Friendlies, Johnstone on loan and how transfers work

Just as I suspected, the internet over here in Turkey is abysmal and I’ve hardly been able to read the site, let alone get a stream to watch the friendlies, where it seems the club did a good job in getting them out there.

Good words should be spoken about the results too, of course and while I’ve ever seen friendlies as practise, you can only beat what’s put up against you.
So to score seven and concede none is all good.

My thanks go out to all who posted opinions and they were really helpful to me, given that this was about the only source of news I’ve had.
Please feel free to do the same for tonight’s game!

There’s the news that Johnstone has committed. While we knew it was in the bag via Langford’s source, it’s at least one position finally sorted.
I didn’t realise he’s a free agent next season and have to say I’m surprised we haven’t had to pay a fee.
As has been said, if he proves good for us, we would have to favourites to get him on a free.

The last thing I wanted to mention was a good article in the Independent, that explains how transfers work;

I found it interesting, not only because it backs up my point that clubs make next to nothing from big signing shirt sales, but more because it goes some length to explain how clubs can make the books out to suit themselves to a certain extent.
And that’s only scratching the surface, but my point is you can shuffle the figures, as long as everything adds up in the end.
Of course, there’s also good mention about how us fans only look at the headline figures too.

Here’s hoping we beat the Shrews and I actually manage to get this post out there.
As always, Up the Villa!

Page 5 of 6 1 3 4 5 6
  1. VillaAwayInDiv3 July 17, 2017 at 10:56 am . Reply

Prediction……couldnt see most of the matches last season so can only go on results and comments on here etc……saw the Saturday rubbish and felt that nothing has changed – well not for the better – and cant see a magic wand being wafted to change the style of play.
    Forgetting Saturdays play after the subs used all we produced was 2 dire free kicks and one hitting the post……and this against a lower league defence.! true they would have had more desire than ours (why though ) but so will all the ones when we play proper matches…..
    Sorry nothing changed so going for mid table…around 10th…..

If miracles happen and we get a style that combines good defence AND getting in the other box quite often then I will update prediction……

2. Bill Pearson July 17, 2017 at 11:55 am . Reply

Hey, take a look at my Avatar, now that’s a player to be had, he’s having his pick took with my grandson 56 goals for his team and presented with the cup. That other old git is me, the other is none other than Gordon Cowens.

1. Langfordvilla July 17, 2017 at 12:48 pm . Reply

Bill….tried to open your avatar but it didnt work!

UTV

3. Bill Pearson July 17, 2017 at 12:52 pm . Reply

Shame Langford, i had a discussion him and believe me he was bitter over things at Villa. not able to say much on here but boy not a happy crappie.

1. jvillan July 17, 2017 at 12:58 pm . Reply

he should come on here join the not happy clappers group

2. Langfordvilla July 17, 2017 at 1:33 pm . Reply

Bil just seen your pic, courtesy of Giddy. Great photo mate. You must be very proud!

He’s one of our own
      He’s one of our own
      Bill Pearson’s grandson, he’s one if our own

UTV

4. Bill Pearson July 17, 2017 at 12:54 pm . Reply

Crappie? That should have been Chappie. Still make your own mind up on that.

5. jvillan July 17, 2017 at 1:16 pm . Reply

another white hope bites the dust dan crowley released by gunners 3 years after leaving villa to join gunners,how many players come through academys of big clubs ,better having good scouts in lower leagues
    hart stones walker jakelika lescott bale walcott rose all came to premier league from championship and lower

1. Langfordvilla July 17, 2017 at 1:38 pm . Reply

Yep, and if we had signed all of them, you’d still by fecking moaning. You make oohah sound like a stand-up comedian!

UTV

1. jvillan July 17, 2017 at 4:15 pm . Reply

better than someone who thinks he is in the know with my man statements

1. GIDDYVILLAN July 17, 2017 at 4:34 pm . Reply

He’s been spot on everytime so far, so yes I’d read his posts over yours anyday.

2. Hitchens 60 July 17, 2017 at 7:39 pm . Reply

But you think you are better than anyone else anyway

1. Hitchens 60 July 17, 2017 at 7:41 pm .

That was in reply to JV’S post

3. Langfordvilla July 17, 2017 at 7:50 pm . Reply

I’m NOT in the know and have never claimed to be. I’m just relaying messages from someone who has got the last 8 or 9 signings spot on (including JT). Why wouldn’t I trust him? By the way, another in this week which I told you before any of the newspapers got a sniff. I was ridiculed by you by saying ‘JT done and dusted’ 2 weeks before he signed and 2 weeks ahead of all the media! I’ll willingly stop relaying his messages if thats what the owners of the site want!

UTV

1. Bill Pearson July 17, 2017 at 8:02 pm .

I think its time someone put you in your place JVillan, what your doing is posting to get reactions, your now being personal just to get satisfaction on this post. Langford think your big enough to ignore JVillan and do what you’ve done best give this site good information and hope of future times for our club. Think about it JVillan.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:26 am .

Tbf Langford you are always spot on. Just a shame you’ve no decent players to tell us about

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:28 am . Reply

Don’t bring me into it!

1. Langfordvilla July 18, 2017 at 7:39 am . Reply

Lol oohah…I dont scout and buy the players 🙂

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 9:50 pm .

Perhaps you should Langford 😄

6. GIDDYVILLAN July 17, 2017 at 8:18 pm . Reply

Keep it coming Langford loovvving it UTV

7. nath July 17, 2017 at 8:31 pm . Reply

langford has got more predictions right in the last week, than all the negative posters have in their lives. i hear them bitch about players,managers systems owners never once do they offer solutions or players they like or managers they want.

they don’t like the goalie but nobody has mentioned who they would have instead. or managers we have had our fair share recently. not one of the negative posters say who they like they go quiet and bitch soon as the new manager arrives

keep posting the gossip langford 🙂

1. Langfordvilla July 17, 2017 at 8:50 pm . Reply

Nath…as I said above, they are NOT my predictions. I am simply relaying messages mate!
      My man….Whelan likely this week as well!….to save you posting JV, he’s crap as well lol 🙂

UTV

1. nath July 17, 2017 at 8:56 pm . Reply

no worries mate i understand, you mentioned before. its only like going down the pub with your mates. transfer gossip you have said has been accurate, doesn’t matter where you got it from. if you are wrong it doesn’t matter we won’t sue you. i come to hear stuff like that not for the negative stuff i get that from my daily paper

hear i just been reading hull fans talking about Ahmed Elmohamady leaving for 1mill i think jv hull fan undercover. one said he feels sorry for the villa fans having to watch elmonandy play every week

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:23 am . Reply

I think a lot of Hull fans think he’s lazy from what IV read. Just another run of the mill nothing signing I’m afraid

1. nath July 18, 2017 at 6:20 am .

i have seen them messages too. most are glad hes leaving lazy was mentioned a few times.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 9:49 pm .

👍

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:25 am . Reply

Is there anyone decent coming Langford or just the usual dross

1. Langfordvilla July 18, 2017 at 7:54 am . Reply

Who knows who’s dross until they are given a chance?

UTV

8. nath July 17, 2017 at 8:40 pm . Reply

Ahmed Elmohamady looks like hes coming for a million buy out clause. if this is true does this mean one player will be leaving and which player do we think will be leaving. my money is on elphick

because we are said to be very close to breaking this fair play ruling,

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:24 am . Reply

I think Elphnick and Mcormack will go if anyone else is stupid to have them

1. nath July 18, 2017 at 6:18 am . Reply

i think your right, i see sunderland are sniffing around mcormack. their must be a reason why we are unable to sell players quickly. do you think its something to do with their high wages. love to see the back of richards before eplhick.but you never see gossip on richards.

i wonder if anybody knows this, he used to play upfront and plays their in training. maybe why he leaves his position often in games. a mate of mine reckons hes half decent playing striker maybe we should play him there. before i am ridiculed its true

2. Hitchens 60 July 18, 2017 at 7:28 am . Reply

Blues want Elphick apparently – so that probably answers your question Oohah 🙂

9. nath July 17, 2017 at 8:44 pm . Reply

and another thought if we do buy Ahmed Elmohamady then this means 352 formation, this will mean lots of posts for negatives lol we are defensive blar blar but he is decent in that system. it should mean a end to hutton which some will appreciate

10. Adam July 17, 2017 at 9:31 pm . Reply

Personally i feel elmohamady is a bad signing. I dont rate him but im backing bruce to get us up and i will reserve judgment until ive seen him play.

1. nath July 17, 2017 at 9:42 pm . Reply

at least you gave a reason and your not alone just reading comments from hull and villa fans. i think he is better than we have if the system is 352 cause he can cross the ball unlike hutton he does play that system well. but again i say loads are saying what you said

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:21 am . Reply

Sounds like a half decent squad players nothing more nothing less imo. Nothing to get excited about that’s for sure

1. Andrew July 18, 2017 at 2:48 am . Reply

That’s how Bruce builds his squads, is with squad players. No one to really mess it up with egos, those to do the hard and dirty work in a defensive system. Would’ve much rather we went for McGeady who tore it up for Preston, despite being utter crap at Everton. Not the worst replacement for Adomah who hasn’t been all that impressive himself, bar the what, two-three games he was moved more forward next to Kodjia.