1. Sidforever
    Sidforever August 3, 2022 at 8:07 am . Reply

Hitch
    I agree with you about our midfield. I think Kamara as defensive midfielder will be good. I actually think the problem revolves around McGinn. I was expecting to see a new midfielder replace him. As he has been made captain he would be virtually undropable. I expected Kamara, Ramsey + 1 upgrade, McGinn is inconsistent. If he were on the bench that would really show a level of depth.

Another concern is the formation played. It seems when we play 4-3-3 we are quite good. However, SG seems to like one with either 2 strikers or one striker and 2 No. 10s. Every time this occurs team cut through us like a hot knife through butter.

Finally our strikers. I’d give Watkins and Ings until Christmas to show what we need. If not, then the club need to be ruthless. I hope Archer steps up when opportunities come his way.

Overall I would like to see a box to box midfield upgrade on McGinn and a new quality striker, selling Ings in the process.

Then I think we could put pressure on 6/7th spot.

1. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 August 3, 2022 at 9:21 am . Reply

Good call on McGinn Sid.

I hope you’re right about Kamara but having watched him in the friendlies, particularly against Man Ure and Rennes, he was poor defensively.

I’m no expert but it seems to me that the problem with Coutinho and Watkins / Ings is that the latter two spend too much time coming back towards the ball and seem to end up treading on Coutinho’s toes – Gerrard needs to sort that out. Archer, on the other hand, is more likely to be sitting in and around the box more giving Coutinho room to creat chances for him.

2. DSVilla
    DSVilla August 5, 2022 at 11:15 am . Reply

I’m bothered about our goal scoring capabilities. Watkins misses too many good chances and I don’t think that will change. Ings goal return is less than I expected. I’m not sure Archer is ready to deliver consistently but that remains to be seen.

Considering we have Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ramsey, McGinn and Luiz behind those forwards I would expect a better return.

Not sure what the answer is other than a better finisher

1. Ardent Villain
      Ardent Villain August 5, 2022 at 12:06 pm . Reply

Agree with most of that, but I’m hoping that Archer is a born goal-scorer!

I think he could turn out to be the next Gary Shaw – although it might take a little time to get up to speed in the Premier League!

3. Adam
    Adam August 5, 2022 at 1:29 pm . Reply

Archer, yes, i do believe he is a natural goal scorer and i think we will see big things this season.

4. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 August 5, 2022 at 2:24 pm . Reply

Archer has signed a five year contract – another good bit of business and shows the club is committed to support its best young players despite Chukweumeka’s actions.

DS – you make a very good point about the talent in our midfield and they need to look at themselves closely. We can criticise the strikers – that’s easy – but the reality is we just don’t create enough chances. More chances – more goals.

I think there was a stat that showed that Kane misses more XG’s than he scores but Spurs regularly create a lot of chances.

1. Ardent Villain
      Ardent Villain August 5, 2022 at 4:09 pm . Reply

Compare & contrast (as they used to say on exam papers-): Archer, who’s managed to actually ‘do’ something pretty-well every time he’s been in the first team; Chuk, who’s always promised much, but rarely seemed to ‘do’ anything interesting when he was given a place…

Personally I’m delighted that they’ve got the kid to sign up for another 5 years.

5. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 August 5, 2022 at 8:57 pm . Reply

Aaron Ramsey signs contract extension and goes out to Norwich on a season long loan. Another sensible piece of business.