Bournemouth 2 -1 Villa; We’re in trouble

That was a massively disappointing performance which leaves me wondering how we can come back now?
I can handle defeat if we’ve played ok or have been unlucky, but I struggle when we’ve played poorly and make no mistake about it, we did today. I’ll bet Dean Smith is fuming and rightly so.

I’m not sure if we got it tactically wrong or not, as there were so many poor performances that it was hard to tell.
When you have so many poor passes, it’s hard to tell what the team’s trying to do, but it often seemed that the idea was for Mings to hoof it long to Jack Grealish, possibly because the players didn’t trust our (lack of) midfield.
There was a stat that flashed up and it said our passing was actually more accurate than Bounemouth’s. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw it and it certainly didn’t seem like it.

And then there’s the fact that we lack creativity if you leave Grealish out of it.
He was head and shoulders our best player today, but even he can’t be relied on to carry a team through a whole game, although he did his best too.
The lack of movement was incredibly poor too, but what annoys me the most is that Bournemouth just looked much more up for it and did the basics right in pressuring us and working massively hard.
The good thing is that Samatta got his first goal, which was the first headed goal we’ve scored this season. I’m sure that tells me something, but I don’t know exactly what that is.

The goal apart, it was just depressing to see a team play so dysfunctionally and basically watch Grealish having to keep driving us forward. Where we’d be without him, I shudder to think and we’re in deep trouble as it is.

I’m off to drown my sorrows, as having to keep thinking about how poor we were is putting me on a proper downer.
We have an international break now and then it’s at home to Spurs on the 16th. Oh dear.

We’d better start getting some practice in, as it doesn’t seem like they’re doing much at Bodymoor Heath, does it?
If we continue to keep playing like that and let’s face it, we have been poor even during our recent victories, I currently see little chance of survival.
I really hope McGinn recovers quickly.

Page 5 of 7 1 3 4 5 6 7
    Roy Bracy February 2, 2020 at 10:40 pm .

The men’s team not doing well but the women’s team is top of their league.i think they should be praised for that.
    At least one villa team good. perhaps the men should take a look at the women’s team and play with consistency.sorry not part of this debate but think they deserve a mention to cheer people up

nath February 3, 2020 at 6:25 am .

i looked through the remaining fixtures to find where 15 points ISH will come. very tough games thats why we needed three last weekend. i can only see 7 to 9 points.

the loss at cherries was all down to application of work rate. one team forced their game on the other, down to more input pressing the other to make errors which will obliged and we where forced to hit the ball longer than normal cause of the press. our three defenders usually have time and that is our game to build from the back.

i cant believe our players where not ready for a war 🙁 at the top of football you have to earn the right to play, cherries simply outfought villa first half. to be fair they deserved their win overall cause they worked even harder when down to ten. which must have been hard given the effort they used first half.

so for us to survive we have got to start breaking the mould and winning against the better sides and picking up more points away than we have been doing. setup to be a very nervous finish to the season again

beamo February 3, 2020 at 8:14 am .

Agreed – our run is very tough. Our remaining home games are all against top half sides (bar Palace) who we never beat and our away form isn’t good enough to compensate.
      All those results we bottled or made glaring errors in the first half of the season will cost us – Arsenal away where we should have won v 10 men, Spurs away, Burnley at Home, West Ham at home v 10 men, etc. We threw away so many points from winning positions and only have ourselves to blame for our dreadful in game management.

Smith has gone on record saying his teams get stronger in the second half of the season – I sincerely hope there is an upturn and we do it but my fear is we’ll go on another losing run and thatll be it.
      Spurs at home next up – this is the exact kind of game a Newcastle or Burnley can win – will we? I doubt it – you just know Hause / Nakamba / Luiz or one of the usual suspects will make a glaring mistake even if we play well

Bum Bum February 3, 2020 at 10:27 am .

Just looking at the run in too. I think we need 2 more wins and that will be enough. I think we’ll just about manage it, but the way the points have been distributed throughout the Premier League this year, the traditional safe points tally of 38 is out the window. We’ll snatch those couple of late victories when we least expect it, but other teams will keep us up by being worse than us. The fact we have just 2 games in February may work against us if we lose even more focus, or it could allow us to see McGinn back in the team… And how we’ve missed him!
    Norwich, Watford and Brighton to drop.

DSVilla February 3, 2020 at 12:14 pm .

It will be a hairy ride but the fact is the teams around us are as bad, and their fans will be looking at their run ins and panicking just the same. The last part of the season throws up some unexpected results. We just have to hope we get some points where we aren’t expecting them. Bournemouth aside, we have got 4 points from Burnley and Brighton, 6 points against Norwich, 3 from Watford, and 1 from one game against Burnley and West Ham. That’s not bad IMO. We do need to step up in some of the games against better opposition though.

Our defence worries me though. No hiding away from the fact that we have a massive problem here.

Roy Bracy February 3, 2020 at 1:24 pm .

I think we should forget the amount of points for safety and all we need is to match or better the teams below and around us and finish 16 or 17 it’s going to be hard but we should be thinking of it as a mini 6team premier League and set out to not lose games like Bruce and not trying to win everything but try sneak odd win 12games left 12points that way.utv

Roy Bracy February 3, 2020 at 2:29 pm .

If we stayed in the premier League then next season we could improve the team,but as you say it’s not the way Smith play’s the game,and can he learn in time that’s the point.maybe he needs a pulis to help him there’s no shame in asking for help the club comes first.he also missed a trick by not keeping nyland in goal after his performance against Leicester,what does that tell the others (it’s okay we won’t be dropped however we play)it should be if you perform you keep the shirt if not your out. We had this problem with O’Neill.

Originallondonlion February 3, 2020 at 7:53 pm .

I do not understand 3 at the back except if you are playing a team who counter attack at speed.. If the opposition build slowly, and have a right winger out wide on the ball – their CF in the middle of the goal not at the far post – and the #8 or inside-right joins in between the other two attackers then the left sided CB is stuffed. He cannot intercept the winger and the #8 at the same time. The middle CB is marking the CF and our right sided CB is totally spare, no one to mark and no possibility of getting across goal to even the numbers.
    That is why all sensible teams have at least 4 in the back line with full backs who are back defending when needed.

Roy Bracy February 3, 2020 at 9:19 pm .

If their not good enough then the blame should be on suso and purslow for buying them,but it’s Smith that will carry the can then Terry will probably get the job. Why can’t we ever get proper owner’s and dfo and CEO other team’s get it right.
    I know it’s going to upset people but Doug Ellis ran the club better than anyone since,he wasn’t perfect but the club was stable mid table team,now it’s a mess again.
    I noticed Smith was 170miles away with phone on silent according to him. Which show’s he had no say in who was brought,even samatta mentioned that he was looking forward to meeting the coach.

Big Fat Ron February 4, 2020 at 9:14 pm .

Totally agree about Ellis. We were more than mid-table. Consistent top 6 with more that a couple of flirts with the title. Would love to have those days of the 90s back. Great, care-free times.