Delph to be offered a decent contract; Good news

Fabian Delph

I know this one is a good few hours old now, but I wanted to bring it up as we’re often accused of being overly negative and this, to me anyway, is a good news story.

There are various links to the story, but we’re supposedly going to be offering him a “bumper” contract.
The Daily Star mentions £50,000 a week, which is brilliant for the likes of us people in the real world, but for an England player, is frankly peanuts.
But I won’t dwell on that, as the numbers don’t matter that much to me and the reason for that is because I think he’ll sign for us whatever happens, unless some completely blows us out of the water with a massive offer. Officially he can’t talk to anyone until January anyway, but I think we’ll have it wrapped up well before then.

This is what makes it a good news story for me, because he’s said that he thinks he owes us as a club, for the way we backed him through two serious injuries. Of course players have been known to say things like this before and it’s proven to be rubbish (Stewart Downing springs to mind), but in this case, I genuinely believe Delph will stick to what he’s said.
Delph has always struck me as a down-to-earth type of kid. Indeed, I see the Yorkshire post has an article quoting him as saying “all I ever wanted was to buy my mom a house”. Good lad.
These are the type of comments I’d rather hear, as opposed to some new transfer arrival professing the fact that he’s always liked whatever club he’s just signed for.

So there you go. I know Delph has his detractors, but I’ve always liked him.
He’s a good player, just not England type of good yet in my opinion (but then, who is, these days?).
But I think he’ll be staying a good while and that’s simply good news.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
  1. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN September 10, 2014 at 9:41 am .

Hope he signs it but as we know contracts mean diddly fuck nowadays players do leave at anytime unless the club stand firm & piss the player off.

2. Bencey83
    Bencey83 September 10, 2014 at 10:59 am .

One thing I will say about Lambert is that he has been good at holding on to players so far.

3. nath
    nath September 10, 2014 at 11:20 am .

wow we av a new post 🙂

first i like 2 say rooney has some cheek, delph sure needs 2 curve his aggression alittle without taking away from his game. delph knows this himself long before rooney had a idea, i thought delph was awesome in his drive upfield with ball. he showed for the ball, he was around the england best moves and should av won a clear penalty. if rooney took some of delphs game and affected the game more wot a player rooney would be

delph and vlaar should get offered 50k contract in my opinion (sorry oohahah) both are proven world class and have to be rewarded for their efforts and loyalty, grealish should be happy with his involvement in the 1st team and concentrate on this side, hes earning a fair wage at minute and improving the way he is. the money will come for sure

p,s cant wait for the pool game i do believe pool are in for a tough game vtid

1. Bill Pearson
      Bill Pearson September 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm .

Nath did Rooney say that?
      , if he did tell him to get f;:,t”d the reason England struggle is him, mark my words drop him and Wiltshere the team would improve, yes your right Delf did what he’s known for hard tackles that alone makes players nervous, said last season he will get sent off or booked more than most players that’s his game, but England did move more forward than England’s games we have played, to me Rooney is like Abonglahor at the moment for Villa lackluster and no effort to England.

1. nath
        nath September 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm .

i just red a few articles bill 🙂 but the thing which comes across is it seems the ref asked rooney 2 av a quiet word with delph at h/t. being he was the captain. but i find it strange rooney should find the need 2 disclose this. especially when rooney himself has been less than disciplined. can u remember him getting red card against portugal or when he was heard slagging england fans off for booing a crap performance. i think rooney isnt captain material full stop

2. nath
        nath September 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm .

ur totally rite about wiltshere hes over rated, where delph wasn’t afraid to play his game wiltshere either hasn’t got a game, or just can’t produce the goods and for a player who sits protecting the back line hes definitely hasn’t got the game 2 do this job. hes not got the positioning play or tackle or statue. milner can do this position but i feel hes better further foward maybe barry should return he can play this role far better than wiltshere

4. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 10, 2014 at 1:19 pm .

Nath it sticks out a mile to me .about Wiltshere, and Rooney he only has to receive a ball and the commentators go ape shit saying ROONEY got the ball Rooney did .this, he does shit all, he needs the bench for me to much emphasis on what he’s done in the past. Delf to me is a breath of fresh air for change in England’s camp.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm .

What about when Rooney scores and commentator at ITV should Rooney in a fake throaty voice makes me want to vomit tbh

5. OriginalLondonLion
    OriginalLondonLion September 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm .

Strange that there is a collective blindness about Wilshere in the minds of serious football writers. They must be right of course and we armchair analysts all wrong LOL. In fact Wilshire is where Delph was 18 months ago. He does not yet play within his own limits.

Players can fall short against international quality opponents, maybe they are not that fast, that tricky, that strong in the tackle – and things they get away with often against lesser opposition they cannot do against the best. Wilshere shows too much of the ball to opponents intending to draw the tackle, and either evade it or more often block his way through it to come out still with the ball. He get caught out and dispossessed too often.

What pleases me about Delph is he has become more like Paul Scholes, and that includes the same poor timing of a tackle as the only negative. Delph now gets rid of the ball before he is trapped in possession, and his passing when he has more time is excellent. He was really impressive against Switzerland. I never thought I would write that.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 9:26 pm .

If Wiltshire didn’t play for a trendy London club he would be lucky to get on the bench

1. MinneVillan
        MinneVillan September 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm .

I’ve said it many times before. Wilshere is all huff and puff. He plays a lot like Gabby, to a fault. And when he loses possession, he pouts rather than trying to get the ball back.

6. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 10, 2014 at 5:49 pm .

Originallondonlion thought at one stage I might have been too harsh with what I was seeing in the England side when we had Wiltshere and that other finger from Arsenal both on the pitch at the same time, it was like playing Lampard and Gerrard again knowing it wasn’t working, it improved with them when Barry arrived, I think Delf will gain tremendous experience given the opportunity and not ruined by the likes of Rooney, he’s never a captain in my book, anyway captains are better behind the front forwards.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm .

I’d rather have captain Birdseye than Captain overrated media favourite Rooney

7. Hitchens 60
    Hitchens 60 September 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm .

I see that Agbonlahor has signed a new 4 year deal. I know there is mixed views about his contribution / ability but at a time of little loyalty in football you can’t knock him for that

8. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN September 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm .

What about the loyalty of the VILLA fans paying to watch him???the reason he’s been at the VILLA for so long is basically no one else wants him.

9. Dave67
    Dave67 September 10, 2014 at 7:08 pm .

Gabby new contract, WHY

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm .

What do you mean Why? It’s obvious he’s shit like the rest of the team so why wouldn’t we sign him!

10. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm .

He’s only got pace not skill, I’ll give him 10 out of 10 for loyalty, as Giddy saying he owes the fans.

1. Saddened
      Saddened September 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm .

Gabby says he owes the fans, what a load of tosh….. Start putting the ball in the back of the net then, rather than running around like roadrunner…. beep beep !
      Good to see Fox is starting to get things sorted though, these new contract would have taken fatty Faulkner months to sort out !

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 9:29 pm .

I still think gabby is a good player for away games but at home he’s useless. Though that’s a lot to do with how we are set up at home

1. DSVilla
        DSVilla September 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm .

Fair point. It’s also a symptom of how other teams come to VP looking to sit back so that they don’t get caught out with the pace of our counter attack. I think that is why we sometimes beat top 6 teams but struggle against lower teams. Villa’s problem is that they struggle to set up and perform against a defensive opposition.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2014 at 9:45 pm .

Agree DS like you say the sky four teams okay straight into our hands so easy to use gabby and his pace on counter. The other teams that visit VP sit behind the ball and we havnt a clue how to break teams down

2. nath
          nath September 11, 2014 at 11:56 am .

ds totally hit the nail on its head ~ thats exactly why villa do better against the so called big teams and why the management av been looking for the player who can open up defenses, this year we av more about us. look at nzog and grealish oh and maybe cole and cleverly. against pool its game plan A as normal sit deeper deny pool space behind and hit on break. we will need some luck but if midfield and defense work together then pool will get more risky and then weimann and gabby will get loads of room in the last third with space to run into 🙂