Fulham 2 – 0 Villa; It’s not an “end of the world” result.

Truth time it is then and the reality is that I didn’t really expect to win this one.
Yes, I said I was confident on here, but I was telling the lads at work that I’d be very happy with the draw.
I think it stems from the criticism a while back, that the site was overly negative and me not wanting it to seem like that.
That said, my overall confidence is genuine and when we’ve been achieving results, well, you just can’t be negative, can you? There’s also no better time to be optimistic.

Anyway, the point of my admission is to say that I don’t believe this was a bad result.
Apart from the fact that our excellent run had to end sometime, it’s also no disgrace losing to a good Fulham side that have an excellent record at home.

Of course, it wasn’t a good result either, but what’s more important is how we bounce back from it.
In that sense, I think we’ll be ok.

What’s more disconcerting is that the performance was pretty disjointed.
There’s the valid excuse that we missed Grealish and Adomah, but that makes it a bit worrying that the team seems so reliant on them to make us creative.
Then again, losing two of your best players against a team performing very well, will always be a big problem and while Steve Bruce shuffled the team round to try and adapt, so it didn’t really work and he might have to look for another solution.

So what’s the point of this post?
The truth is I don’t really know and I’m just musing on the possibilities.

Much depends on how long both Grealish and Adomah are out, particularly together, as we could probably stand just one of them being out of the side.
Get at least one back in and things will be better.
But as it stands, both are looking doubtful for the Preston game, which will make that one another tough contest.

I’m not offering any thoughts as to what we should do to try to remedy things, as the manager is very much his own man and will do what he wants, regardless of what we think.
And I’ve no reason to doubt him anyway, as we’re still sat in a very decent position, as much as these latest injuries might make things immediately more difficult.

“Twists and turns”, I keep reminding myself.
It’s what makes the Championship such an interesting league.
And frankly, much better than the Prem, I’m finding more and more.

1. Hitchens60 February 21, 2018 at 6:28 pm . Reply

Like Holte, I didn’t see the game but I understand that Snodgrass was ill and contributed little – so we played a game without any of, arguably, our three best attacking players. Add to that Onomah who, frankly, from what I’ve seen is worse than a wet rag and playing Bjarnasson wide and I’m not surprised we were poor.

Bruce is on record as saying Grealish / Adomah unlikely to be fit for Saturday. He has to play Grabben wide left where I understand he’s comfortable playing and bring Bjarnasson back into central defensive mid and move Jedinak back to the bench. With Snodgrass playing wide right and Hogan up front it gives the team more fluidity and balance. I would be tempted to bring Lansbury back in to partner Hourihane and put O’Hare on the bench.

But then what do I know?

1. Bill Pearson February 21, 2018 at 7:14 pm . Reply

Onomah played the full 90 minutes against Preston, but his attitude and work-rate has been questioned by the fans on social media after the game, with many feeling that he could have shown more in the draw.

His display has strengthened many supporters’ belief that Callum O’Hare should be getting a chance in the first-team ahead of the Spurs loanee. The 19-year-old has been in excellent form for the under-23s, and several fans feel that now is the time to give him an opportunity.

Time will tell Hitch, fans have had enough of a player that holding a grudge on being at Villa.

2. Holte 66 February 21, 2018 at 6:30 pm . Reply

Early days yet but Adomah and Grealish doubtful for the weekend. Snodgrass came off feeling unwell so hopefully he will be okay. We need to get back to winning ways against Wednesday so hopefully Bruce will be braver with his selection. If I see Onomah on team sheet then we must assume he is like Messi during training. Whelan will be picked as a pointless substitute again I dare say.

3. Holte 66 February 21, 2018 at 6:35 pm . Reply

Sorry Hitch, I just repeated pretty much what you put. I agree with your thinking and it would be worth trying Lansbury and Bjarnasson in the middle. Definitely would make us more mobile.

4. nath February 21, 2018 at 7:45 pm . Reply

it looked to me that snodgrass took a hit, landed funny or something, because he looked groggy. might have been a shoulder or neck problem. i noticed him struggling a good 10 minutes before he left field

i see some fans wanting murphy to get a run out. its another one i really don’t see happening. two reasons he only just back from a very long lay off. plus hes a striker, hogan is a striker and we play one up front. hogan is grafting his bollocks off, then we have grabban to fall back on. cant see the point of bringing murphy on with no supply line. plus hogan and grabban are both better this minute than murphy. who i also rate highly.

we struggled last two games because we have lost our influential player. no shame in that. all teams would struggle to adapt. when you have such a good player making all the moves. its so hard to step out of the shadows and be a more important player. but thats what has to happen.

jedi was disappointing to me. his passes are never expansive he just sits and pops off the ball sideways. westy used to do the same but he at least ran up and down. jedi stands like he has grown roots. he is hardly inspiring the troops

1. Hitchens60 February 21, 2018 at 10:22 pm . Reply

Nath – according to Bruce Snodgrass was feeling sick and it got worse during the first half so he couldn’t continue – may be it was as a result of the fall you described?

5. nath February 21, 2018 at 8:03 pm . Reply

looks like the poor showing was down to the pitch lol just reading the pitch forced us to go longer yesterday in second half. i am not sure about that i thought preston knocked it around one touch pretty well. they didnt look hindered as we did. us going long also started to affect preston. they were comfy against us first half. first 20 we enjoyed lots of ball but did little. we created 2 or 3 but rest of first half preston dominated. second half we went long and were more affective in breaching pne backline

6. Bill Pearson February 21, 2018 at 9:37 pm . Reply

I read that few hours ago, didn’t say because to me its an excuse , there two teams playing both have the same elements, I’d sooner draw my own conclusion as to what the out come was. That would have been a better outcome if we had the other two players playing. I’m watching the out come onto days game Derby loosing Wolves winning Cardiff winning.

7. Holte 66 February 21, 2018 at 10:00 pm . Reply

The pitch might not be to standard of previous seasons but it still looks decent enough. If it’s a bit bobbly then we should be more used to it than opposition teams. Will be interesting to see how a quality Wolves team cope with it in a few weeks.

8. Bill Pearson February 21, 2018 at 10:06 pm . Reply

All drawn except Cardiff who won.

1. Hitchens60 February 21, 2018 at 10:24 pm . Reply

To me Cardiff and Fulham look the most likely to battle for 2nd – along with us of course!

9. Owen February 21, 2018 at 10:50 pm . Reply

Easily catch Cardiff – 13 games left- on here I’ve read criticism for Bruce for having Whelan, an experienced head for the run in, even if just in the dressing room or off the bench – in the match day squad. Give me strength.