Derby 0 – 3 Villa; Fantastic result and a confidence boost.

Well, I’m truly happy to say I called this one totally wrong.
I didn’t get to the game and only got to listen to the WM commentary for the final half hour or so.

We were missing chance after chance and it seemed like it wasn’t going to be our day, as I could see Derby catching us with a sucker punch.
It wasn’t to be though and it was great to hear that McGinn had scored. Imagine my joy when the goal was soon followed by a second and then a third!
And then, to cap it all, the WM commentators were saying that this was easily our best performance this season and even our best performance in a very long time.

On the face of it, it would seem that Dean Smith can indeed get the team to produce top performances that have previously been so lacking, as much as the players look good on paper.
What excites me about that and has me licking my lips in anticipation, is if he can get us to play to the max, there’s probably more to come.
And given that we could possibly have beaten a side that were being touted as one to watch this season by six or seven goals on their own turf, that bodes really well. You would expect that this result has made the rest of the league sit up and take notice.

After the final whistle, I spoke to my Derby mate (who had called me pre-match, to wish us the best of luck for the rest of the season, “after we’ve annihilated you”).
His opinion was that the first half could have been 2-2, but in the second half they were sh*te and we played really well, fully deserving the result. He’s quite balanced when it comes to footy.

Then, I specifically asked what he thought about Grealish and the reply was interesting.
His opinion is that he’s a decent player, but goes down way too easily.
I pointed out that he gets us a lot of free kicks, but unprompted, he said “maybe, but he slows down your game far too much and ruins your impetus”. He went on to say that all our best play happened when he wasn’t actually involved and he’d probably be more suited to the Premier league.
It’s certainly a valid viewpoint and one I touched on last week, where some Villa fans would be sympathetic.

Not that I’m criticising.
How can you, after such a brilliant result?

Best of all though, is that this is a massive confidence booster, not long before the blues game, where up until now, I’d been having nagging doubts that we’d win against them.
The bonus is that we’ve moved above them in the league on goal difference.

Three goals away, to a team on a roll, with a clean sheet thrown in, has made my weekend.
It’s as simple as that.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    1. DSVilla November 14, 2018 at 8:42 pm .

i managed 45 but a handful were guesses. Good fun though.

2. Big Fat Ron November 14, 2018 at 10:38 pm .

48 with 2 silly mistakes! Grrrr

3. Bum Bum November 17, 2018 at 8:40 am .

Er… The answers are just above the images!!! Lol!!!!

1. badger123 November 14, 2018 at 9:20 pm .

Loads of mine were guesses!
    45 is a decent score, i’d say.

2. Originallondonlion November 14, 2018 at 9:31 pm .

47/50. Did not get USA!, Colombia, PSV. (wasn’t a light bulb or the Philips logo).

3. Hitchens60 November 14, 2018 at 9:46 pm .

Decided not to do the quiz as I didn’t want to show my ignorance following such high scores LOL.

Now back to the most important matter in hand here – the rum

4. Hitchens60 November 15, 2018 at 10:55 am .

McGinn injured in training with Scotland squad – let’s hope it’s not serious as we need him against the Blues.

5. Pat 57 November 15, 2018 at 5:02 pm .

47/50 A fun few minutes!

6. badger123 November 15, 2018 at 5:44 pm .

Blimey, we’ve got some knowledgeable world footie fans on here.
    My 38 looks a bit sick now 🙂

7. badger123 November 15, 2018 at 5:57 pm .

I’ve just been thinking about FFP and how Christian Purslow says it won’t be a problem.
    I find it fascinating when he says that while analysis shows we’re on circa £50 million.
    It would seem to back up my opinion that you can make the books look however you want, as long as things add up in the end.
    We must have bloody good accountants, I reckon.

It’s also good news that we’re definitely not flogging the stadium name.
    I’d have gone with it, if it literally meant it was the only way the club could survive, but I’d have been truly gutted.

8. badger123 November 15, 2018 at 7:05 pm .

All Premier league clubs asked to cough up £250,000 as Scudamore’s leaving present;

Just another indicator of what’s wrong in the game, imo.
    What annoys me is, they’ll probably do it too.
    £5 mill as a bloody leaving present!

Scandalous.

1. Pat 57 November 15, 2018 at 9:01 pm .

Badger,
      It’s my guess that they will too. Scudamore has made many of the clubs rich through all the TV deals and, to them. £5 million is small change these days.

Bit better than a clock I suppose.

1. badger123 November 15, 2018 at 10:16 pm .

Apparently, he was on £50k a week.
        Show me another job where you get 2 years wages as a leaving gift?

Yes, he’s probably done a great job, if bringing in the dough, while killing the game for the working man was the aim, but that’s what he was paid stupid money for.
        It’s a bloody disgrace.
        If I told you that he has a £15 million pension pot, would that make any difference?

The really galling thing is he’ll probably take it too, when grass roots footy is dying on it’s arse.
        Sorry Pat, but you can’t defend this, imo.
        By all means reward success, but this is just pure excess.

1. Pat 57 November 15, 2018 at 11:22 pm .

I wasn’t supporting it and I agree that it’s excessive. Money is killing football at the moment, just saying that I’m far from surprised that’s all.

1. badger123 November 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm .

Sorry, Pat, I thought you were defending it.