Delph to be offered a decent contract; Good news

Fabian Delph

I know this one is a good few hours old now, but I wanted to bring it up as we’re often accused of being overly negative and this, to me anyway, is a good news story.

There are various links to the story, but we’re supposedly going to be offering him a “bumper” contract.
The Daily Star mentions £50,000 a week, which is brilliant for the likes of us people in the real world, but for an England player, is frankly peanuts.
But I won’t dwell on that, as the numbers don’t matter that much to me and the reason for that is because I think he’ll sign for us whatever happens, unless some completely blows us out of the water with a massive offer. Officially he can’t talk to anyone until January anyway, but I think we’ll have it wrapped up well before then.

This is what makes it a good news story for me, because he’s said that he thinks he owes us as a club, for the way we backed him through two serious injuries. Of course players have been known to say things like this before and it’s proven to be rubbish (Stewart Downing springs to mind), but in this case, I genuinely believe Delph will stick to what he’s said.
Delph has always struck me as a down-to-earth type of kid. Indeed, I see the Yorkshire post has an article quoting him as saying “all I ever wanted was to buy my mom a house”. Good lad.
These are the type of comments I’d rather hear, as opposed to some new transfer arrival professing the fact that he’s always liked whatever club he’s just signed for.

So there you go. I know Delph has his detractors, but I’ve always liked him.
He’s a good player, just not England type of good yet in my opinion (but then, who is, these days?).
But I think he’ll be staying a good while and that’s simply good news.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. McgrathPaulOohah
    McgrathPaulOohah September 10, 2014 at 8:48 pm .

The club a joke ffs. Gabby doesnt deserve a new contract hes shit Lamberk should of given him away but no one wanted him. I watched the club in the 50s and if he was around then he’d of been shown the door. This Fox bloke is another Faulkener. Clubs a joke ffs

2. DSVilla
    DSVilla September 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm .

I think the criticism of Gabby is a bit harsh. He isn’t a top striker, but he has delivered for Villa on many occasions. He has his limits but he has made it to England caps. He has been a first choice for a number of Villa managers so let’s not be too critical.

We could replace every player in the squad with better players but we have what we have. Having said that I would like to see Lambert change our front 3 and give us a different look. The blame’s not with Agbonlahor being picked, but with successive managers who use him in roles he’s not equipped to deliver, or replacing him with better.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 9:31 pm .

Agree I’m no great fan of gabby but when he cleared agent ridgewells header of the line then popped up a few minutes later to score the winner v the scum that gives him legend status in my book!

1. DSVilla
        DSVilla September 10, 2014 at 9:46 pm .

yep me too

2. Ardent Villain
        Ardent Villain September 10, 2014 at 9:50 pm .

Nothing personal against Agbonlahor – he’s an Erdington lad, even believe that he went to same school as myself [generations apart!] and a Villa fan.

But the reason why I’m always amazed by how he’s managed to play under so many different managers at VP is really summed up by the quote from the BBC website “over 60 goals in 276 appearances…'”

He’s supposed to be a striker – and that scoring rate isn’t good enough, even though I presume it includes cup goals in games against lower league teams.

3. Adam
    Adam September 10, 2014 at 10:26 pm .

Isn’t he our highest ever goalscorer in the prem with like 50 goals lol that’s pretty tragic!

1. Adam
      Adam September 10, 2014 at 10:27 pm .

Considering he’s had like 8 seasons!

4. OriginalLondonLion
    OriginalLondonLion September 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm .

I really wonder about Agbonlahor. He still is one of the fastest sprinters in the EPL. What seems to be proven is that Gabby is not very adaptable to playing with other strikers. But then he has had to play with some of the least adaptable partners at Villa.

Two players I think he would have jelled with are Crouch and Defoe. Crouch because he signals where he is going to lay the ball off, and he pulls wide of the box so his knock-down leaves his partner with a central collect, then either side of the keeper to aim at. Defoe because he was almost as fast and would be sure to be up there to receive on any break-out.

Unfortunately Gabby has had to play with Young and Downing neither of whom could cross a ball accurately and most of the time they cut inside to have a pop themselves; with Heskey who distributed the ball like a buffer on a pin-ball table; with Weimann who lashes at every chance; and with Benteke who never lays a ball off to Gabby which might lead to a simple conversion.

I think Gabby is a bit like Torres – left stranded by totally unsuitable systems and personnel.

1. Ardent Villain
      Ardent Villain September 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm .

OLL – I can’t disagree with your detailed analysis at all; but there’s just something about Gabby whenever I’ve watched him that seems to signal that he’s not a ‘natural’ in terms of anything to do with being a striker.

He runs, yes, fast even now; challenges strongly. But at the end of it 9 times out of 10 he simply fluffs it in front of goal – he always looks afraid of goalkeepers.

Better than Heskey [at least in a Villa shirt] and by the looks of it still better than the current version of Bent, but I find him really frustrating to watch.

1. OriginalLondonLion
        OriginalLondonLion September 11, 2014 at 10:13 am .

I agree with you also. Gabby does not relish the 1 on 1 with the keeper. Players who do can delay until the keeper commits one way then they go the other. Gabby decides first and allows the keeper to go the right way.

2. BWS
      BWS September 11, 2014 at 2:31 pm .

Spot on OLL, some site or other (or it might have been here) put a post up a few weeks ago entitled something along the lines of ‘Is Gabby holding Villa Back?’ Now turning that on its head it could be argued – Have Villa held Gabby back?
      Take a look at the MON years and his goals steadily increased season upon season, then the circus came to town and his game suffered as a result,.
      Paying in any half decent side the lad would piss double figures season in season out.

1. BWS
        BWS September 11, 2014 at 2:31 pm .

*Playing*

5. Adam
    Adam September 11, 2014 at 9:15 am .

If Gabby had a brain, a first touch and composure he would have been class! Sadly he lacks these and thus is just an average footballer. Saying that I still think he’s a legend in his own way!

6. nath
    nath September 11, 2014 at 12:09 pm .

very very unfair criticism, gabby is a proven striker at the top lvl of the game. hes been playing out of position for the team, always gives his all in the big games, he does produce like other strikers he has his bad patches. the guys villa through and through, these sorts of comments are disgraceful and unfounded. the guy sweats blood for the team and has played through injury for us.

7. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 11, 2014 at 2:09 pm .

Sorry Nath don’t share your assumption of Abonglahor prowess, 🙂 yes loyal to the club give you that 100% but attitude to the game no, you say out of position, well think about it the only thing going for him is pace, now having pace where would you like to play? Through the centre or wing?– in his case not able to play a ball in a one to one ,he can only run on to a ball, that limits his abilities he has to bank on runs at goal does he score ? Missis more only 66 goals in 200+ games, don’t get me wrong he has had to do what going on the day not having player with him, the best of a bad lot.

1. nath
      nath September 11, 2014 at 4:36 pm .

gabby abonglahor shouldn’t be totally judged on goals scored. assisting and chances created must also come into the consideration, more lately last three seasons hes hardly played down the center. if he played down the center he would score around 10 plus, he plays were the manager asks him, he does without pulling teddies arms off. hes a team player. u could compare him with weimann who himself had a bad last season but again this is unfair as weimann is like gabby doing lots of work, chasing down the opposition fullbacks as we don’t play with wingers these 2 are asked to track back.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
        OohAhPaulMcGrath September 11, 2014 at 6:32 pm .

The big problem with Gabby is he hasn’t got a brain either in or out if football. I know that sounds harsh but he is one of those players that needs a manager to say just ‘all I want you to do today is this this and this and don’t worry about anything else’. I must admit when I was a player and played out of position my manager said all I want is this don’t worry about anything else the rest of the team will worry for you. For me that was great I knew what to do and how to do it and stopped me getting confused.

8. Hitchens 60
    Hitchens 60 September 11, 2014 at 4:28 pm .

Off topic but it appears Hull have been up for sale for a while now. I also read that Mike Ashley was (again) actively looking for a buyer, so with Villa and Everton (allegedly) that’s at least 4 EPL clubs on the market. Methinks Randy’s going to be around for some time yet which, just maybe, he’s come to realise and we might see more investment in the club……..ah well maybe not!!!

1. Ardent Villain
      Ardent Villain September 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm .

And if the Mirror is to be believed, Spuds are available for £1Billion…

1. Hitchens 60
        Hitchens 60 September 11, 2014 at 10:27 pm .

Not likely to be a queue then 🙂

2. Lamberk
      Lamberk September 11, 2014 at 8:16 pm .

Just a quick reminder that Lerner has invested less money this summer than any of the previous one’s.

1. Hitchens 60
        Hitchens 60 September 11, 2014 at 10:23 pm .

Agreed but if media is to be believed he had sanctioned a further £7.5m to buy Cleverley

9. Hitchens 60
    Hitchens 60 September 11, 2014 at 4:34 pm .

Without wishing to be disloyal to this blog there is a very good piece on Vital Football about Jack Grealish which is worth a read.

1. Bill Pearson
      Bill Pearson September 11, 2014 at 5:00 pm .

Good read Hitchen 60, nice to see such loyalty from a young player, as for Keane hope he doesn’t come the hard man to young hopefuls, Nath we just have to disagree on this one till I’m proved wrong.:-)

1. Hitchens 60
        Hitchens 60 September 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm .

Bill; I got the impression that he is a well grounded young man. Let’s hope Villa don’t screw up by offering him unrealistic terms as he clearly wants to sign a new contract.

10. Saddened
    Saddened September 12, 2014 at 10:59 am .

I have just been told the reason Faulkner was lobbed and Mr Fox was brought in was purely to make the club a more attractive proposition to prospective purchasers and he is in for a mighty % when we are sold!