Footy suspended, so now what?

I know some of you have already started discussing it, but I can’t miss writing this up as a post, because it’s so important.

Corona is making all the headlines and as we all know, it’s led to football in England being suspended for three weeks.
There was obviously no choice but to do this and it’s the right choice, although I don’t believe it goes anywhere near far enough and is mostly a panic reaction, to try and see how things pan out.
The only problem is that from what I’ve read, Corona virus in the UK is predicted to probably peak out in about fourteen weeks. Ie, the middle of June.
I’m not going to be quite as pessimistic as that, as my pure layman’s guess is that this will prove to be very flu-like and start to peter out come late April or early May.

Not that it matters much.
Either way, I don’t believe for one minute that we’ll be able to restart footy in three weeks time.

Which is where I’ve heard a few options.
The first is that the league is frozen as it is and the season is over, meaning the current positions stand.
That quite simply isn’t going to happen, as the bottom three clubs, us included, would just sue the Premier league for loss of revenue.

Then there’s the possibility that we drag the season into the summer and start next season later.
I can’t see that working, given the amount of moaning the managers do about too many games.

And then there’s the option of playing games behind closed doors, which has massive implications for revenue and sponsorship.
While this is probably the most unpopular of those options, it would seem to me that it’s the only way to go and I can’t see what the league were thinking in suspending the league.

Of course, you have the players and staff to consider, but I would have thought you could have had a situation where they would be tested for Corona on say Tuesday and Friday and if found to be negative, they’re ok to play.
But then, what if one of the outfit tests positive? They’re bound to pass it to the others?

Hmm, I’m flummoxed unless any of you have better suggestions.

The more I think about it, the more I think the season should just be abandoned.
I think Germany has considered this and the teams in the current promotion positions get promoted into an extended league above.
But there will surely be litigation all over the place here, with the likes of restriction of trade.

Abandonment would suit us beautifully, but we ain’t that lucky.

I can see football’s dilemma, but without trying to get political, I don’t think the government has helped.
The advice is that you stay two metres away from other people if possible.
Yet they haven’t banned crowds, which just makes the suggestion a joke.

Either the whole country should be in total lockdown and we let business rant and rave about it or we just leave things entirely, so the virus plays out at it’s own pace and we get it over and done with quicker.
But then, our NHS that can’t cope with a normal winter, goes into total meltdown.

Blimey, what a mess.
No wonder I’ve got the feeling that even the Government haven’t got a clue what to do and are absolutely terrified of what might happen.

Bill Pearson March 18, 2020 at 3:01 pm .

I know Hitch, on some sites saying he had die on others he’s still with us.
    All papers that are confused. Nice to know 3 hours ago he’s alive.

Hitchens60 March 19, 2020 at 8:01 am .

On balance, I think the BBC are likely to be the most accurate in this instance – so wishing him a full recovery.

Holte66 March 18, 2020 at 6:11 pm .

Without footy I am struggling for things to do with my spare time. I even found myself talking to the missus the other day. Apparently she has been made redundant from Woolworths!

Hitchens60 March 19, 2020 at 8:02 am .

Nothing wrong with a bit of plagiarism Holte 🙂

Still funny though.

Bill Pearson March 18, 2020 at 7:51 pm .

Holte at least your memory ok, just been told my grandson father had an e-mail to say one of his students been diagnosed with the virus, which means the whole of my family are now quarantine, Hells bells.

Holte66 March 18, 2020 at 9:06 pm .

Bill, it’s crazy times we are in. I hope you and your family are doing well and keeping safe. My mom reminded me that WW2 lasted over 5 years so although lives will be affected and sadly lost, there is hope that in a year or so we will be getting back to normality.
    Also best wishes to everyone else on here. Keep safe!

Roy Bracy March 18, 2020 at 9:55 pm .

Sorry for the false information on Peter witingham death,I live in Wales and it came out here that he had died. But now it seems he’s just in intensive care unit still critical though.
    Bloody news!!!next we will hear that it was only a dream this season football had been cancelled. World gone mad. Once again sorry for false information.utv

badger123 March 18, 2020 at 11:03 pm .

This is exactly why I don’t do Facebook and will not update the site’s link to it.

I wouldn’t do Twitter either, but accept that’s where many of the readers come from, so I have to swallow it.

Roy Bracy March 18, 2020 at 11:13 pm .

Hi Badger I don’t do those either this news was on the local news in Wales so don’t know how they got it so wrong.

Bum Bum March 19, 2020 at 3:08 am .

Peter was reported on several websites! He’ll bloody laugh at this when he comes around.
    Come on Pete, get well soon!!!!!

Roy Bracy March 19, 2020 at 2:21 pm .

Am i dreaming or is this ground hog day or do i have special powers I not know about. But it seems Peter witingham has actually died 😵 I’m confused!!!!!

Bill Pearson March 19, 2020 at 2:47 pm .

Sorry to say Roy its right!I’ve just check and he’s passed away.

A club statement read: “It is with an immeasurable amount of sorrow that we must inform supporters that Peter Whittingham has passed away at the age of 35.

“We are heartbroken.

“The news of Peter’s sudden and untimely passing has shaken us to our very foundation. Our love goes out to his wife Amanda, their young son and family.

“They are at the forefront of our thoughts and, on their behalf, we ask for their privacy to be respected at this unfathomably cruel and difficult time.

“First and foremost, Peter was a family man – and somebody who could light up a room with his sense of humour, warmth and personality. Then, as a professional footballer – as a Bluebird – he excelled with talent, ease, grace and humility. Nobody did it better.

“The loss of Peter will be painfully felt by our city, supporters and indeed all who ever had the pleasure of knowing him. We love you Pete and your memory will eternally stay with us.”

Hitchens60 March 19, 2020 at 3:49 pm .

Yes; very sad indeed when any young person dies, particularly from an accident such as this. Demonstrates how fragile life really is!

Bill Pearson March 19, 2020 at 2:59 pm .

FA have extended the football due to virus it’s now 30th of April. I’m Bored.

Hitchens60 March 19, 2020 at 3:47 pm .

Bill; it seems you’re about to become even more bored if reports are true that all people over 70 will have to self isolate for 4 months. Going to need more mental hospitals to cope with all the old people ‘going round the bend’.

Might also see a spike in divorce rates as well 🙂