Bournemouth 2 -1 Villa; We’re in trouble

That was a massively disappointing performance which leaves me wondering how we can come back now?
I can handle defeat if we’ve played ok or have been unlucky, but I struggle when we’ve played poorly and make no mistake about it, we did today. I’ll bet Dean Smith is fuming and rightly so.

I’m not sure if we got it tactically wrong or not, as there were so many poor performances that it was hard to tell.
When you have so many poor passes, it’s hard to tell what the team’s trying to do, but it often seemed that the idea was for Mings to hoof it long to Jack Grealish, possibly because the players didn’t trust our (lack of) midfield.
There was a stat that flashed up and it said our passing was actually more accurate than Bounemouth’s. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw it and it certainly didn’t seem like it.

And then there’s the fact that we lack creativity if you leave Grealish out of it.
He was head and shoulders our best player today, but even he can’t be relied on to carry a team through a whole game, although he did his best too.
The lack of movement was incredibly poor too, but what annoys me the most is that Bournemouth just looked much more up for it and did the basics right in pressuring us and working massively hard.
The good thing is that Samatta got his first goal, which was the first headed goal we’ve scored this season. I’m sure that tells me something, but I don’t know exactly what that is.

The goal apart, it was just depressing to see a team play so dysfunctionally and basically watch Grealish having to keep driving us forward. Where we’d be without him, I shudder to think and we’re in deep trouble as it is.

I’m off to drown my sorrows, as having to keep thinking about how poor we were is putting me on a proper downer.
We have an international break now and then it’s at home to Spurs on the 16th. Oh dear.

We’d better start getting some practice in, as it doesn’t seem like they’re doing much at Bodymoor Heath, does it?
If we continue to keep playing like that and let’s face it, we have been poor even during our recent victories, I currently see little chance of survival.
I really hope McGinn recovers quickly.

Page 6 of 7 1 4 5 6 7
    Roy Bracy February 3, 2020 at 11:52 pm .

That’s terrible news if he done hamstring again looking like he out for season too,as took enough time off last time.got to hope that 9 more points are enough although that’s looking hard now.back to square one and rebuild properly in championship

Holte66 February 4, 2020 at 7:02 pm .

WTF was Smith thinking by playing Davis in a pointless U23’s game. We all know that he is injury prone so surely playing in 2 games in a few days was plain stupid. So it looks like we are down to 2 strikers now. Relegation here we come! Strange thing is I have become disinterested about Villa this season compared to last and speaking to other villains, I’m not alone. The premier league is unfortunately a case of the haves and the have nots. At least in the championship the gulf between top and bottom is hardly anything. Okay we might have a points reduction but we will have a parachute payment and huge fees for Grealish, McGinn and Mings to rebuild. Just don’t let Suso or Purslow get involved with future signings. #CHWC!

Hitchens60 February 5, 2020 at 7:59 am .

If we go down and have a FFP problem then we’ll have the same problem if we stay up! The reason being the cumulative losses stay the same – £65m over 3 years (2xEFL + 1xEPL). The EFL have transferred the issue over the stadium valuation to the EPL.

Holte66 February 4, 2020 at 9:19 pm .

Badger, you’re right of course. It’s a catch 22 that financially we need to become an established premier league team again. It’s a shame that the heart and soul has been ripped out of it. When I was younger, football even at the top flight was a working mans game. Now all the premier league teams care about are the corporates and the prawn sandwich brigade. I guess the arrival of Sky and the demise of standing terraces created the predicament we are in. I know a few Baggies fans who are enjoying this season and aren’t keen on promotion because they know it’s very likely they will be fighting relegation next season.

Big Fat Ron February 4, 2020 at 9:20 pm .

Mungo Bridge and Louis Barry. May as well get them on the bench and start giving them some game time.

Hitchens60 February 5, 2020 at 8:02 am .

Agreed BFR – we need a bold new strategy. As long as the fans don’t get on Smith’s back if it fails!