Arsenal 1 – 3 Aston Villa; Happy days

Wow, what a game! I’m exhausted just watching it.
It’s no wonder people all over the world love the Premier league, as this encounter typified what it’s all about.
It really did have the lot in debatable penalty decisions, injuries, bookings, sendings-off, a first look at Hawkeye and most importantly, goals.

Where do I start?
Well, for the first quarter of an hour, I really feared the worst. Arsenal started the brighter side and took the lead in pretty quick time with a goal from Giroud, that had the Villa defence at sixes and sevens. We really should have coped with the ball from the wide left, but after Vlaar had been caught out while impersonating a midfielder, we were a man down at the back. No comment from me about that and I’ll leave it there.

We didn’t capitulate though and far from being over-awed, we started to hold our own. Not enough to say we were the better team, but we were at least making it a bit more equal.

Then Gabby picked up a through ball and turned on the after-burners, leaving a defender for dead and making the goalie grab at his feet.
A clear penalty, which the ref decided wasn’t a scoring chance, as Gabby was going to his right. What else he was supposed to do, I don’t know, but I wasn’t complaining too much.

Benteke elected to take it and I have to say it was a shocker. It was hit with very little pace, enabling the goalie to get to the ball quite easily. Fortunately, it bounced high in the air and Benteke was quick enough to pounce for the goal.

1-1 then and we were slowly starting to look a bit better. Arsenal still looked the better side technically and often looked dangerous but they couldn’t live with our voracity. We quite frankly ran them ragged, hassled them to death and never gave them a moment on the ball.
Good tactics, which resulted in our second penalty.

It was another tackle on Gabby and not so clear cut, but the view I saw told me that Laurent Koscielny didn’t make contact with the ball, so it was justified. Just to prove I’m pretty fair minded though, I don’t believe his first booking was correct, so he was somewhat unlucky to be sent off in my opinion.

Benteke took the penalty again and this time it was much better, planted hard to the left.
2-1, but still nowhere near in the bag for me.

With Arsenal down to ten men, it always looked like an uphill struggle for them and while they obviously have the guile, they definitely don’t have the graft.
They still looked very dangerous, especially after we started to sit back more and more (something that really annoys me about the Villa), but fortunately we held on.
Does anyone have any confidence in our defence when it’s being pressed hard?

Whatever, Arsenal pushed just a little too hard and got caught out when Luna got hold of the ball just over the halfway line, leaving him to run at goal and make the goalie think he was going left, while actually shooting to the low right. A perfect start for him and one that will definitely go down in his memory.

3-1 then and a great game to watch.
I actually recall saying just the same to myself after about an hour, where I was thinking we might still lose.
A really good game and if it isn’t the starter on MOTD, I’ll be surprised.

Gabby MOTM for me, more because of his outstanding workrate which showed the team the way to go, than the penalty incidents.

Chelsea up next isn’t it?
I predict they’ll be a bit shocked this time, as we are not going to roll over like we did last season.
Anyone got a spare ticket they’d like to sell?
I’m in the smoke and would love to see this game.

Just to add to the talking points, Wenger to be sacked this season?
It certainly seems the fans want it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
    little 8 August 17, 2013 at 6:08 pm .

Aaaaaaaaaoooooowwwwwwahhhh apologies to my lovely VILLA bloggers predicted 1-4 couldn’t have been more wrong .Gonna celebrate with many red stripe tonight.Have a brilliant weekend guys and girls ,Aaaaaaaaaaaaooooowwwwwahhhhhh

B6 August 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm .

I’ve just heard oohah’s missus shouting at him to turn the tv up the right way. He must of turned it upside down so he’d think we were bottom.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm .

Ha ha just put a positive post up for once

B6 August 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm .

I know, you must of struggled though, not exactly in your comfort zone posting positive stuff are you? Well done though. 🙂

billys boots August 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm .

ideal signings for arsenal would be Ireland,mutton,given and,Bannan im sure that would satisfy the one eyed gooners

Bill Pearson August 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm .

I sat the whole of the 90 minutes with headphone on and played every kick of the ball. When they scored on that 6th minute I thought here we go again, how wrong can you be, well done the lads, I know that we as a club that changing the system of over paid agents and players can now see young wontabe footballers working for the club and the shirt. I’m a happy man again,and to see that attacking full backs are now a problem to other defender’s as well as forwards is brilliant football. Onwards and upwards Villa. 🙂 you made my day.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm .

Just put a positive post up bill

Villains Utd August 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm .

My man at the emirates said Delph was MOTM. What a start to the season! VTID

Rotterdam82 August 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm .

Brilliant day. Baggies and scum both lost as well….very happy days!
    As my old mate Langford used to say.
    ‘We will NOT be relegated’

Naughtius Maximus August 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm .

great result!
    one thing, last time I remember an atmosphere of this much positivity terry jones came on to say how well we had been playing and how he fancied us to push on and do really well, much to everyones surprise……..this was just before Chelsea away last season(yes you know the one, I shant say the words).
    terry you have been warned 😉

Rotterdam82 August 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm .

BTW oohah…. Have you watched the Manure defence tonight? I think we could take them to the cleaners this year mate. Almost as bad as we were in defence last season!

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm .

I didn’t see utd game can’t stand watching utd games sick of all the media brown nosing over them. Plus they win virtually every game. With an attack like theirs they can afford to have a shit defence as they will out score everyone. Plus they didn’t concede many last year and probably won’t concede many this yr

Rotterdam82 August 17, 2013 at 8:19 pm .

Fair point. But I’m not so sure they will outscore us this season!

nath August 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm .

wot a game
    delph was my match of the match, he did a number on wilshere plus was unlucky with the post
    bring on the rest of the best lmao

Foxy August 17, 2013 at 9:09 pm .

I’m very happy to hear this, hopefully he’s going to keep improving. Is he our only MON signing left?

nath August 18, 2013 at 8:25 am .

guzan was originally mon signing but was released and resigned by lambert

Rotterdam82 August 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm .

Watching the full game on sky. Its great going one down knowing that you are going to win!
    🙂