Blues – Villa; Here we go again. VOTE for the winner

And it is of course, the Blue’s fA cup final once again.
Only this time I feel it’s more interesting than usual.
Blues have a really poor record against us over the last 15 games or so, but while they’re usually fairly tight games, I feel this game will probably be closer than ever.
Blues have a very decent attacking threat, with Che Adams firing on all cylinders.
But then, we have Tammy Abraham, who can also bang them away.

I can’t say I know anything about Blue’s defence, but we do know we have a shortage at the back.
I’ve seen talk about Jedinak coming in at centre back to replace Elphick, but I don’t think that will happen for one minute. He’s too immobile and I’m sure Smith sees it.
So Hause, who’s actually looked pretty decent at left back recently, will surely take the left CB position, alongside Mings.
Which leaves us wondering who will play at left back.

Taylor is the natural choice, but I don’t believe Dean Smith has much faith in him.
Then I’ve read that John McGinn might play left back, as that’s the position he actually started his playing career at.
This actually makes some sense, as his engine would be useful for getting up and down the wing, hopefully nullifying the pressure that Taylor would face if he were to be targeted. McGinn could also cut inside and assist the mids, if needed.
But I think Smith much prefers to play round pegs in round holes.
Hence Taylor will probably get to start, if I had to guess.

Which, given that I think this game revolves around the midfield, makes things interesting. Where does McGinn fit in?

Whelan and Hourihane did quite well last week and it would be harsh if we were to drop either of them.
Hourihane, while I think he’s lightweight as a defensive mid, so he offers options if we’re attacking.
Whereas Whelan has controlled games lately. He’s also more of a battler, which should prove invaluable tomorrow.
We know Grealish will definitely start and that leaves Smith with a big, but very pleasant problem.

I think the best solution is that McGinn will start on the bench and come on to replace any weak link in the middle.
My opinion says that if players are showing decent form, they shouldn’t be displaced unless there’s a reason.
That’s harsh on McGinn too, but I feel if he were to come on with say, half an hour to go, his undoubted energy could add a lot to our game and give us an edge.
I know little about Blue’s midfield, except that it was struggling earlier in the season. Gardner’s apparently been playing well for them and hopefully it’s a positive that he’s not eligible for this game, as much as Blues asked if we’d let him play, the cheeky scrotes.

So there we are.
I’m sure I don’t need to go through our squad status and I couldn’t care less about theirs.

The truth is, I don’t know what to think about this game.
As much as I think we were good against Derby, so I thought they were incredibly poor and it made us look better than we were.
And I look back at previous games where I didn’t think we were too clever either.
But the big difference now is that we have Jack back and it seems he has the ability to transform us.

I think if we play to our best, we’ll have too much for Birmingham.
But if we resort to the previous form before Derby, we might struggle.

I think I have to go for the draw.
1-1 it is.

I’m adding a poll, so lets see what we think.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    nath March 9, 2019 at 7:57 pm .

villa will win no doubts about it. brum are tough to play against and if we revert back to our flimsy selves, we will come unstuck for sure. but i think the penny has dropped. all too late to get promoted unless others fall off. but i can see us finishing off the season in style.

derby might have been poor, or we made them look poor, because we moved the ball fast and with lightening counter attacks, we cut them open with some really nice moves and team moves. kind of moves smith has been trying to get them playing all season.

i think the second goal was a great goal, i enjoyed it even more than grealish wonderful strike. cause it was a team goal and it one touch football. them kind 0f goals are scored by team with high confidence and swagger

1 3 villa

Bill Pearson March 9, 2019 at 9:35 pm .

Darren Moore sacked, after 1-1 draw.

Big Fat Ron March 9, 2019 at 9:34 pm .

I don’t think it’ll be a draw, because 6th spot is still there. We have to go for the win, and because of that, we could lose. IF we win, we’re only 4 points off 6th, having played the same amount of games as the teams around us.

I’ve said before, 3rd and 6th are the same, so if Smith, Terry and the team are as ambitious as they should be, 6th is still the target.

IF we can win 5 games in a row (tomorrow being the second), I think we will be in the top 6 by Easter. Everybody knows it’s about stringing wins together in this league. If you consider how appalling our form has been and we’re still (potentially) 4 points off 6th, it’s incredible.

Anyway, the old cliche is ‘one game at a time.’ Keep winning and we can still make the playoffs!

Hitchens60 March 10, 2019 at 7:38 am .

Who said – it only gets important when the tulips come up – or words to that effect? Well, I suppose Bruce was right – you only need to get 6th on the last day of the season.

Win today (although I’ve gone for a draw) and I might even start believing the play offs are still achievable.

nath March 10, 2019 at 8:33 am .

wba sacking their manager has to be one of the worst decisions this season. in a nutshell they are right up there. its unfortunate that there are three better sides in sheff utd leeds and norwich. but these sides are only slightly better. baggies had a great chance in the playoffs. lost form lately, but form can come and go at all clubs, doubt the new manager can get much more out of the players there, i hope this gamble backfires for being unreasonable

i think the difficulties will be getting in the playoffs. if we can manage to pull off getting in, we will win the playoffs this time. middlesbrough are a poor side and struggling, derby can be up and down but in two games sofar, they havent scored against us and we knocked 6 past them. wba sacking manager in such a crucial part of season will ruin their chances. who ever finished third will be so disappointed that it will be hard to pick themselves up. villa finish 6th and will be on fire. football is all about momentum

Hitchens60 March 10, 2019 at 11:34 am .

Unchanged team except, as expected, Hause moves to CB and Taylor comes in at LB; McGinn starts on the bench. As you say Badger – Smith prefers round pegs and round holes.

DSVilla March 10, 2019 at 12:13 pm .

And that’s why we call them the scum. That muppet is off to jail.

Hitchens60 March 10, 2019 at 12:23 pm .

And the club will be in more trouble as well.

Bill Pearson March 10, 2019 at 12:34 pm .

Ho, won’t they just ,I see a fine that will spell out to all clubs that will not be tolerated, massive fine and another few points off them.

Bill Pearson March 10, 2019 at 12:45 pm .

I’m not happy at this, the Scum are into the game than us, Taylor making me feel he’s going to drop a clanger and give away a goal.

Guest March 10, 2019 at 12:50 pm .

Shit game of football so far.

Little8 March 10, 2019 at 3:31 pm .

Yeeesssss double over blues woo hoo gonna have a couple of beers on super jack tonight , bloody luv im. Enjoy your evening everyone and raise a glass to the team and superb away fans wooo hoooo.