Benteke Leaving? More rumours

Benteke

I’ve not really taken much notice of the “Benteke to Liverpool” rumours, as Liverpool don’t strike me as being quite a big enough club to entice our prolific striker.
Of course, the rumoured £100,000 a week might interest Benteke, but you have to look at Pool’s chances of achieving Champions league status next season. My money says they’ve no chance, so you then have to wonder what Benteke might achieve by going there, the wages apart.

It seems from what I’ve been reading of Liverpool fan’s opinions that they don’t think he’ll suit Liverpool’s style anyway, with the main reason being that he’s another Andy Carroll, ie a bruising strong header of the ball.
While that is of course true, we all know that it’s not the only string to his bow.
Not that I care much, because I think he’s better than Liverpool anyway.

Which brings me to the latest rumour, which is that Mourinho at Chelsea fancies the player.
I have to admit, I find this rumour more than a little worrying, as they are certainly a club that would tick all of Benteke’s boxes, with every chance of being champions next season, Champions league footy, London and of course massive wages.

While the link is pretty much totally unfounded, with nothing other than the Daily Mirror’s story to support it, it does make sense as the word is that Drogba may be on his way out, which would leave Chelsea with Costa and Remy.
Which makes you wonder where Benteke would feature in the pecking order.
I’d like to think that this might be something that could work in our favour, as I suspect he wouldn’t immediately be given an automatic starting berth.
But if Benteke wants to prove himself at the highest level, he’s not going to walk into any top club and be guaranteed a start is he?

As I’ve mentioned before, I blame Tim Sherwood for all these rumours to some extent.
He made a big mistake in saying that he wouldn’t stop Benteke leaving if the right money came in without emphasising strongly enough that it would take “stupid” money to get him. In fact, he should have just put a £100 million price on his head or just simply said “he’s going nowhere and he isn’t for sale”.
Even though we know these statements are meaningless, it just sends the right message to the fans.

Then again, I’m very mindful that Benteke was probably offered something in return for signing a new contract and a promise that we would let him leave might just have been that something.
This makes even more sense when you consider that the player’s agent suddenly changed tack in his comments, almost as though he’d been appeased.

I have a sneaky feeling that this Chelsea rumour might just have something to it and the truth is, if Benteke’s going to go there, you couldn’t really blame him. Whilst I’d be gutted, he’d go with my best wishes.
But Villa have to ensure that they get serious top dollar money for him and I’m not talking £30 million.
And Lerner had better not trouser the proceeds.

The thought of Benteke leaving quite simply scares me.
Us being linked to Austin and Adebayor is all well and good. But give me Benteke any day.
I could easily see him being ranked amongst the likes of some of our other legendary strikers at the club, if he were to stay.
I can dream can’t I?

1. pat57 May 23, 2015 at 4:32 pm . Reply

If Benteke has any sense he’ll hang around for at least another season and see what happens at Villa.

If the club has a good season and he scores consistently he may find some bigger opportunities beckoning…or then again if we’re doing well he might just want to stay (fingers and toes crossed)

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 23, 2015 at 10:18 pm . Reply

Why hang around and see what happens. We will be bottom 6 yet again he will be injured for half a season and still be our top scorer. Why bother staying with a club who’s only ambition is staying up when he can double or treble wages elsewhere with a sky 4 team. It’s a no brainer for him imo

1. KentNielsen77 May 23, 2015 at 11:49 pm . Reply

OohAah, you’re desperate for him to go so that you can tick your ever moving “told you so” box. As I said just the other day, I genuinely think he’ll stay – not for ever but for next season at least.

If I’m wrong, I look forward to hearing you tell us that you told us this would happen.

2. OriginalLondonLion May 24, 2015 at 12:42 am . Reply

It is the time to sell season tickets, so anything said by AVFC staff including the manager should be adjusted for excess rose tint.

TS has revealed something of his views on players that he is not happy with in his comments.
    “They have to show it to me in training.”
    “We are in a crisis, I need players who will put their bodies on the line for this club.”
    “Grealish is not a kid he is a man – look at his legs.”

This I think the clue to why Gil has not been picked, he is a bit fragile. Messi and Iniesta might struggle through a BMH training session if that is the way TS thinks.

Perhaps later than most posts is TS statement that we have to go toe to toe with Arsenal, we don’t have the squad to sit back and catch them on the break. Oh dear, 8-0 and 6-1 come to mind, the first Arsenal’s tally against us this season and the second our last toe to toe result.

Of course, return to the top of this post – it is bullshit time and by the same token we have a cup final to play so anything the manager says this early about tactics is to be taken with a pinch of salt. I hope!

3. Bill Pearson May 24, 2015 at 7:15 am . Reply

New faces today in the team ?,according to BBC sports young blood maybe seen like players from call back and academy, interesting. I think its going to be tight but a win for Villa, 2-1,its a full house today and I’m going. Oohah see you at the game. ☝✋

1. B6 May 24, 2015 at 7:38 am . Reply

You may have to give oohah directions Bill. 😉

1. Bill Pearson May 24, 2015 at 9:17 am . Reply

Oops B6, , yer right, Oohah take the A 47 into Aston area, walk towards the church, thats the one that’s got a steeple and grave stones , the road divides just before the ground thats Villa park. I’m under the camera on the halfway line, hey buy you a pie mate.

4. Riddog May 24, 2015 at 9:30 am . Reply

Given
    Hutton- Vlaar- Okore- Cissosko
    Delph- Westwood- Cleverley
    Bacuna- Grealish
    Benteke

Villa 3 Burnley 1

5. Bum Bum May 24, 2015 at 9:35 am . Reply

Great article by Gary Neville in The Times yesterday. Saying how Pool have become a provincial club with just local thinking…Not where Benteke would want to go…Looking forward to today’s game, and next Saturday even more!!!!!

6. Dave.C May 24, 2015 at 10:35 am . Reply

Just taking up on something Andrew said, if Man City ‘need’ to get rid of Dzeko, we should put ourselves first in line for his signature if Benteke does want out. A hugely under rated player in my eyes and a much better option than Adebayor. Also, have you noticed how Kozak becomes a better player the longer he’s out, he’s just about an average striker to me with good hold up ability, but my Granny is faster, and she’s been dead 20 years!