Brief thoughts on the Leeds game; We move on and will beat Swansea

Merry Christmas all!

I watched most of the Leeds game and I was absolutely livid at the way we threw the game away at the final whistle.
I thought the ref was shocking and seriously wonder how paid officials can get so many calls wrong.

Regardless, I thought Leeds were probably the better side overall.
Did they deserve the win?
I don’t know.
But it is what it is. We’re going to lose some games, simple as that. A 94th minute goal conceded still remains disappointing though.
So gutting that I just didn’t fancy posting anything about it at the time.

That said, I think given our defence, we’re doing quite well.
To keep things in perspective, we gave Leeds a pretty good game. If you accept that they’re looking favourites to win the title at the moment, we have much to look forward to, if Dean Smith can get the right players (read defenders) in.
Surely we have to recall Elphick and then add a decent left back, meaning we will look better?

What’s important, is that I thought the team ran their guts out for the manager and that bodes well.
Our promotion hopes aren’t over for a moment, in my opinion.

Which is why I’m extremely confident that we can beat Swansea.

Squad news and Grealish is out.
Hands up, as much as I thought we wouldn’t miss him, we have.
He definitely adds creativity and we look slightly lacking without him.
Yes, we can still score goals, but we still lack that added clever pass, which Grealish brings at times.

Tuanzebe is out too and that’s probably currently a bigger loss, as he’s really started to look the business recently, in the way he’s played so calmly and without fuss. He also plays out too, something else we lack.

On Swansea’s part there’s still a bit of doubt about Wilfried Bony, who’s still on the recovery trail after an anterior cruciate jobby.
Oli McBurnie and Bersant Celina are available, as is Daniel James. I’ve never heard of any of them.

While we haven’t quite been getting the results we want lately, I’m still optimistic that we can out-score the opposition.
As Smith said, Leeds are probably the best team we’ve played under him.
Hence I don’t see Swansea being so tough.

A nice 2-1 win for us, I reckon.
What we can well do without is yet another draw.
We need the points.

1. Hitchens60 December 28, 2018 at 1:47 pm .

According to Sky Sports, we are interested in buying half the Brentford first team LOL

1. nath December 28, 2018 at 2:33 pm .

i believe smith will go back there to bag him some bargains. that centre back barbet looks nailed on. sawyers could be another smith might feel he needs to improve us for the second half of season.

2. Bill Pearson December 28, 2018 at 2:57 pm .

Well hes lost interest in Cahill according to Birmingham live .
    Aston Villa have abandoned their pursuit of Chelsea defender Gary Cahill, according to reports.

The claret and blues have been tracking Cahill since the summer window with the centre-back’s contract at Stamford Bridge set to expire at the end of this season.

Despite fans’ eagerness to see Cahill – who left the club for Bolton Wanderers in 2008 – back at Villa Park, Villa have reportedly pulled the plug on the deal.

The Telegraph report Chelsea’s preference to offload Cahill permanently in January but Villa wouldn’t be willing to do that or cover the cost of his £110,000 per week wages for a loan deal.
    Shit £110,000 a week who would take on a deal of that on loan, these end of life player’s should be grateful to get enough to pay taxes in their banks.

1. Holte66 December 28, 2018 at 3:08 pm .

With luck Bill we won’t be seeing any loan signings. I’m fed up of Villa being a feeder club. Also let’s not have players winding down their careers at our expense. Terry was great for the time he was here but I think Smith is looking at long term for new signings. Sticking plaster signings won’t help us if we fail in getting promoted.

3. Holte66 December 28, 2018 at 3:03 pm .

With the transfer window about to open, we pretty much agree on the type of players we need to strengthen, but with a wage bill that has to be managed, who are the players surplus to requirements and should be offloaded if at all possible. We have plenty of options in midfield and up front. Hogan, Davis, Hepburn Murphy should be considered, alongside Lansbury, Jedinak, O’Hare and Doyle Hayes as sales / loans. Disgruntled players who never get a chance at first team action will affect harmony at the club. So surely it would be better to get them playing elsewhere with another club paying or subsidising their wages.

4. nath December 28, 2018 at 3:15 pm .

davis probably wont be smiths cup of tea, hogan has served under smith before so we have to assume he will be able to carry out his instruction,jedi will be out the door and lansbury will get his chance to shine in the team.

all the kids or players from under 23 are most likely to be loaned out,thats murphy hayes ohare davis probably suliman could be loaned back out if thats permitted.

why would we risk blooding them & weakening our team, only ppl who think they are any good are ppl who have never seen them, but for a friendly or two and a few under23 games. if smiths thinks they might be worth keeping then you will see them in the team. otherwise keeping them to sit on bench is wasting our time and theirs, they all need games to progress and too get them they will have to drop down.

smith has to be allowed to sign who he likes and club and fans should support him and trust his opinions whatever that is,

5. Badger123 December 28, 2018 at 3:30 pm .

I see Suliman has been recalled after very few minutes abroad and at Grimsby.
    That tells me a lot, even though he’s highly rated.

We’re supposed to be in for Sawyers and a Spanish player. Both are midfielders, with the Spaniard being defensive.

Either we’re going to be spending a lot of money if we’re going to be chasing mids as well as defenders, or more likely, this makes no sense whatsoever.

1. nath December 28, 2018 at 3:49 pm .

that sawyers has played under smith at Brentford and Walsall. so i am sure that smith will know him really good, sawyer might play his system really good and that might be the clincher. nobody knows how long grealish is out for his injury wasn’t diagnosed straight away not sure if they know now. maybe grealish will be sold to spuds and sawyers his ready made replacement,

that DM spanish player i dont know him myself. but heard hes a really good prospect. i think we need a dm as jedi whelen are not up to scratch for smiths system he demands more than defending and passing poorly. so that makes sense to me

1. Hitchens60 December 28, 2018 at 4:26 pm .

The Spanish link has been down played but I think Barbet / Sawyers from Brentford are reasonable calls.

Personally, I would move Kodjia on in preference to Hogan as I think (as has been pointed out) Hogan is more of a ‘Smith’ player that Kodjia. Also I believe Kodjia would fetch a better price.

As you will probably gather, I’ve never really been a fan of Kodjia – is Smith?

1. Holte66 December 29, 2018 at 9:16 am .

I agree Hitch that Hogan could contribute more as a team player than Kodja. Up till now though it seems that Smith favours Kodja, probably because with Abraham playing central striker, Kodja is seen as better playing out wide. If Hogan plays either Abraham would have to play out wide or we would have to switch to 4-4-2.

6. Holte66 December 29, 2018 at 9:27 am .

Just read a story / interview with Neal Maupay and reading between the lines if we made a decent bid for him he would definitely come because of Dean Smith. Especially if we signed Barbet who is also french. Would Brentford consider any of these though and jeopardise their chances of staying in the championship?

1. Hitchens60 December 29, 2018 at 12:22 pm .

I’d take Maupay in a flash