watching the Villa news avidly, as per usual, but you guys have been quicker to the mark which means I’ve mostly been getting the news from you lot, hence I’ve little to add at the moment.

You’ve done an excellent job in keeping me informed, so please keep it up!

It’s frankly a case of me just posting something new for the sake of it so we move the headline forward.
If I have something different to add, I’ll do so.

I have to say, I’m loving the business we’ve been doing (the Mings price apart, as much as I like him) including the players we’re still linked with. Douglas Luiz particularly seems a very good bet, given the buy back clause. If Pep wants him, you’d have to expect he’s a good player.
But even though it appears we might get him in as our defensive mid, who does Dean Smith have in mind to back him up?
I’ve seen it said that Hourihane is the answer.
And that’s just wrong to my mind, as he’s just too lightweight, even though I praised him for getting stuck in during the play-off final.
Maybe Bjarnason is the backup DM?
I don’t know.

And then I see here that Steve Bruce has resigned from Sheff Weds.
On the face of it, that seems quite treacherous, given that the Owls took him on when to my mind he’s demonstrated how he’s a yesterday’s man (albeit a safe choice).
But it’s obvious he’s going to Newcastle and it’s a management choice he just can’t resist.
Just like Dean Smith, who could resist managing “their own” club?

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but I suspect Bruce might have made a big mistake here.
The barcodes want to watch attacking football and from what we’ve seen with him managing the Villa, he’s far too pragmatic and just won’t play like that.
Of course, the fans will give him the benefit of the doubt for a while, but I see him as only a survival-type manager and it will ultimately go badly.
That said, I do appreciate how he stabilised us and wish him all the best.
Except I expect them to be one of our major competitors this season, where I hope he seriously struggles.

Keep posting the updates guys, they’re much appreciated by me in yet another torrid time at work.

UTV!

Page 5 of 6 1 3 4 5 6
    Bill Pearson July 21, 2019 at 2:32 pm .

Bloody confusion here, I was thinking who the f is otter then realised its Jota , still it is my anniversary, and entitled to have a drink.58 years is a mile stone.

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 2:44 pm .

As he’s Spanish it’s pronounced either as ‘Hotter’ or in certain areas with a gutteral ‘H’ as though you’re coughing up phlegm. However, it’s definitely never ‘Jotter’.

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 2:51 pm .

It’s getting hotter over here in Cyprus! Can’t wait for the season to start – just hope I can get a ticket every now and again!

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 2:52 pm .

Congrats Bill. I asked you the same question on your recent birthday: what’s the secret (to long marriage)?

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 2:43 pm .

The conclusion to the first half hour is that we need a potent force up top. I hope this won’t be the conclusion of our season. I’m eagerly awaiting the signing of a classy center forward. Could it be the young Portuguese, Leao? I’d be happy with Maupay.

Three weeks to go! If Luiz and Trezeguet are all but dusted, that’s three weeks to get that striker and a top goalkeeper. Not a bad summer’s work so far, but the cherries need adding to the cake!

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 2:47 pm .

Keinan just made my point. Took a pass on the edge of the box with his back to goal. Instead of turning and having a shot, he played it simple and layed it off. Need a striker with natural killer instinct, whose only thought is scoring goals. They don’t come cheep, and rightly so!

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 2:51 pm .

Well the Shrews are giving us a game.Jack and John played well and Mings was impressive when coming out of defence. Otherwise Jota was the best player on view.

Now let’s see what Wesley can do. I must admit that I’d have sooner seen him play when Jack and Jota were on the field to see how they might link up but I daresay that Smith knows what he’s doing.

Bill Pearson July 21, 2019 at 3:00 pm .

Yes seen that BFR, still he does hold the ball up well but has to learn to turn and strike the ball, I still don’t think these friendlies do a lot for the players only stroll through the game, a player must think well it’s only a friendly it don’t mean much. Us fans like to see why we spend so much money and a game must be won, at Villa park Wednesday spending my pension on a new shirt, got the shorts, and ready to kick a case ball and not a plastic coated one.utv

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 3:08 pm .

Great stuff Bill, I quite fancy a shirt this season! The last one I bought had ‘Ginola 14′ on the back!

I’ve no problems with good hold up play, but I do have a problem with anyone who plays centre forward and can’t score goals! Think Ian Wright vs Villa at Highbury in 1993. Edge of the box, swivel, shoot, goal. How about Les Ferdinand QPR vs United in 1994/95. Back to goal, outside the area, turn, smashed it in the top corner. That’s the kind of instinct i want to see in the number 9 at VP! Mark Hughes could hold the ball up, but he know how to bang ’em in too!

Bill Pearson July 21, 2019 at 3:17 pm .

Shit BFR, you’ve got a good memory, mine is seen it, that was good and its gone. Your right Dean knows what he’s doing, all this is building them to know each others play and having a happy camp. I’m off on Saturday visiting other countries and showing my colours.utv .

Big Fat Ron July 22, 2019 at 7:49 pm .

I’ve dug that Ferdinand goal out for you, Bill! This is what you do when you receive the ball with your back to goal!

Big Fat Ron July 22, 2019 at 7:57 pm .

And here’s the Ian Wright one on 4:00. Another example of how to score with your back to goal! Surprised how easily I found these!

(worth watching the whole thing for a super Villa win – great times under Big Ron!)

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 3:30 pm .

Nice through ball from Wesley and a nutmeg on the goalie from Hogan.

Not sure we quite deserved it though.

Bill Pearson July 21, 2019 at 3:30 pm .

I like that Wesley, sharp and positive, he’s our man.

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 3:31 pm .

Wesley looks a handful. The sooner he gets a goal, the better…