Carabou cup; Villa – Stoke

You know a cup competition has been so devalued, that it’s almost worthless, when there’s practically no mention of tonight’s game in the news.
It’s a massive shame as it’s a competition that brings back some of my best ever memories of being a Villa fan.
Was I the only one who got down on my hands and knees in response to Tony Butler’s request to “get yer prayer mats out” in the run-up to our second replay against Everton, for instance?
I doubt it.
Heh, the things footy does to you, eh?

So over the years I’ve forgot about and had to read up on the format.
It’s seven rounds and we had a bye in the first one.
We’ve won two and if we win tonight, we’ll be in the quarter finals, which to me makes things very interesting.
It’s easy to say the competition is a waste of time, but it’s not like we’ve had to put much effort in to get this far is it?

And I think we’ll definitely win tonight, simply because we’re on a roll and Stoke er, aren’t. Actually that’s not strictly true, as they beat Wolves in the second round of the cup a couple of weeks back and won away at Preston at the weekend.
Not that I’m bothered. It might be a bit tougher than I imagined on the face of it, but I’m supremely confident that we’ll be in the hat for the quarters.

At least I would be if I knew we were going to play our strongest eleven.
Which we won’t.

Ross Barkley is cup tied, so we won’t be seeing him and he’s about the only change I might have expected from the squad that faced Bristol City in the last round anyway.
Whether it’s to give some of the second string minutes to keep them in trim should they be needed in the league or maybe a last once over by the management team before getting moved on, there’s little reason to change things just yet, in my opinion.

I actually found my password for one of the betting sites a couple of days back and was tempted to have a tenner on this one.
They don’t give much away do they?
7/4 on for the win I’m seeing.
It’s hardly worth the hassle, so I don’t think I’ll bother.

Hmm, a second glance shows I can get 15/2 for a 2-1 win and that’s much more like it.
I’m not really a betting man, but that would definitely spice things up a bit and if I do bother that’s what I’ll go for, because that’s my prediction.
You can guarantee that’s wrong then.

I thought this would be on Sky tonight, but it’s not so I don’t know how that will leave the streaming situation.

Whatever, I’d love us to progress and actually win the thing. It’s the closest we’re realistically getting to silverware this season, after all.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:16 pm .

Konsa coming on for Hause, who’s got some sort of problem.

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:19 pm .

A more direct break and Davis plays in El Ghazi, who doesn’t get near it.

Bill Pearson.. October 1, 2020 at 8:21 pm .

That was a bad tackle from Davis and he’s lucky not to be sent off. It getting obvious the players playing tonight know whatever they do won’t put them into the first team , so why break a leg in trying.

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:26 pm .

Good work from El Ghazi then and it produces the fist decent effort from us.

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:30 pm .

Watkins on for Ramsey, who’s done absolutely nothing.

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:31 pm .

Good shot from Watkins already.

Hitchens60 October 1, 2020 at 9:16 pm .

Ramsey had a poorish game tonight but I can forgive a 19 year old kid making his way in the game.

As for players like Lansbury, Guilbert, Hause – they are really not of sufficient quality to be in the squad. Davis once again showed good ball control but will he ever find the goal instinct that’s missing from his game?

At least El Ghazi gave it a go as did Jota when he came on.

We were out thought, out fought and are justifiably out of the Cup.

I suspect tonight just confirmed what Smith et al already knew about our fringe players – it’s now clear that against a poor Bristol City side they flattered to deceive.

At least two more to come in – an attacker and a centre back (I think Smith will go with Targett and Taylor) – and a few to depart before we really have the strength in depth we need.

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:35 pm .

Jota on for Traore.

Bill Pearson.. October 1, 2020 at 8:42 pm .

Truth, we have lost this game through playing players that couldn’t give a shit. Gilbert Taylor, Ramsey weak in the middle, the list goes on.as I’ve said this type of game has no meaning on the day. He’s thinking of Sunday’s game.

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 8:58 pm .

Stoke thoroughly deserved that.
    They outworked us on and off the ball and we had nowhere near enough desire.
    The usual suspects just confirmed what we already know for me and we need a clearout, as they’re a total waste of wages.
    I’d be bloody fuming if I was Smith.

Third Generation Villian October 1, 2020 at 8:59 pm .

WHAT A WASTE OF A TENNER

What was Smith thinking, with this team selection?

Its all Badgers fault, saying we were definitely going through.

Roll on the next game, oh its Liverpool (doh!)

badger123 October 1, 2020 at 9:06 pm .

Ha, I knew I was wrong to be confident 🙁
      It’s the Villa isn’t it?

At least I couldn’t get a bet on because the site needed to verify me first, which involves sending a letter to my house. I couldn’t be bothered with that. I’ve been a member for years too, so it must be a new thing.
      Anyway, that saved me a tenner, but agreed it was a bit of a waste apart from confirming what we knew in that far too many just aren’t good enough.