Fulham 2 – 0 Villa; It’s not an “end of the world” result.

Truth time it is then and the reality is that I didn’t really expect to win this one.
Yes, I said I was confident on here, but I was telling the lads at work that I’d be very happy with the draw.
I think it stems from the criticism a while back, that the site was overly negative and me not wanting it to seem like that.
That said, my overall confidence is genuine and when we’ve been achieving results, well, you just can’t be negative, can you? There’s also no better time to be optimistic.

Anyway, the point of my admission is to say that I don’t believe this was a bad result.
Apart from the fact that our excellent run had to end sometime, it’s also no disgrace losing to a good Fulham side that have an excellent record at home.

Of course, it wasn’t a good result either, but what’s more important is how we bounce back from it.
In that sense, I think we’ll be ok.

What’s more disconcerting is that the performance was pretty disjointed.
There’s the valid excuse that we missed Grealish and Adomah, but that makes it a bit worrying that the team seems so reliant on them to make us creative.
Then again, losing two of your best players against a team performing very well, will always be a big problem and while Steve Bruce shuffled the team round to try and adapt, so it didn’t really work and he might have to look for another solution.

So what’s the point of this post?
The truth is I don’t really know and I’m just musing on the possibilities.

Much depends on how long both Grealish and Adomah are out, particularly together, as we could probably stand just one of them being out of the side.
Get at least one back in and things will be better.
But as it stands, both are looking doubtful for the Preston game, which will make that one another tough contest.

I’m not offering any thoughts as to what we should do to try to remedy things, as the manager is very much his own man and will do what he wants, regardless of what we think.
And I’ve no reason to doubt him anyway, as we’re still sat in a very decent position, as much as these latest injuries might make things immediately more difficult.

“Twists and turns”, I keep reminding myself.
It’s what makes the Championship such an interesting league.
And frankly, much better than the Prem, I’m finding more and more.

Page 9 of 10 1 7 8 9 10
  1. nath February 20, 2018 at 9:17 pm . Reply

hutton playing like he does deserves a new contract

2. nath February 20, 2018 at 9:19 pm . Reply

as much as we played shit and been outplayed in this game we need 3 points somehow cant lose or draw this

3. nath February 20, 2018 at 9:47 pm . Reply

my final thoughts. rubbish
    without grealish we are ordinary. you ohare in but he is not gonna make a blind bit of difference, grealish is world class compared to the rest in this squad and youth squad. i will pray that grealish is back next game or more upset is due.

got to have hutton as man of match. just for his effort his driving runs which should be embarrassment to out mids and forwards. a fullback who is playing on not his favoured side is our more dangerous player

4. Tekkers48 February 20, 2018 at 9:54 pm . Reply

Another point in the bag. Results tomorrow will determine how good it is to us. After a run of wins like we have had it was always coming (a few bad results). But we will hopefully have Grealish back for the weekend and we go again. Keep the faith. Still all to play for.

5. Villain1 February 20, 2018 at 10:22 pm . Reply

Disappointing but entirely predictable result, as soon as I saw the line up I knew we wouldn’t win. Instead of utilising the effective system we had and bringing in the right replacements (i.e. – Grabban, O’Hare /Lansbury) , we use the injuries as an excuse to go ultra negative.
    I fear we are on the cusp of another Bruce special winless run which will end our automatic hopes. We haven’t got much hope in the play offs, we’ve been battered and outplayed by Fulham, Cardiff and Derby at various this season already so whichever of those we’ll end up facing I wouldn’t fancy us at all.
    I know it all seems rather downbeat for a team that recently won 7 in a row, but realistically we all know that when we’ve come up against the better sides we’ve fallen short predominantly tactically and through team selection which I lay squarely at the blame of the management team.

1. Hitchens60 February 20, 2018 at 10:52 pm . Reply

Villain1 you do make good points but selectively choosing three matches to make your point does you a disservice. We haven’t fallen against all the better sides in the Championship. For instance, why not recognise that PNE have only lost one of their last 17 games and Fulham are all but unbeatable at Craven Cottage. We do not have some God given right to be perfect every game nor is our management team perfect.

Of course we can criticise but I fear we are now on the cusp of another ‘crisis’ which doesn’t help the team.

We all recognise Grealish is a class apart yet sometimes one would think reading the comments on here we should be able to magic up a replacement!

Whilst the last two games / results are disappointing – any team in the Championship losing two of their best creative / attacking players would struggle.

UTV

6. B6 February 20, 2018 at 10:29 pm . Reply

Good to see the experts on here writing us off again. Still 14-15 games to go, 2 points off 2nd and it’s all over for us the way they go on.

Fucking laughable.

1. Hitchens60 February 20, 2018 at 10:53 pm . Reply

Fair comment B6 – we’re at crisis point again!

7. Benno February 21, 2018 at 3:04 am . Reply

Thought apart from bjarnasson our midfield was very poor. Jedinak miles off the pace and hourihane anonymous. BB is by far our best centre mid at the moment.

Grealish is a massive loss for us but we have the likes of ohare or lansbury who can play that role too. We just looked disjointed today against another decent team.

1. Bill Pearson February 21, 2018 at 11:53 am . Reply

I don’t see anyone writing us off , maybe giving their opinion yes, cause its not late unless something stupid happens. No over till the fat lady sings.

8. nath February 21, 2018 at 6:30 am . Reply

lansbury and ohare are nothing like grealish and YES in my opinion. both can play the role. but do it in their own style. lansbury has a knack of finding late runs onto a cross. ohare is not ready for the big time. he looks like a player with some inventions but having this ability and being able to influenece a game with it like grealish are two massive differences. grealish has had his ability since we can remember, but its only since the last recovery from injury that he has been able to transferee this to the footbll pitch on match days MORE regular,

without grealish in the starting line up. i think that you have to change the system like they did last night. they tried to go longer and they managed to recover from a goal down. preston were better for longer periods of this game. if i were their manager i would be upset with a point.

oh another quality of grealish is he knows how to pull the strings of his fellow teammates. he plays the right balls for that player without the need of dialogue.

i thought hutton was best claret and blue by miles. we are a team of pass the buck without grealish. hutton took it to himself to try taking the game to them. he went on many foraging runs. was the best attacker in what he did in their half.

1. Benno February 22, 2018 at 3:46 am . Reply

So you’re saying without Grealish we have to resort to playing long balls? We have other players in the squad that can be the link to the front man.

Grealish is a cut above anyone in the championship, but just because he is out doesnt mean we stop playing football and go back to hoof ball like we saw earlier in the season.

9. Adam February 21, 2018 at 8:39 am . Reply

Why not give them a proper chance to prove themselves? Im not being negative were in a fantastic position with the games left but its worrying without grealish and adomah Bruce was pretty much admitting defeat against Fulham before a ball was kicked and so so predictable when i saw the lineup for the Preston game. If i can see it then the opposition must be overjoyed and boost their confidence before a game. At least an unkown quanitity like ohare and hepburn murphy, teams wont know what to expect and that could play in to our hands. Gives us freshness and something different. In my opinion those 2 mentioned are ready they just need to learn their trade playing 1st team LEAGUE games not crappy cup games which are as useful as u23s.

1. DSVilla February 21, 2018 at 9:56 am . Reply

We should at least have the option of O’Hare in particular to come off the bench. As far as I am aware Bruce wanted to keep O’Hare at the club rather than go out on loan. Why? He is one of those players that tries to influence play, rather than taking the safe option, and he has an eye for goal. If we don’t loan him or give him any time on the pitch for the first team when is he going to feature or be ready? Suppose we get promoted – what then? He’s hardly going to get a shot in the Prem if he isn’t given one at this level.

It’s not over yet but we need to be braver as a team. If we can’t do that after 7 wins on the trot I don’t know when that will come. Adomah and Grealish are a big loss, but with the right attitude we could do a bit better with what we have in reserve.

It’s not a crisis but we need to get back to winning ways asap.

10. Holte 66 February 21, 2018 at 5:58 pm . Reply

I didn’t watch the game last night but by all accounts we struggled badly first half and improved slightly second half. A couple of villa fans I know who went up said pretty much the same thing. Keeper at fault for second game in a row, although I forgive him that for his previous performances. Bjarnasson struggled in Adomahs role but much better when switched to middle. Onomah was useless and should have gone off at half time instead of Hourihane. Grabban did well but Davis was poor from what I heard and Hutton was MOM for us. Tuanzebe offered little going forward which is why Elmo must start Saturday. General opinion is that most want Hepburn Murphy and O’Hare on bench to offer something different. It’s rubbish to say that they were poor against Posh in FA cup so they aren’t ready. From memory nine others were also poor in that game.