Aston Villa v Newcastle Preview

With the visit of Newcastle we have our first home game of the season.
This game will be a good indicator of things to come IMO.

Our home form in the past few years has been a joke and I think we can all agree that our away form and a couple of unexpected wins last season is what kept us up.

Newcastle are nothing special themselves IMO and they are also under pressure. The question as always is whether we can create enough chances at home to win this this game. We still have no creativity in the side though we are better defensively. Hopefully Carlos will play and will tighten us up even more.

Because of our lack of creativity I was going to go for a 1.1.
However, with my birthday tomorrow I’m in a more positive mood than normal so will go for VIlla 2 Newcastle 1.

What do you think score will be?

1. Andrew August 23, 2014 at 2:50 pm . Reply

Huge change from first half to second. First half we looked like we wanted it, second half was deep, leggy and Lambert seemingly knew we weren’t scoring. Bar Baker for Cissokho which had to be done, poor subs. Westwood and Sanchez should be partnered next weekend behind an actual AM, be it Cole or someone he buys.

Leyton is a big game to get tactics right and prove Villa don’t need to solely rely on counter attacks.

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 2:52 pm . Reply

Spot on for me Andrew

2. Colonius81 August 23, 2014 at 2:52 pm . Reply

Ya not overly disappointed with a point, thought thats what we deserved, Hutton was very good today, Hope that doesn’t make a little reckless now. but Fair play to him.
    Does Darren Bent look super fat to anyone? or has been on the weights? he looks so much heavier in any case

I was disappointed with Weimann today, there were two attacks in the first half where he had an excellent overlap on his left .. and he just wouldn’t look up … both times he just smashed it… grr I hope its pointed out to him during the week by the coaching staff.

It remains to be seen what will happen when we play a top 6 side at home, nothing too promising emerging from our 1 home performance so far. but its only 1 game at home, another 18 to go, so we can’t establish the trend just yet.

on the plus side we did look pretty solid defensively again. and cissoko/hutton looked the part getting back defense, making challenges, and went forward when they could.

I still don’t like the idea of delph as a defensive midfielder. For me he is better going forward and drifting down the left channel, he can beat his first man and in tight spaces can get past people around the edge of the box. We know he has a shot on him on his left,
    its just his passing isn’t great, and his challenges are reckless at times.

I would play him as an am who drifts left .. when at home, of course he could sit deeper away and then break from deep.

3. jvillan August 23, 2014 at 2:53 pm . Reply

if that home attendance doesnt wake up lerner nothing will,would have taken 4 points for first 2 matches probarly would have taken 4 for first 8/9,keane has to take lambert to one side tell no way can you put gabby wieman in one team,why not put delph left back when sissiko went off put grealish on, baker should be sent with all the rest out on loan

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm . Reply

Yes gabbys lackluster performances are really starting to nark me now,he’s walking into the shirt far too easy imo.Lambert must be waiting for one of his unplayable performances he’ll be waiting a long fucking time by the looks of things.good on yer Alan Hutton again keep it up.

4. DSVilla August 23, 2014 at 2:57 pm . Reply

Creativity a problem, and weak forwards. Benteke will clearly make a difference and will affect how other teams defend against us. Cole or Grealish should have been on the field by the middle of the second half.

Some good signs from Richardson. Hutton – well done to him. Has got back in the team and is our best option at RB by some considerable distance.

Benteke and Kozak being fit will make it possible to drop Agbonlahor and I think Weimann needs a spell out too.

5. Bill Pearson August 23, 2014 at 2:58 pm . Reply

Where do we go from here, I know our defence is good but is it strikers we need? OK anyone think that Abonglahor is holding us up now its skill not pace we need?

1. Andrew August 23, 2014 at 3:02 pm . Reply

Gabby’s largely holding us up, and he hardly even used his pace bar the run against Coloccini. Need our two strikers back, need a creative midfielder in and maybe even a number 9, someone smaller than the two we have that has quality and can play with a front 2, which I’d agree with the commentators I listened to anyways claiming it shouldn’t be a dying formation.

6. LANGFORDVILLA August 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm . Reply

Reading between the lines I think KEA will be gone in this window! I desperately want Grealish to start against Hull. Then bring Cole on as the game slows down a bit. No sign of Okore again! We need more creativity as we cant play on the break in every home again.
    Unbeaten at home, unbeaten away, 2 clean sheets, top of the league until 5pm. WTF am I complaining about? šŸ™‚ time for beer aplenty šŸ™‚

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 3:06 pm . Reply

Langford have to agree again. Looks like KEA will go back to Holland pos. to Feyenoord. Reckon we will be more difficult to beat this year and 4 points is a decent start. We defo need to win against Hull.

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 23, 2014 at 3:11 pm . Reply

Yes mate after hull it’s toughie time.

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 3:15 pm . Reply

Horrible run of fixtures – hope Langford sorted out rehab, we might need it come November šŸ™‚

7. Bill Pearson August 23, 2014 at 3:10 pm . Reply

Are you watching this twat Lambert, quote I think we was excellent, again same thing every time interviews he makes, why don’t he come clean and say one or two had a bad game, he’s weak manager.

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 23, 2014 at 3:12 pm . Reply

10 out of 10 Bill you understood him. šŸ˜€

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 3:16 pm . Reply

Been on the pop again Bill šŸ™‚

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm . Reply

Hitchens I was 20 sheets to the wind borderline alcohol poisoning when it was the last time I understood him.

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 3:29 pm .

Notice he didn’t even understand the final question and went on rambling explanation about how we had good chances (I think) when he was actually asked about transfer activity between now and end of window lol

8. LANGFORDVILLA August 23, 2014 at 3:21 pm . Reply

Bill….take a look at the league table mate. We were poor today but never lost. I think we we would have lost that game a year ago. Lambert is building from the back which is essential in my eyes. I would go 4 – 2 – 1 – 3 against Hull.
    Guzan
    Hutton Senderos Vlaar Cissokho
    Sanchez Delph
    Cole/Grealish
    CNZ Bent Richardson

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 3:33 pm . Reply

Langford agree with the exception that I would play Westwood with Sanchez and start Delph alongside Cole with Grealish to come off the bench. I have some sympathy for Weimann as PL continues to play him wide rather than through the middle which he both prefers and is more effective.

1. LANGFORDVILLA August 23, 2014 at 3:38 pm . Reply

Lol…Hitchens my man…thats 12 men you have named….can I have a couple of pints if whatever your drinking šŸ™‚

1. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 3:58 pm . Reply

12? I think I need some of what you are drinking šŸ™‚ I didn’t include Weimann in the team it was meant as a separate comment

1. LANGFORDVILLA August 23, 2014 at 4:06 pm .

Lol…Weimann is NOT in my team neither…have a recount my man šŸ™‚

2. LANGFORDVILLA August 23, 2014 at 4:12 pm .

Stalemate…we are both clearly pissed šŸ™‚

3. Hitchens 60 August 23, 2014 at 4:15 pm .

Grealish off the bench – not in the team so I swapped Westwood for Grealish not that it matters; we might have won with 12 players šŸ™‚

9. Lamberk August 23, 2014 at 3:53 pm . Reply

This is the start of Lambert’s 3rd year in charge and STILL he can not put a side out that looks set up properly to win a home game.
    The bloke is totally clueless and tactically inept.
    All this “I thought we were excellent” bollocks is beyond a joke.

10. #HELENIUS August 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm . Reply

Tactically inept….2 clean sheets, 4 points and both our decent forwards are injured…..let’s blame Lambert for that tho eh…!!!