General thoughts and Bruce resigns.

So I’ve been watching the Villa news avidly, as per usual, but you guys have been quicker to the mark which means I’ve mostly been getting the news from you lot, hence I’ve little to add at the moment.

You’ve done an excellent job in keeping me informed, so please keep it up!

It’s frankly a case of me just posting something new for the sake of it so we move the headline forward.
If I have something different to add, I’ll do so.

I have to say, I’m loving the business we’ve been doing (the Mings price apart, as much as I like him) including the players we’re still linked with. Douglas Luiz particularly seems a very good bet, given the buy back clause. If Pep wants him, you’d have to expect he’s a good player.
But even though it appears we might get him in as our defensive mid, who does Dean Smith have in mind to back him up?
I’ve seen it said that Hourihane is the answer.
And that’s just wrong to my mind, as he’s just too lightweight, even though I praised him for getting stuck in during the play-off final.
Maybe Bjarnason is the backup DM?
I don’t know.

And then I see here that Steve Bruce has resigned from Sheff Weds.
On the face of it, that seems quite treacherous, given that the Owls took him on when to my mind he’s demonstrated how he’s a yesterday’s man (albeit a safe choice).
But it’s obvious he’s going to Newcastle and it’s a management choice he just can’t resist.
Just like Dean Smith, who could resist managing “their own” club?

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but I suspect Bruce might have made a big mistake here.
The barcodes want to watch attacking football and from what we’ve seen with him managing the Villa, he’s far too pragmatic and just won’t play like that.
Of course, the fans will give him the benefit of the doubt for a while, but I see him as only a survival-type manager and it will ultimately go badly.
That said, I do appreciate how he stabilised us and wish him all the best.
Except I expect them to be one of our major competitors this season, where I hope he seriously struggles.

Keep posting the updates guys, they’re much appreciated by me in yet another torrid time at work.

UTV!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Big Fat Ron July 19, 2019 at 10:05 am .

The new kit also looks excellent! Perfect shade of claret, not like some of the dodgy lighter shades we’ve seen in the past.

Big Fat Ron July 19, 2019 at 10:30 am .

How many of our players should be aiming to get into the England squad asap? I’m sure Deano and the coaches will be setting these targets and challenges.
    Grealish, Mings, and Targett, definitely!

Holte66 July 19, 2019 at 10:55 am .

Villa reported to be holding talks with Sturridge. Hope it’s not true because I don’t think he is the right personality for us now. Wrong age, constantly injured, hardly played last few seasons! Add to that he was banned and fined for betting!!
    Don’t even care if it’s pay as you play contract, there are many better options out there.
    Agree with Big Fat Ron that Villa shirt much better this season. Definitely more claret than purple. Also traditional blue sleeves and not a copy of West Ham which we had last season.

Texas Villan July 19, 2019 at 4:02 pm .

I don’t believe there’s any legs to that at all. From all the messages coming from DS and Purslow, this would be in complete opposition to that. And if there were legs to it (which I doubt), then I’d have to trust that DS has seen enough of the situation that he can manage it and get the best out of him. I’d have snapped Liverpool’s arm off for him the year we got relegated, but many might have said the same about Gabby earlier in his career too. I hope there’s nothing in it.

Hitchens60 July 19, 2019 at 8:58 pm .

It’s like the Ampadu rumours – no basis in fact!

As Dean Smith said – ‘We’re going to buy everyone and anyone – many of the names we’ve been linked with we haven’t even discussed!’

Where do the media actually get this ‘information’ from or perhaps they just have a team of so called ‘football insiders’ who sit in a darkened room and make it all up?

From our own experiences we have learnt that accuracy isn’t a particularly important word when it comes to selling newspapers – or in the modern world – selling clicks!

Badger123 July 19, 2019 at 10:09 pm .

“they just have a team of so called ‘football insiders’ who sit in a darkened room and make it all up?”

This.

We’re still being linked with Austin!

Originallondonlion July 20, 2019 at 12:59 am .

Austin? Can you still get the spares? He failed his MOT when Southampton got him so he was uninsured.

It’s agents BS to their fading clients. “yes your still wanted in the Prem fella. I’ll get on the blower to one of the promoted trio, trouble is the Blades and Canaries are skint so it’ll have to be the Villa – tell your friendly hack.”

nath July 20, 2019 at 8:01 am .

hope everyone is getting excited about the upcoming season. i got my new villa shirt ordered. old one had become a curse, needed a new lucky charm. didnt get to see the friendly in usa. saw some clips and read the fans reactions, so hard to gauge, if it was good or bad, see the fans still have it in for certain players, i personally wouldn’t read to much from one pre friendly. they would have been run into the ground for fitness the week before the game and then the heat factor,also this would just been the first game they played together. also i heard they played to different sides 1st and 2nd. its basically training in front of the fans.

but i like the fact they took on a usa team, who are in their mid season. so should have been fitter in front of a big crowd. i also like how smith didnt disrupt this friendly, by the way most managers do in friendlies throwing on subs mid game. i always thought why dont they do this at half time instead of 60 minutes changing the whole team.

if anybody watched this game how did wesley do ??

Pat 57 July 20, 2019 at 8:53 am .

Just wondering if you’ve been listening to the wrong fans as I watched the whole game live and was very positive about it afterwards. I certainly wouldn’t criticise anyone as I think everyone played okay with quite a few playing better than okay.

Wesley certainly looks the part and had a few chances but it’s probably going to take a while before he gets up to speed.

We should have a chance for another look with tomorrow’s game at Shrewsbury. I’m looking forward to it.

nath July 20, 2019 at 9:19 am .

i saw this on fb, but it wasn’t all bad gripes some were more honest i suspect. but i was amazed their were some, being the first game back. cheers for your response, i will be happy to see the next one myself if the shrewsbury is on you tube.

Pat 57 July 20, 2019 at 12:39 pm .

Nath according to the AVFC site all Villa’s UK games will be shown on their YouTube site. Not sure what’s happening about the Leipzig game but I’m hoping that it might be on RB Leipzig’s site.

All the friendly fixtures are here –

Bill Pearson July 20, 2019 at 4:12 pm .

I see Maupay been left out of the squad again us and Sheffield are after him.

Bill Pearson July 20, 2019 at 1:03 pm .

IS THIS THE 9TH MAN?

Aston Villa are set to make Egypt international Trezeguet their ninth summer signing in a deal worth an initial £8.75 million.

Villa have agreed a fee with Turkish club Kasimpasa for the highly-rated winger, who is having a medical at the club’s training ground this weekend.

Trezeguet, 24, impressed for Egypt in what was a disappointing Africa Cup of Nations for his country and Villa have been determined to bring him to the Premier League.

It is understood the deal includes significant add-ons if Trezeguet proves a success, and Villa are confident that the former Anderlecht star will prove an exciting signing.

Trezeguet’s capture will take Villa’s spending towards the £100 million mark but accusations that Championship’s play-off winners are “doing a Fulham” were dismissed by chief executive Christian Purslow this week.

Pat 57 July 20, 2019 at 2:14 pm .

Bill I hope this is right. With El Ghazi on one wing and Trezeguet on the other that would mean that Jota would be playing more centrally which is where he might be at his most effective.

Here’s hoping…

nath July 20, 2019 at 2:24 pm .

under smith the wingers and full backs work hard, so they will all get their turn. his system will become more obvious now he has had got his pre season to stamp his style more. his wingers are not the wingers of old like mark walters who loved the touchline and craved reaching the byeline to cross, under smith the wingers will cut in more and the full backs will be the ones running on the over lap. just as smith did at brentford.

i am excited to see this, brentford were very easy on the eye. it will be harder at villa being at a higher level but i have full confidence smith will accomplish it

Pat 57 July 20, 2019 at 4:42 pm .

Bill the Star also saying that Trezeguet and Luiz are imminent at a total cost of £24 million. Hope they’re right.

If we manage to get Heaton and Maupay too then I think it will have been the best transfer window I’ve ever experienced by a country mile.

Originallondonlion July 20, 2019 at 11:54 pm .

Sorry to say it – but NONE of the current England goalkeepers are any good. They are not being sought by, and they would not improve, any top-half EPL side. That should be a clue that Villa should not bother chasing them either. Villa might be able to get a loan of a young keeper on Chelsea’s books called Ziger.

Badger123 July 20, 2019 at 6:19 pm .

Just in case anyone didn’t catch this decent article;

Interesting thoughts about Mings, that quite align with my earlier comments.

And also this;

“It does emphasise how ambitious Villa are. They will have looked at Wolves and how successful they’ve been.
    And Aston Villa are still, whether there are arguments about this or not, the biggest club in the Midlands.”

It’s a good read for us Villans.

nath July 20, 2019 at 7:12 pm .

i met a old mate today, who supports man city, he reckons villa might do alright this season, which means very good he never one for getting excited. he also went on to say the kid, that they couldn’t get a work permit for is a top prospect. he should fit in really good at villa. also he went on to say that they thought he was ready for their first team in the Fernandinho position. they have a young english kid called foden who is also getting better in this position,

anybody know if we signed this Brazilian yet. was on sky that their was no major concerns. but why has it not been confirmed. hope nobody jumps in and steals him. we signed some decent players, defenders and forwards, but no sitting mids which we don’t have many options in our squad yet.

Hitchens60 July 20, 2019 at 7:23 pm .

Nath – deal for Luiz is supposed to be all OK and doing paperwork for work permit which is possibly now the biggest hurdle to him becoming a Villa player. Don’t forget we’ve been here before when Villa were confident of getting a permit for Kalinic and failed so fingers crossed.

nath July 20, 2019 at 7:37 pm .

i watched a video of this guy and he looks awesome. but i wouldnt say hes a holding mid more like a all rounder. but my mate says hes holding mid plays there for his country, my fingers are crossed he looks like a major cog in our team if he signs

nath July 20, 2019 at 7:40 pm .

i have to say them you tube vids conned me once or twice before. remember that tonev and the guy who had his pants pulled down by a spuds player they looked awesome on the good old you tube vids lol, but i think this time, this guy is the real deal

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 3:32 am .

Nath, I posted about this earlier. A few days ago I watched the rerun of a La Liga game Barcelona v Girona. It was early in the season and Luiz came on with 20 minutes to go. He steadied the ship for Girona in mid-field and helped them get a 2-2 draw.Not bad as the game was at the Camp Nou.

I watched a lot of Girona’s games and Luiz was one of three players who stood out for me last season so you can be assured that he’s no Tonev. Of course, how well he might play in the Prem is still to be seen.

nath July 21, 2019 at 9:51 am .

what about him looking like a up and down midfielder. i believe he has a wide amount of skills. he big strong and fast and has a eye for a pass. seems he is more than just a holding midfielder.

but my mate says that his position for his country. what position did you see him play. thanks for the post, i think this guy really is the important cog. i just don’t want to be disappointed.

i hear this morning we signed that Trezeguet this guy has amazing stats and his performance in the african cup has been top notch. i also caught the goals from the usa friendly. three good goals. the lansbury was a goal i love seeing. a top cross, picked out nicely into the stride of a decent finish. bjanassosn finish was also a nice cross and decent finish. grealish shot wasnt far behind. something grealish needs to work on finishing. that shot is really hard for keepers as it bounces just before its on the goalies grasp. i am looking forwards today game. give me a good look at our shape

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 11:26 am .

Nath,
                Luiz was playing just in front of the defence in the Barcelona game. While some of the team were panicking, as Barca were piling the pressure on, Luiz was trying, and often succeeding, in passing the ball out to the attacking players. He seemed quite a cool customer and, in the cauldron that is the Camp Nou, that’s quite a feat.

nath July 21, 2019 at 1:49 pm .

sounds a treat pat. cant wait to see him in the claret

Big Fat Ron July 21, 2019 at 2:53 pm .

Sounds like the Brazilian Roy Keane!

Jordan Selleck July 20, 2019 at 10:09 pm .

If the Neal Maupay deal doesn’t materialise,then a good shout would be the Brazilian on loan from Inter Milan striker Gabriel Barbosa who’s doing well for Corinthians. 3 Brazilians wouldn’t be too many,would it?

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 2:02 pm .

5,000 in the ground and over 13,000 watching live, not bad for a friendly.

Team for the first half –

Steer, Guilbert,Taylor,Konsa, Mings, Grealish, Thor, McGinn, Green, Davis, Jota

COYL

Pat 57 July 21, 2019 at 2:08 pm .

Sorry 21,000 watching now.

Bill Pearson July 21, 2019 at 2:16 pm .

And me Pat, 21,001, I don’t think this will tell us much as fans, early days its mostly fitness, Grealish booked. Think the ref wanted his autograph.