Bournemouth – Villa; Yet another massive game

I’m getting a bit bored of saying it, to be honest, but it is, isn’t it?
You can’t count your chickens, certainly not this early, but Norwich are beginning to look out of it to me.
Otherwise, it’s still really tight at the bottom and our once superior goal difference is practically neck and neck with the other teams around us.
We can score goals; that’s not a problem, but we concede far too many too. Even if you take out the Man City spanking we’ve still conceded the second highest in the league and it’s that which might be our undoing if we’re not very careful.

Squad news and little has changed. Borja was signed too late to be able to play in this one and I don’t think it makes much difference anyway as he’d be nowhere near the first team.
He seems a very strange signing to me and I’d rather have Rushian Hepburn-Murphy as backup, but I suppose it’s about him getting games and he’d have been unlikely to do that for us.
The good news is that Reina has got over his calf strain and will surely start, as much as Nyland did well against Leicester.
Samatta will no doubt start, although Dean Smith said he tired midweek, so we’ll probably see Davis come on too.
The other question is about Danny Drinkwater and will he start?
I’m guessing he will.

As for Bournemouth, they expect Jefferson Lerma and Diego Rico to be available, but it’s too early for Junior Stanislas, Jack Stacey and Joshua King.

So how do I see the game going?
Well, I definitely think we’re good enough to beat them on our day, but I’ve said many times that the way we play isn’t at all convincing and it worries me.
Even though we beat Leicester, our defence was atrocious again, but we’ve demonstrated that we can drag results from games where we look inferior. That’s a massive plus for a side in our position and it wouldn’t surprise me if our doggedness comes into play today.
I don’t see many goals because it’s going to be too cagey, I reckon, but I’m hoping we have enough to get the points.

A win would be massive, as it opens a gap on Bournemouth, but conversely, they’d go above us if they win.
So basically, its a “must win” and I think we will.

Villa 1-0.
I hope!

COYL!

Big Fat Ron February 1, 2020 at 4:59 pm .

Look at Everton since Ancellotti took over. Wow. They’ll finish top 5 and could even pip Chelsea for 4th the way they’re going. That’s the difference: bags of top level experience versus zero – nothing personal against Smith.

Holte66 February 1, 2020 at 5:08 pm .

I agree to a point BFR but it’s fair to say that Everton were underperforming and needed an experienced boss to turn things round. Smith has Grealish, Mings and all the rest are average players at best, so difficult to compare.

Big Fat Ron February 1, 2020 at 5:22 pm .

Fair point, Holte. Sometimes, they don’t look average, though. Sometimes they just look like they’re either not trying or don’t know what to do. That’s either poor attitude or poor coaching, or poor attitude BECAUSE of poor coaching. I think that after Tuesday, Elmo, Trez, and Conor should’ve started today, without doubt.

Holte66 February 1, 2020 at 5:38 pm .

I agree BFR. The team needed freshening up. Tuesday’s game was physically demanding and too many players looked lethargic today.

Holte66 February 1, 2020 at 5:04 pm .

Poor management in playing all but the keeper 2 games in 4 days. We were never at the races. Our midfield was non existent and Hause was particularly poor. Too much reliance on Grealish to make things happen which makes us very predictable. Davis added some bite to our attack but will probably be dropped for next game.

VillaAwayInDiv3 February 1, 2020 at 5:16 pm .

No one on the same wavelength as Jack …3 times he sent the ball across the area and no one getting to it……and Davis IS the best forward we have .He has always been able to hold it and get into good positions.

Holte66 February 1, 2020 at 5:43 pm .

Davis is the only striker we have who holds the ball up and retains possession. Maybe next game play two up top with Samatta. El Ghazi is anonymous most of the time. Play Grealish in his best position just behind the strikers. So a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Bill Pearson February 1, 2020 at 5:23 pm .

Two players that need to take good look at themselves, Hause, Minns kept giving the ball away and this no hope Guilbert along with Tagartt, find another club they was dire , why did Grealish drop back into a defenceless position and give up our striking chances. i had to get out of the house to carm down it got to me,.

VillaAwayInDiv3 February 1, 2020 at 5:26 pm .

Yes Bill…who told Jack to patrol the half way line….should have been running into the area and their players so they might bring him down…someone has no idea.

VillaAwayInDiv3 February 1, 2020 at 5:26 pm .

I also had to turn it off near the end as it was just pathetic.

Holte66 February 1, 2020 at 5:35 pm .

Couldn’t believe it when Trezeguet came on and told Jack to sit deep. After all he was the only one they were scared of.