Fulham 2-0 Villa; We lost but I’m not too downbeat

All Goals Fulham 2-0 Aston Villa (08-12-2013… by video4all

The rumour was that Martin Jol had lost the dressing room when he was at Tottenham and I suspect this was also the case at Fulham too.
Sod’s law then, that we get to play them so early in the new manager’s reign.

Fulham certainly didn’t look like a seriously struggling side today, did they?
And just as some of us feared, Berbatov turned it on today, with some great runs and some lovely flicks.

That’s enough about them though and I’ll get back to what matters, ie the Villa.

Even though we lost (and I don’t really think it was a 2-0 losing performance), I actually thought we played ok. The central defence handled most stuff pretty well and it was a pleasure for me to actually think that we seemed to have stopped the pathetic standard of basic passing that it seems I’ve been criticising for weeks.

If I’m going to be critical though, I have to say Bacuna was our weak link today. Not because of the penalty though.
Hopefully many of you know that I’m not as one eyed as some of us when it comes to penalties and my take is that while the pen was indeed very soft, Bacuna seemed to impede the attacker.
Hence I can see why it was given.
But by the same token, I could easily accept that the attacker looked for it.
My point is that I can see why it was given.

Not that it mattered ultimately, as we were already one down with what I thought was a good goal from Sidwell. I thought the ball was well on the way out, but Sidwell persisted and caught out Guzan, who had committed himself far too early.
It was a bit of an off day for the goalie in some ways, but he also made a few very good saves, so I’m not pointing the finger at him.
Actually I’m not pointing the finger at anybody.

I think Fulham played very well and while I’ve just heard commentators saying Villa were poor, I think that’s denying Fulham the credit they deserved today.
To put it in context, they created 20 attempts.

It was pretty obvious how we’d set up in the first half, with our typical long ball out to the breaking strikers and to be honest, I’m beginning to find it tedious.
Paul Merson made me laugh at half time, when he said that he thought we’d go long in the second half.
Huh? Like we hadn’t in the first half?
Anyway, Lambert never took any notice of his comments and at least did try to play it a bit wider with Tonev coming on for Al Ahmedi and Albrighton coming on later.
It didn’t work though and as the game went on, so I thought it was more unlikely that we would score.

As for Gabby’s pen shout, no doubt about that one.
The defender didn’t touch the ball and trod on Gabby’s foot.
Clear penalty and a bad decision at the end of the day, I say.

The disappointing bit?
Delph getting suspended for the next game against Man U, with yet another poor tackle.
I like the kid, but I’ve got more chance of playing for England than he has if he keeps doing that.

That and the fact that we are so obviously lacking a quality midfield player with real guile who can unlock a defence.
Just the same as we’ve all been saying for ages.
If this isn’t addressed in the window, I’ll be asking serious questions.

1. Jay Dee December 10, 2013 at 7:51 am . Reply

Every year AVFC gets a spanking from a team last season Chelski,Season B4 I think Newcastle blah blah blah…….Up till now we havnt really had a spanking this season Jinx lol…I don’t expect much from the UShited game and I think they are on the look out to batter someone let’s hope it’s not us and we get something from a real difficult home game…..COYL UTV

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 10, 2013 at 9:51 pm . Reply

Yep I agree. On another front why do we always get utd at home in deuce very fucking year. Just when we start getting injuries etc no wonder they always win at vp. Another fixture fix IMO

2. Naughtius Maximus December 10, 2013 at 8:01 am . Reply

my fears there too jay dee, united have already lost 2 home prem games on the bounce and will be looking to prove themselves, they have a run in to the end of December of 4 very winnable games, its bad timing for us.
    with vlarr probably out again im expecting a drubbing against them sorry to say.

1. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 8:33 am . Reply

It’s timing NM we don’t get alot of luck there,it’s either when a new manager has been just appointed,first game back for star players or a team inflicts a convincing thumping after a poor run of form.utd im not looking forward to this one im thinking 1-4utd already mate.fucking scary imo

3. Naughtius Maximus December 10, 2013 at 8:03 am . Reply

their confidence is fucked though and if we could get an early goal they might fall to bits. but early goals seem to be something we don’t do at the moment.

1. BWS December 10, 2013 at 9:10 am . Reply

Never a better time to play them, with rumour having it that Van Persie put in a transfer request last Tuesday there’s definitely trouble at mill.

1. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 9:19 am . Reply

I suppose BWS i carn’t disagree with you mate im getting well fucked off with the taste of this humble pie.i just picture a calamity sunday,oops there i go again.

1. BWS December 10, 2013 at 9:54 am . Reply

We’re up and down mate beating the likes of Man City and losing to Fulham, Villa are like a box chocolates you never know quite what you’re going to get!
          Mate if ever they was a time you were going to get a result against them dirty Mancs it’s now, out of form and a team in terminal (I hope) decline.

1. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 10:10 am .

I really hope so mate,i could do with an uplift.like yourself i fucking hate those manc’s.

4. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 8:41 am . Reply

Anyone heard how long vlaar’s sidelined days,weeks or months?JD your in the know mate ive heard or read fuck all.i think utd could be too much of an ask to see him back.

5. Naughtius Maximus December 10, 2013 at 9:08 am . Reply

i read a bit via news now that lambert was hopeful of vlarrs return after the united game but its all a bit vague.
    heard kozac is a doubt too + delph suspended. 🙁

1. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 9:16 am . Reply

Cheers mate it doesn’t sounds that bad then.with kodak a doubt,will we get to see helinius?

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 10, 2013 at 9:53 pm . Reply

Kozacs no loss but Delph and vlaar are

6. Naughtius Maximus December 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm . Reply

id like to see him get some game time

7. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 9:01 pm . Reply

He certainly should be given a chance he couldn’t do any worse than some of them mate.

8. giddyvillan December 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm . Reply

We’re fucked no vlaar & delph,fuck me what a depressing sod i am.