Derby – Villa; not at all confident about this one

If you’ve read my replies in previous posts recently, you might have seen that I was invited to attend this game with a Derby workmate.
I’d have had to sit in the Derby seats, but that would have been ok, as the last time I did the same, we beat Derby in their first home defeat at Pride park. Some of you might remember that Dwight Yorke got the 1-0 winner with a penalty, after he might possibly have been sent off.
I can’t say I remember the possible sending-off, but it’s wrankled with the Derby fan, even after all this time and it still makes me chuckle when he reminds me of it. Heh heh.

The invite still applied as of today and I quite fancied it, but have had to decline.
After having been beaten by the snow on Sunday, I also had to take yesterday off work for personal reasons.
Hence my stupidly old-fashioned work ethic tells me that I’ve taken too much time off work already this week, and I’d be taking the proverbial.

There’s also an ulterior motive to be honest, as I don’t see us getting anything at all from this game and the overdue return banter from the Derby fan would probably be more than I could bear straight after the finish.

So what do we know?

On Derby’s part, Gary Rowett has confirmed that Tom Lawrence is out after suffering ankle ligament damage, yet he might be back in a week’s time.
Eh? What does that mean in English then? A bit of a bruise?
Whatever, that’s it and apart from that, they have a full squad to choose from.
Lucky them, I say.

As for us, we all know the score and it seems we have half the squad out at the moment.
The good news is that Mile jedinak might be available and I’d expect him to start, if it’s at all possible.
Hogan’s probably available too.

Oh and Gabby is also close. Hmm.

I’d expect Hogan to start, purely just to take some of the pressure off Young Davis, even though I’m not convinced it’s a good idea. It makes sense that you want someone who can play off the big kid, but is anyone convinced that Hogan is the man to get us goals? I’m afraid I just don’t see it, especially against a very decent Derby side that are going to put us under serious pressure.

Given that I see us under that pressure, there’s a good chance that Steve Bruce will play ultra cautious in playing Jedinak alongside Whelan, which would probably mean we go one up top and try not to concede.
Two hopes, but there you go, in my opinion.

I’m afraid I can’t see anything beyond a defeat and I’m going for a 0-2.

Of course, I live in hope and I’d love to be proved totally wrong.
Even if it’s only so I don’t get bantered to death for the next couple of weeks.

UTV

1. Bill Pearson December 15, 2017 at 9:27 pm . Reply

Last time I was at Derby was when our Paul McGrath played, in fact after the match in the players lounge I met his son, God he does look like him , we lost 2-1, i almost got into a punch up because I was in the home side seat and when we scored I stud up and cheered, needless to say the daggers and looks I got got me ratty.anyway I’m going for a draw, 1-1 , that would do for me.

2. originallondonlion December 15, 2017 at 10:13 pm . Reply

If we are going to stay in the play-off places, and if there is any point to it, then we need to start beating the other sides who will be up there. Derby would be a good place to start. If the defence is lacking first choice players then the best way to protect them is to play an attacking side and go for it.

3. Adam December 16, 2017 at 11:27 am . Reply

We need to be bold and brave.. weve got the quality just hold the ball well and attack at pace..leave 2 up top all the time so their defenders have something to worry about unlike thrle 1st half of Leeds game.

4. nath December 16, 2017 at 12:45 pm . Reply

i really hope we get hammered 6 nil at derby, this will end the bruce nightmare. allow the real fans to get behind the club again, when we sack bruce and hire what ever manager they decide this week. play brilliant football and get promoted. this isn’t sarcasm i think fans are correct. we are shit and whether bruce gets us promoted,it’s irreverent we would only be shit in premiership. sack bruce and hope we dont finish in top two and playoffs. that way they sack bruce quicker. nobody would moan then i guess.

how funny it was watching wednesday fans booing their manager. his team played brilliant at vp and again last night played very good. wolves rode their luck and had again another referee which helped them. was a really good game and wolves just won. but reaction by wednesday fans tells me they are clueless. don’t know a good thing until they get another manager and play punt football and finish midtable

5. B6 December 16, 2017 at 2:13 pm . Reply

Onomah starting? Un-fucking-believable!!!

6. nath December 16, 2017 at 2:17 pm . Reply

must be written in his contract. spuds manager only cares about him progressing not about the villa results. thing with onomah is he in not productive in creating chances or scoring goals and he doesn’t get close to davis so end result we cant progress in the opposition half. he does look to have the ability to play the role but not this season

7. nath December 16, 2017 at 2:20 pm . Reply

wow no davis and no real centre forwards. they cant play the normal long ball. more expert fans hate. grealish and onomah will have to work together and in tandem.

8. nath December 16, 2017 at 2:26 pm . Reply

or it could be onomah on the left and adomah up front with grealish just behind supporting him. this would be how i would set up. i liked onomah on the left against millwall he linked up well with grealish