Albion 0 – 0 Villa; Tedious and ultimately not good enough

Well, that wasn’t pretty, was it?
I’m struggling to think of a more boring game and given that we’ve experienced plenty of them over the last few years, that’s saying something.

The whole game can probably be summed up by the lines from one of the commentators I was listening too, where he said;

“This is the Prem. This is supposed to be the best we’ve got”

And he was absolutely correct.
The standard of set pieces and balls in general, from both sides was woeful and backs up my claim that the Premiership is just a load of over-hyped rubbish.

I’m not going to go into the ins and outs of the game too much, as it really doesn’t matter and all that really did, was the result. Which we simply didn’t get.

On the face of it, a draw at the Baggies isn’t too bad a result really and I’d have happily taken it, if we weren’t in our current situation.
But we needed a win and the annoying thing is I think we could have got it, if we’d actually gone for it, as frankly Albion were no better and it could even be said that they were actually worse than us on the day.

Yes, maybe we should have had a penalty and I was calling the referee all sorts at the time, but my feeling was that he let a lot of things go, in an effort to keep the game flowing, something many fans have called for, for years.
It was a fairly robust type of game, just the sort you expect to see in a Derby and I was personally glad the ref did play it that way.
I doubt some of you will agree.

So in a game where I thought Gil looked bright, Gana worked hard and Ayew looked dangerous, again it doesn’t matter.
We needed the points, but ultimately didn’t get them.

Albion will comfortably survive, but we won’t, because it’s too late.
And that’s frustrating, given that we at least matched them today.

1. originallondonlion January 27, 2016 at 7:10 pm . Reply

I spent many hours talking to Ellis, usually in planes or at airports, but I have never met Lerner. Both suffered from the same problem though to a different scale in different eras. Their pockets were not deep enough.

Top level football today is an ego-trip or insurance policy for super-rich people with a flawed character. Because there are some like this in every league in Europe, only similar people with bottomless pots of cash can compete. Ellis and Lerner both thought they had enough money until the idiots upped the ante. Ellis then made, and Lerner is making – the same mistake of hanging on. When you first know you have not got the money to compete you must sell up and walk away. Neither did which has lost them more money and all support.

No point in complaining about the costs and trying to penny-pinch while saying “I am surrounded by Idiots!” Of course you are, you’re in the Asylum – the only thing to do is find a madman on the outside who wants your seat at the table.

1. bws January 27, 2016 at 7:19 pm . Reply

Insurance policy? One that comes with a hefty premium!
      But just does that work out, Tax or something?

1. originallondonlion January 27, 2016 at 7:32 pm . Reply

Yes insurance against drinking some radioactive tea or walking into a poisoned umbrella. Mr Abramovitch has seen his lesser known countrymen suffer such ends, even in London. But the hoo-ha if the Chelsea owner were to meet a suspicious fate might just make it not worthwhile. So it does come with a hefty premium, but it is life insurance.

1. bws January 27, 2016 at 7:39 pm . Reply

The old Litvinenko cocktail.

2. Hitchens 60 January 27, 2016 at 7:40 pm . Reply

Apologies the reply above should have followed this post OLL – having problems with the iPad

1. originallondonlion January 29, 2016 at 7:36 pm . Reply

I do not dislike Ellis either as a man or as Chairman of the club. As I said he hung on too long, but his excuse was he did take up references to ensure he was selling to somebody with a genuine interest in football and specifically Villa

When Ellis did investigate: several potential buyers seemed to be people with dubious records and questionable sources of cash. I do not know how general that case was, but I remember one name being mentioned who was soon on the run.

I agreed with him that Lerner seemed to be a man with enough clean money, and Ellis seemed to have picked someone who would take the club forward. But then the Arab money arrived and added a zero to everything.

2. Jvillan January 27, 2016 at 7:44 pm . Reply

Peter grant has some nerve talking about villa fans,he was part of a management team that took a term from 6,6,6,9 to 16 in table
    Talk about wages given zog 2 highest paid players of all time,means managed 30 mins football for his wages,never mind 4 year contract plus 4.5 m for Hutton peter grant stones glasshouses come to mind

3. Bill Pearson January 27, 2016 at 7:49 pm . Reply

Well he was chief mafia, he also owns laundry shops that wasn’t mean’t for clothes. Just paper. Oops illegibley.

4. GIDDYVILLAN January 27, 2016 at 8:32 pm . Reply

Sendeross has left by mutual consent.SSN

1. Hitchens 60 January 27, 2016 at 9:03 pm . Reply

As others sign players, we show them the door!

5. Fastjet81 January 28, 2016 at 12:11 am . Reply

Would Debuchy offer us anything in our current plight? With Richards moving over to right back and the back 4 looking more settled of late I’d argue that we don’t really need him. Scoring has been the big problem, so would have been more beneficial to see a centre forward come in on loan.

1. Andrew January 28, 2016 at 3:48 am . Reply

Richards has hardly been impressive though, and we can still sign more than one player which some don’t seem to get. Not every penny we have is going to go to Debuchy’s loan signing.

1. pat57 January 28, 2016 at 8:13 am . Reply

‘we can still sign more than one player…’

Well let’s start then! One would be good right now.

We need several new players in and personally I can’t stand these last minute deals that we always seem to get ourselves into.

Just in case you’re wondering IMHO we need these players for next season in the Championship, we need to start rebuilding now not once we’re down.

6. Bill Pearson January 28, 2016 at 9:06 am . Reply

Pat57, exactly, you can almost feel how Villa are working, let’s wait and when the window closed, we can wait to find out who getting pushed out at the next window. Then we get players that only come for the money. We won’t sign anyone now, not with Lerners ideas we won’t, all the people he’s put in to Villa will go with the flow? Make or break and hope.

7. Stubbs January 28, 2016 at 9:20 am . Reply

The only players we will sign on permanent deals are those who will have a profitable sell on value. Fox has made it clear that the remit is to only sign players that can then be sold for a profit.

If that is the way we go then there really is no point in following the club. Hollis and Fox have both said that the club needs it’s fans support. With the remit in place only a complete idiot would spend their hard earned on AVFC knowing as soon as we get a decent player coming through he’ll be sold and the money given to Lerner meaning we will never build a decent team under this regime.

The club has been killed but will be resurrected once The Yanks have fucked off.

8. GIDDYVILLAN January 28, 2016 at 9:33 am . Reply

This debuchy links boring me now he either wants to come or he doesn’t,kalinic FUCK knows I very much doubt it.I I hope REMI takes a good look at his position in the club cus I’d put my house on it he gave the club a number of targets to look at which more than likely was filed in the bin. Can’t see no one coming in & let’s wait for the laundry list of bullshite excuses coming out of the club’s PR machine why.