Aston Villa Humiliated Yet Again!

Right let me start of by saying that I know I will get slated for this article by our liberal do gooder posters but here goes!
After the predictable transfer request of Benteke last night the time has now come to ask serious questions of the club. Yes I know even the sky 4 teams lose their best players but the difference is they usually hang onto them for a few years or so first. And that’s my point for our star player to want to leave after just one season is humiliating and embarrassing. I seriously cannot think of any team or star player that leaves after just one season. The worse thing is who can blame him? More money and possible CL football. Even with Bentekes goals last year we only just limped to safety so who can blame him for not wanting the same again. Yes we have signed new players but with the exception of Okore they hardly smack of ambition. The message to Benteke and any other so-called hidden gem player is come to Villa and join a struggling team and in return we will make you into a world class player and groom you to play for a sky four team whilst pocketing a few extra quid of course. This is now the mentality of our owner and even though we have lost players in the last few years at least we got a few good seasons out of them. If lambert uncovers another gem, then what? That player will want away after he’s played half a dozen good games. Lerner has bought this club to its knees yes financially we will be fine but anything better than a bottom 6 finish is all we can hope for now. Lerner out!

1. MarkDraperNumber8 July 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm . Reply

This works for me

In a statement, the club said: “In response to reports that Christian Benteke has not travelled to Germany with the club and has made a transfer request, we can confirm that both are accurate.

“For clarity’s sake, however, he had already been given extra time off until July 18 and was reminded that there are three years remaining on his contract. We consider him to be a Villa player and expect that he will be with us for the 2013-14 season.

“Having received his transfer request, we have also informed him that should we receive an offer within an appropriate timeframe during pre-season which meets our valuation we would act upon it. But he will remain a Villa player should this not happen.”

2. MarkDraperNumber8 July 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm . Reply

And Bony off to Swansea

3. Colonius81 July 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm . Reply

I have to say Markdrapernumber8 you and I have very similar take on the whole scenario.
    I have always thought that we will lose players of Benteke’s quality until we establish ourselves in the positions of the those are trying to buy him right now.
    ronaldo, madrid, fabregas to barcelona modric to chelsea .. they all go eventually

You might argue that at least they gave a few years before they went.
    Did Benteke sign his 20k a week 4 year contract under duress?

If thats the case then what did Lambert/lerner do last season to “force” him out now?
    What has changed at villa from last summer when Benteke signed?
    we were struggling then to rebuild coming off the back of some poor campaigns and a legacy of overpaid underperformers.
    Did Benteke sign his 20k a week 4 year contract under duress?
    I don’t see how Lambert or lerner could be blamed for him handing in a transfer request?
    what did they do last season to “force” him out now?
    And we no more humiliated than newcastle were when Ba went to chelsea after one season .. and that was one season of pushing for a european spot.

I was disappointed with the transfer request but i too can’t ignore such a clear and timely response from Villa PR that included quotes from Lambert of all people thrown in.

Ooh ahh/ terry lol sometimes i begin to doubt if you really believe in the statements you post. a few times including above I have thought that you might be purposefully playing devils advocate to the consensus of opinions here and sensationalising it for the sake of a lively debate or to keep the posts coming in ..

I realise that is very cynical and i have no way to prove it! so to borrow from a popular lawyers tactic on american tv shows .. I withdraw my statement, let the jury strike my comments from their deliberations.

Back to benteke

Is anyone all that surprised? I was 60/40 sure he would stay another year on a new 40k contract based on the guarantee of games as a settled player but be off for definite next summer maybe even January if he was tearing it up again.
    I thought he would have even “bigger” clubs than arsenal or Totenham to choose from too if he had repeated his feats of last season.

I am now 70/30 sure he will leave this summer.

lets not forget Djemba Ba, at Newcastle .. off after a season or so.
    lets not forget how benteke pushed for a transfer from Ghenk last summer.
    or ignore the reality with footballers and their agents,
    although he is under contract at villa I have no doubt in my mind that his agent sounded out moves before the transfer request.
    How do you prove contact has taken place .. tap their phones – confiscate their records?
    you simply can’t.

The reason for the 30% is the tone and timing of the Villa statement.
    Also
    His agent knows certain clubs will make bids .. but the risk for them is whether Villa’s valuation is higher than what they might have anticipated or unofficially agreed too behind the scenes.
    despite a great season last season .. thats all it is .. one single impressive season.
    there is still inherent risk in signing – look at Adebayor/ Anelka/carroll and their ilk
    who wants to be stuck with a one season wonder on 80- 100k a week on a 4 or 5 year contract who is beginning to build a reputation of liking the smell of money and greener grass

1. Colonius81 July 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm . Reply

oh jeez apologies for the poor editing above I hope you can still get my point(s)

4. 1982 not just the year I was born July 9, 2013 at 11:56 pm . Reply

25 million reported. Or maybe cash plus lakakau. Wouldn’t be the worst outcome. I wonder how much money Chelsea are offering. 10/ 15 mill and I’d be happy.

1. BillyWalkerShirt July 10, 2013 at 12:01 am . Reply

That was posted on another site earlier today- benteke to Chelsea – Lakakau to Villa on loan with an option to buy, might be some legs in that.

5. Naughtius Maximus July 10, 2013 at 8:34 am . Reply

I seriously cannot believe the B/S being spouted on here slagging villa, the manager and the chairman.
    if benteke had of been playing for any other club outside of the CL(spurs aside)then this would have happened to them too. its really disappointing and annoying and people are pissed off but how the fuck anyone at villa is responsible for this I don’t know, stop being so negative we knew this was a risk when we signed him, look what he did before he came to villa.
    in no time at all we are back to lamberks and lemmings
    STOP SLAGGING OFF MY CLUB!
    sick of this shit!

6. Naughtius Maximus July 10, 2013 at 9:41 am . Reply

like I said in another statement its only august, who says michu is staying?
    and lets not forget he(michu) spent most of feb onwards injured so swans or michu are not exactly in betekkes position are they?

7. Naughtius Maximus July 10, 2013 at 10:20 am . Reply

I think his lack of loyalty is more down to benteke and his agent than the club, he would have been the same at any other club.
    nobody is happy with the situation, it sucks but I just don’t see how you can blame learner for this one.
    and nobody is saying michu is not sort after we are saying its july and benteke finished the season in a blaze of glory, michu finished the season in a bit of a damp squib by comparison mainly due to his injuries which no doubt would be a concern for any potential buyers.

8. Naughtius Maximusj July 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm . Reply

absolutely, they are both responsible.