Does Benteke Leaving Really Matter-And Should We Keep Bent?

This article is slightly left of centre but really does it matter if Benteke goes?
The reason I say this is that for the past 3 seasons now we have flirted with relegation and the only thing that has saved us is Bent and Bentekes goals or we would be down by now no doubt about it.
So in reality if we take last season all Bentekes goals did was keep us up by the skin of our teeth mainly because the defence was so poor. What a waste of goals IMO. Now lets assume that by some miracle Benteke stayed for another year and lets say he scores 20 odd goals for us then so what!? It’s not like there is so much quality in the other positions that we could take advantage of his goals and finish 4th. Which raises the question that does Lerner now think that because we cannot get 4th from top then 4th from bottom is now the ‘holy grail’ for us. Lets assume Benteke leaves and we replace him with a couple of quality players then the chances are we would still be in the bottom 8 IMO which is where we would probably be if Benteke stayed. On that basis does it really matter?
On another note now that Benteke is as good as gone Should we keep Bent. Fwiw I do like Bent yes he gives us nothing except goals but goals win games and get points on the board. He has still saved us 2 seasons running. Ian Wright and Michael Owen were said to be great strikers but they contributed nothing to the team either but goals!
Just a thought.

Page 1 of 1
  1. John July 11, 2013 at 2:13 am . Reply

As I said to you all the other day stick together and you will be fine. OOh Ahh I thank you for your defense. Me being a spurs supporter and an Australian as well I was dumbfounded and ashamed to be associated with one Bosnich on that day. The man was and still is a moron.

Benteke should not define a team. It’s a team game and no one man is responsible for a teams result. All spurs fans are rejoicing right now at the fact that they might get Benteke. I can tell you I for one hope not. For a couple of reasons which I will state.
    1. Valuation…. He is a very good player and is getting better by the year but he is still an 18 to 20 million pound player.
    2. What he’s done for the last couple of years, who am I kidding, his career outside of the very early years. His longest time at a team has been two years, his last two jaunts have been a year or less. His agent has one agenda and that’s trying to make him one of the highest paid players in the world. Sorry but he isn’t up there with the Messi and Ronaldo’s yet just like bale isn’t. One stellar year doesn’t make a superstar. He also believes his own hype and doesn’t put in an effort all game.

I can’t say your better off without him as he is your player but with his agent all teams will be a stepping stone.

It’s a hard time to deal with now but hang together. Don’t let a bad situation with one player divide the support of a club. Look what happened at Blackburn. Villa is too great a club to go there.

2. Hayks July 11, 2013 at 6:47 am . Reply

Call me cynical, but his agent has one goal, and that’s to make himself a shitload of money by getting in his ear and forcing a move.
    I think we have to keep him no matter what offer comes in, he’ll still be worth the same amount in a year’s time, and we have to send a message to the rest of the squad and anyone who comes to villa in the future that we’re not going to be ruled by the players if they have one good season. We decide whether they leave, not them…..!!!

3. Terry Jones July 11, 2013 at 7:44 am . Reply

Oohah mate a very good piece my son you are dead right it;s no good having to rely on one players goals if the rest of the team are useless shit and leek goals like a fucking cullinder we are never going to score enough goals to win games.and that is a fact as for keeping {Bent} well am a bit in two minds over that but who are you going to bring in whom is a prolific goal scorer and whom would want to come to a team who is never going to move forward either stand still or go backwards.Oh by the way have a bone to pick with you and Annon have noticed now we have a new site it seems only articales written by the site owners seem to be getting posted why is this.

4. Foxy July 11, 2013 at 9:14 am . Reply

I mentioned Bent the other day. He’s going to cost us about £8million (I think!) in wages over the next two years plus anything we might have to pay Sunderland but he might not be particularly motivated after not being played and then dumped in the reserves. For the amount of money we’d get for him, and the uncertainty of the ability of the striker we’ve signed (we just don’t know what he’ll be like in the PL) I would be inclined to keep him. On the other hand he’s on a lot of wages, which we want off the books, plus we have Gabby on form (I really hope he doesn’t get injured again in the autumn) and Andi coming on strong. On top of which Bent doesn’t do much but shoot at goal. I just can’t see him fitting into Lambert’s plans, and can you imagine Lambert apologising to Bent, saying how he got it wrong with Benteke and how he promises not to do it again?

5. Naughtius Maximus July 11, 2013 at 1:15 pm . Reply

I cant see us keeping bent, like ooah I believe bent is a good player and goal scorer, its record speaks for itself but for some reason lambert don’t want him and after the way he was treated last season I couldn’t see him wanting to put in a good shift for lambert and villa and I couldn’t blame him.
    as for the team no we’re not going to be challenging for top 4 this season, its going to take a few seasons before we can consistanly challenge top 10, the lambert project is a long game not a quick fix.
    I have to agree with our spurs visitor john, one man does not a team make and remember benteke only really kicked on when the team as a whole were playing well from feb onwards, I didn’t see any game changing performances in the dark days of December/jan when we were being well beaten by Chelsea, spurs, even wigan and Bradford. Bentekes form came with the teams form not him alone.

1. Jaymo83 July 11, 2013 at 2:24 pm . Reply

Good point regarding the timing of Benteke’s form Naughtius, hadn’t really thought about it like that.

6. Rotterdam82 July 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm . Reply

Very true mate!

1. Terry Jones July 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm . Reply

Mate without either of them we will go down there is no way Lambert is going to be able to replace them before start of season unless he breaks the bank to do so.Therefore first three games 8-0 8-0 8-0.Lambert egoistic fool whom is bent on ruining our club just to try and prove a point.

1. Foxy July 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm . Reply

And what’s worse Terry is as we go down the blues will be promoted. Have you seen they’re second in the Championship at the moment? That’s automatic promotion, especially as they’ve just won their first two friendlies.

1. Terry Jones July 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm . Reply

FOXY we go down and the noses come up now that would be bloody treason.

7. MarkDraperNumber8 July 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm . Reply

I haven’t been able to post for a while for reasons unknown but I’m glad I can again now, I’ve been reading so much dross it astonishing.The negativity from some people here is quite amazing to read to be honest. As well as completely unjustified.

Nobody quite knows what will happen next season so all this speculation of getting relegated or finishing 2nd behind worldbeaters Tottenham Hotspur is ridiculous. How can we possibly know?
    If you’re basing these decisions on pre-season results with 2nd to 5th tier German outfits then you couldn’t be more off the mark with your predictons. It nonsense to even have a prediciton at this stage.

I’ve been trying to post that I’m in a agreement (save this because it’s a rarity lol) with oohah on a lot of points he’s recently been making. I agree that we shouldn’t be breaking the bank but we are missing just one (IMO) or maybe 2 more established household names. Regardless of experience acquired, having a “name” in the team always helps, someone who is known for doing well at this level. That I fully agree with.

As for someone with bags of PL experience who will cost us 10-15mil is all swings and roundabouts, you take a risk with anyone and everyone you buy. A solid point being that we could buy Messi and he might play shit for us re’ system, different league, finding his feet and being able to gel. You can’t say otherwise it’s the truth.

From the pre-season match reports it seems at the moment we are way of the required fitness levels. Lambert will definitely address this. We have some good tests coming up on home soil which will be much better challenge for the new lads finding their feet. But again, this won’t have any indication on our form for next season. All managers tell the team in pre-season not to play too hard to save risk of injury, that’s no different for us.

And no we should not keep Bent, that would be a horrible decision and show Lambert to be contradictory.

UTV

8. JD VILLA July 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm . Reply

Darren Bent is past his best and will not score the goals we need hence him leaving.We will replace Benteke with another quality young strong forward..Ive heard Luc Costaignos is a target Hes a cracking young player so Benteke can fly away as far as I’m concerned.Get the dish splash the cash…Henlenius has just scored 2 in three lets wait n see eh before we condemn…UTV

1. adam2231 July 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm . Reply

Castaignos seems ok, I’d prefer to sign the Iceland player, Finnbosam or something along those lines. I presume that Lambert was hoping that Benteke would leave next season, that way Helenius could’ve learned from Benteke. Shame, anyway, Helenius looks a good player and I’m very excited. But we need another forward if Benteke leaves, I just think it would be too much pressure for the young Dane. Bowery also needs to step up, hasn’t scored at all, even in pre-season. But Lambert does believe in him so we shall see.

1. Terry Jones July 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm . Reply

ADAM sorry to say don;t think will see the Belgium mercenary in a Villa shirt again as Lambert won;t play him because of the distruption he may course so need some one in quick as Helenius & Bowery are no where near Premiership standard.

1. adam2231 July 15, 2013 at 8:10 pm . Reply

Yeah I think Lambert does need to bring in a striker. I’d prefer someone with Premier League experience, I’d really like to have Lukaku on loan. He’d be perfect, but it’s just not going to happen.

1. Terry Jones July 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm .

Mate don;t go a lot on loan players can be recalled at any time so no thanks.

9. Bencey83 July 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm . Reply

Benteke must be the best striker we’ve had since Dwight Yorke. Discuss…

1. adam2231 July 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm . Reply

Difficult to say, I think Yorke was brilliant. I can’t say that Benteke is better, if he stayed for one more season, you could make a case. But no after one season