Delph is staying; A Legend in the making, agree? (POLL)

Fab

Well, this is a turn up for the books isn’t it?

Fabian Delph has come out with a totally unequivocal statement that says he’s staying. Here are the actual words that have come from the horse’s mouth, as reported on the OS;

“I’m aware there has been intense media speculation surrounding my future in the last 24 hours and I want to set the record straight.
“I’m not leaving. I’m staying at the football club and I can’t wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club.”

This is fantastic news, in my opinion, as I’ve always liked the player and think he would be a major loss to the team.
That said though, it’s all quite embarrassing, as without re-reading my previous replies on here, I’m not 100% convinced about if I slated the man or not.
After all, all the papers were reporting things as though it was absolutely a done deal, with some suggesting that the only barrier to the player actually signing, was the medical.
And well, when so many papers get on the bandwagon, it’s difficult to argue and it’s easier to accept it as fact isn’t it?
In my defence, I did think the idea of Delph going to Man City was a bit preposterous, especially at the £8 or 10 million that was mentioned.

Ah, I remember what I previously said.
It was that Gueye was obviously a replacement for Delph. That’s obviously been proven incorrect and I’m happy to say that I was wrong. It was a criticism more aimed at the club than the player though and yet again AVFC haven’t come out in a good light in my opinion.

While behind the scenes, the club might have been laughing their proverbials off, knowing the story wasn’t true and with me understanding that they won’t resort to answering every little bit of rumour, I think they should have nipped this rumour in the bud much, much faster than they did.
I mean, it wasn’t as though we were talking about a player we didn’t rate, hence him being insignificant, was it?
This was the club captain, who had pledged his loyalty only a few months back.

Of course, the same bastard papers that started this rumour are now saying that it’s a U-turn on Delph’s part, which hints that the club have massively upped Delph’s wages.
I don’t believe this for one minute. I think the player had no intention of leaving and it was frankly pure lies by certain papers. Lies that even sucked other papers in, so strong was their case.

I totally welcome this statement and if the team does start to perform better and indeed move upward, I reckon Delph could well go down as a legend in years to come because he didn’t abandon a sinking ship. I’ve added a poll, to see if you agree or not.

1. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 4:50 pm . Reply

Claudio Ranieri…new Foxes manager. Its good to have ‘Mr Tinkerman’ back in the PL IMO

1. B6 July 13, 2015 at 5:39 pm . Reply

Not as good as having Bunn at VP!!! 🙂

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 13, 2015 at 7:07 pm . Reply

Would have liked him for us much better than deadwood and Lamberk put together

1. Andrew July 14, 2015 at 8:03 am . Reply

You’re in dreamland. Ranieri’s good but not all that.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 14, 2015 at 7:08 pm . Reply

He got Cheksea to second probably get Leicester finishing higher than us

2. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 5:42 pm . Reply

Have you still got the hots for him? 🙂

1. B6 July 13, 2015 at 5:53 pm . Reply

You have to admit he is a TASTY. 😉

1. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 6:38 pm . Reply

Yes, like mine with jam and cream…I feel a wankfest oming on 🙂

1. B6 July 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm . Reply

Will he be an iced Bunn after you’ve finished? 🙂

1. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 6:47 pm .

No…..sperm gets thinner as you get older. Its more like egg white these days 🙂 and I’m not yoking!

2. B6 July 13, 2015 at 6:52 pm .

And moving on…………..

3. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 6:55 pm .

I’m off for a beer….bye

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 13, 2015 at 7:08 pm .

Oh dear 🙂 that’s not Bunny lol

3. pat57 July 13, 2015 at 5:48 pm . Reply

Not going to start criticising Villa’s spend just yet. Prepared to wait and see what happens as we’ve still got until August 31 before the transfer window slams shut and we’re only halfway through July.

Anyone moaning at this point has a very good chance of having egg on their faces when they start second guessing what’s going to happen. Wait and see and then moan if you want.

Personally,having looked in my crystal ball (the one that predicted we’d get to the cup final not the one that said we’d beat the Arse) I think we’re all in for a surprise or two!

UTV

1. B6 July 13, 2015 at 5:57 pm . Reply

Transfer window closes on September 1st at 6pm as the day before is a bank holiday Pat. 🙂

1. pat57 July 13, 2015 at 6:13 pm . Reply

Point was that there’s still a hell of a along way to go.

1. B6 July 13, 2015 at 6:17 pm . Reply

Oh….Apologies….Would of hated to of seen you with egg on your face BEFORE the window had even shut. 🙂

4. DSVilla July 13, 2015 at 6:12 pm . Reply

I will be glad when the window closes. It’s such a distraction. I find myself scouring the web for transfer rumours several times a day. There’s still 7 weeks to go. I need to get a life!

1. GIDDYVILLAN July 13, 2015 at 6:16 pm . Reply

LOL it does send you loopy after awhile. 😀

1. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm . Reply

I’ve heard that Randy does the same! I can picture him counting his pennies/cents out of his horrible bosses piggy bank 🙂

2. langfordvilla July 13, 2015 at 6:48 pm . Reply

Its the malt that sent you loopy lol 🙂

1. Bill Pearson July 13, 2015 at 7:19 pm . Reply

Langford did you get my email ?

1. GIDDYVILLAN July 13, 2015 at 7:29 pm .

Ahh you must of got my email BILL.

2. Bill Pearson July 13, 2015 at 7:43 pm .

Sure did problem is did Langford? Sent 2 hours ago.

3. GIDDYVILLAN July 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm .

Deffo the correct addy he did s
            ay he was off to the boozer MATE.

4. Bill Pearson July 13, 2015 at 8:26 pm .

He did yes, I’m getting it down me now at home, I cannot get the ball and chain off the missus watching me, still end of the week I’m on the water free booze mate.☝

5. Andrew July 13, 2015 at 7:02 pm . Reply

Seems Gueye’s getting a more free role, which probably means Delph’s not going to get forward as much, although with as much running as they both do, they could both get forward and get back in time. But Gueye’s better going forward, Delph’s better on the defensive side so could work well in a partnership.

1. badger123 July 13, 2015 at 9:56 pm . Reply

Sherwood reckons they’ll be playing side by side, but I suspect they might alternate in going forward, with the aim being that the oppo don’t know who to watch.
      That could be a good tactic.

Or, given that Gueye is basically supposed to be more defensive, with his attacking side only being a recent thing, I suspect that the idea is that we can attack the weaker teams and play deeper against the better sides, while allowing more width.

Which means Westwood is merely backup, imo.

But wtf do I know? 🙂

1. badger123 July 13, 2015 at 10:13 pm . Reply

And Sanchez would be backup too.
        But whatever, we do seem to have plenty of options in the middle.

1. Andrew July 14, 2015 at 12:42 am . Reply

Suspect you are right. Gives us options to go three in midfield and I suspect Sanchez to come on when we want to see out games. Then there’s Gardner who can a lot from Gueye’s more attacking side.

1. Bill Pearson July 13, 2015 at 9:40 pm . Reply

Andrew, to me Sterling is doing in life what he’s does in football, a selfish person, he never looks up to pass a ball always goes it alone, not taking it away that he can play, he can but always goes for glory. He’s defiantly sharp, quick, and that’s it, 49 mil? No, even Hodgson plays him at curtain times for England, he’s a 20 year old kid being led up the garden path, he’ll be a target for any defender in the coming season.will Benteke be Liverpool’s target? No..I don’t think so. I will watch his progress coming season.

1. Hitchens 60 July 13, 2015 at 10:04 pm . Reply

Bill, Sterling represents everything that Is wrong with football and, sadly, with our ‘get rich quick and sod everyone else’ society. A bit of humility, respect and hard work are not bad qualities to have – unfortunately Sterling possesses none of them and yet the media get on the back of Jack Grealish telling us that footballers are role models – well tell me which one is the worst example?

1. saddened July 14, 2015 at 3:11 am . Reply

That article made my stomach turn, and showed me what a load of class one, horse shite the Mirror Group (including the Bham Mail) spew out about the Villa…. They think Sterling is a hungry, go-getter with desire and Delph is a gutless coward ….. you just could not make it up !

1. domingo July 14, 2015 at 11:04 am .

have to say i felt exactly the same. instead of saying delph decided to stay and fight to improve villa and safeguard his england place they did try and make it sound like he was cowardly. that,s the papers for you . loyalty is becoming a dirty word according to them and that’s not just in football.

6. Bill Pearson July 14, 2015 at 5:57 am . Reply

Hitch, I agree, I cannot for the love of the game understand why media hype selfish players like him, he will not let the ball go most times in a game, still let them get on with it. Giddy , Oohah’s wants us to play upfront for him, I’ve looked everywhere for my boots with ankle guards and steel toe caps, he thinks we would do better than that shite player at Spurs. Could be right,☝

7. langfordvilla July 14, 2015 at 8:36 am . Reply

Bill…was out on the pop last night. I have emailed you the link that you need.

1. Bill Pearson July 14, 2015 at 9:17 am . Reply

Cheer’s mate got it.

8. pat57 July 14, 2015 at 3:53 pm . Reply

Just read the Mirror article. Thye’re just stirring it and trying to be a bit different thats all. Stirling is a money grabber and Delph isn’t. They’d report black as white if it suited them.

Just hope that same journalist covers the story of Delph being one England’s heroes while Stirling doesn’t even get on the bench having had zero games with Citeh.

Stirling is only 20 so he has a lot of time to repent his decision.