Friendlies, Johnstone on loan and how transfers work

Just as I suspected, the internet over here in Turkey is abysmal and I’ve hardly been able to read the site, let alone get a stream to watch the friendlies, where it seems the club did a good job in getting them out there.

Good words should be spoken about the results too, of course and while I’ve ever seen friendlies as practise, you can only beat what’s put up against you.
So to score seven and concede none is all good.

My thanks go out to all who posted opinions and they were really helpful to me, given that this was about the only source of news I’ve had.
Please feel free to do the same for tonight’s game!

There’s the news that Johnstone has committed. While we knew it was in the bag via Langford’s source, it’s at least one position finally sorted.
I didn’t realise he’s a free agent next season and have to say I’m surprised we haven’t had to pay a fee.
As has been said, if he proves good for us, we would have to favourites to get him on a free.

The last thing I wanted to mention was a good article in the Independent, that explains how transfers work;

I found it interesting, not only because it backs up my point that clubs make next to nothing from big signing shirt sales, but more because it goes some length to explain how clubs can make the books out to suit themselves to a certain extent.
And that’s only scratching the surface, but my point is you can shuffle the figures, as long as everything adds up in the end.
Of course, there’s also good mention about how us fans only look at the headline figures too.

Here’s hoping we beat the Shrews and I actually manage to get this post out there.
As always, Up the Villa!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
  1. Langfordvilla July 16, 2017 at 2:55 pm . Reply

My man:….Adomah, bad injury, out for a minimum of 8 weeks! Elmohamady looks like getting done this coming week!

UTV

1. jvillan July 16, 2017 at 3:10 pm . Reply

yippee another dud

2. Hitchens 60 July 17, 2017 at 7:38 pm . Reply

Langford – mail saying 2 weeks with gashed shin and slight strain to knee ligaments Is your info direct from the ‘horses mouth?

2. GIDDYVILLAN July 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm . Reply

UTDuds

3. nath July 16, 2017 at 6:31 pm . Reply

Traoré was the last diamond we bought from across the sea. he wasn’t a player picked from bad stock, he came with real pedigree. i would say green is a good comparison. hes home grown and plays similar position.i would have green in my team everyday of the week before traore.

we sold traore for no profit and it was rumored he was on wages of 70k rising to 90k if anything ruined villa its offering these wages to a nobody like him. green iam guessing is on nowhere near them figures

green is a better prospect and we stand to make a handsome profit when they sell him to spuds for 10million plus. this was the point i was making. we do need to improve the skill levels of our homegrown, because recently they haven’t been successful.but if southampton can produce decent players so can we
    days of us spending our way out of trouble are gone, we need to produce our own like southampton have been doing. if the majority are correct and we miss out on promotion, we could be in real trouble if the dr pulls the plug on finance. wages next season will not be covered by tv parachute. we could just sell players.but selling players isn’t easy amavi veretout Gil all supposed to be decent foreign players but we cant sell them for 1million

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 18, 2017 at 12:31 am . Reply

And there’s the the rub. Any decent players we produce we will sell. Which is why we will always be a nothing club

4. nath July 16, 2017 at 7:00 pm . Reply

odds on villa have drifted to 100/1 to get promoted all down to yesterday result NOT lol there is no change …..why don’t we add a prediction to our names. would be fun to see where everybody thinks we will finish and separate wheat from the chaff. no harm in that having some fun

1. DSVilla July 16, 2017 at 9:09 pm . Reply

6th.

5. Langfordvilla July 16, 2017 at 7:15 pm . Reply

Top…..no doubt about it!

UTV

1. nath July 16, 2017 at 7:30 pm . Reply

so yesterdays result hasn’t altered your thinking. nice to see a man with strong mind who isn’t changing minds dilly dallying. i should have said i think top too now ppl will think iam copying lmao

1. Langfordvilla July 16, 2017 at 9:00 pm . Reply

Your not allowed to be a ‘happy clapper’ on here but no one, and I mean no one can break my spirit or positivity! I cant, and wont live my life being negaitive!

UTV…

6. nath July 16, 2017 at 8:27 pm . Reply

30 years old flop from manchester city going to sevilla. thats a decent price for Nolito left back. what does this say about amavi 23 year old sevilla didn’t want to spend 8 million on him.

7. nath July 16, 2017 at 9:04 pm . Reply

funny reading leeds utd fans responses to elphick links. one leeds fan says he doesn’t wanthim as he struggled at villa with decent players around him.

1. Hitchens 60 July 17, 2017 at 8:25 pm . Reply

Nath Elphick being strongly linked with Blues.

8. originallondonlion July 16, 2017 at 11:58 pm . Reply

It is futile making predictions today. I suggest posters wait until after the first weekend of action and we see what the line-ups are. I can guess 3 teams at the moment I expect will look good: Fulham, Preston and Norwich. The relegated sides have got to show they are not scarred by the relegation, I wouldn’t tip any today. Two other well supported sides will be dangerous if they make a good start – Leeds and Cardiff.

1. nath July 17, 2017 at 6:48 am . Reply

as long as we all show our predictions before the first game. we could see how easy it really is we if we are better or worse than hollyways

9. nath July 17, 2017 at 6:37 am . Reply

we have better coaches at academy levels now in england which in turn helps to produce better HOMEGROWN players.the benefits hopefully shows in this recent upturn of reaching 4 finals is hopefully the evidence that we are producing better technical players. before this summer england youth rarely reach one final let alone 4.

green is only 18 and he is technically sound he doesn’t need bulking up he lacks only experience, he will have a good season and if we are promoted he will be in premiership. if we fail,he will be sold as the kid is better than championship.

davis is another player who is not too far away. he hold the ball up well,very strong and technically sound. a skill lacking with the other forwards in the squad, on kojia hold the ball up but he doesn’t link the play up he is more selfish

10. nath July 17, 2017 at 7:03 am . Reply

i have actually played this sport, not at the top levels in fact i played and represented my school as a winger i am both left and right footed. i could also play in goals which some say i was better at. i also played for my local pub on a cow field. which is another point when i was younger we had 10 to the dozen playing fields. government have sold these off to development so were are the next George Best playing now.

when i played for my pub team on hangovers. you want to try getting technical its impossible, ppl laugh at sunday league game. but its no laughing matter you learn to protect yourself or you get run over. their used to be a tv advert was it peter kay. football players were being technical keeping the ball in the air ,they hit it to kay and he says have it and wacks the ball away at great distance. that is sunday league. get rid of it before somebody takes you out.

while we produce young players with better technical abilities, they need to also be able to survive in the game. english game is changing but it takes time