After watching Spain-Portugal, I don’t think I understand the game anymore.

So I’ve just watched the above and I’m somewhat lost in my thinking.

Footy was always a simple game when I was younger.
The whole idea is to get the ball in the net more times than the opposition, is what I was taught as a 4 year old.

It’s a simple aim, isn’t it?
And the most successful attacking side wins. Easy peasy.

So why did I feel that I was watching a totally alien game this evening?
It’s probably to do with teams trying to constantly attack and win the bloody game, I reckon.
Just as you’re supposed to do.

I’ll bet I’m not alone in wondering why some teams feel the need to constantly pass the ball sideways and backwards.
Indeed, it’s no wonder I’ve got very little hair left, after watching the Villa over the last few years.

But it seems it’s endemic in our domestic game and is probably why I don’t think England have a hope in hell of winning the World Cup.
The English game, while it has plenty of blood and guts, is nowhere near dynamic enough in it’s play.

And if you asked me who our best shot at England manager would be to actually win a tournament, there is only one in our game.

Jurgen Klopp.

He plays the game as it should be played.
Attacking, with a smile on his face, even if he loses.

Southgate?
He’s an FA groomed puppet. A total non-achiever and the perfect example of why England don’t have a prayer of achieving anything in this tournament.

To be honest, I wonder why I watch British footy at all.
Oh, er, I don’t, unless it’s the Villa.

To be honest, it bores me witless.
Because we’ve forgotten what the game is about; which is winning, as opposed to not losing.

1. Holte66 June 20, 2018 at 7:04 pm .

Keep checking the news for latest doom and gloom story at VP. Getting bored of it now if I’m honest. The media love nothing more than speculating about how much we owe, and after the fire sale we will be left with just Hutton and some of last years U23’s. Until I hear an official statement from the club I will disregard all media crap that we are being fed. One thing that is certain is how little anyone outside of VP knows about our current circumstances.

2. Bill Pearson June 20, 2018 at 7:48 pm .

Yes, It Stinks Nath, never in my life time have I seen Villa in this much trouble, So called business men playing silly buggers at our expense, I blame him for not knowing his problems taking on Villa, hes the one that imployed people to run our club. Hes got that to deal with in court, yes you did see the writing on the wall ,as Hitch intermated its not all about the ffp its bad running of a busines that’s caused this. I could understand if we only had 15 thousand on matches but we had doubled that and sponsored by good companies. It’s mind boddling.

1. Hitchens 60 June 21, 2018 at 11:24 am .

1960’s would be close Bill until Pat Matthews bought the club – we were close to going under then

1. Bill Pearson June 21, 2018 at 12:19 pm .

I missed that Hitch. Mind you I was in the forces then. oh yes got married in 61,

3. nath June 20, 2018 at 8:09 pm .

there is a old saying, no smoke without a fire. nobody knows the extent of the damage, because the owner is running scared. hes never been so quiet. doesn’t that tell you something is not quite right. i washed my hand s of this mess. i had hoped it gets sorted, before the seaosn started, but i know it won’t,

hope we are all enjoying the world cup 🙂 i am watching spain and iran great to watch football. we are fans and life to short to worry about the mess at villa. the millionaires will all be ok ,its just the poor minimum waged staff will lose out. banks will all get their money and other clubs will get their money, we will get docked 10 points. lose our best players etcetc

next season will be a major struggle but we should get top 24 or thereabouts

4. nath June 20, 2018 at 9:00 pm .

love watching two different styles and tactics. i thought iran was hard done by in that match. yes they were second best in most of the game. but i thought they coped with a far superior side, quite well. they didnt get the decisions too. that offside was marginal at worst. man for man spain should have won easy

5. Hitchens 60 June 21, 2018 at 11:21 am .

Of course Dr Xia is the ultimate guardian of the club but Wyness was CEO and had overall responsibility for running the club on a day to day basis. Similarly the Board has a fiduciary responsibility and I guess sanctioned the strategy, expenditure as well as player sales. To allow the club to gamble it’s whole financial future on effectively one game is IMHO at best negligent and at worst – well perhaps I shouldn’t use the word I had in mind.

This financial situation is not directly of SB’s making no matter how much fans hold him responsible for not achieving promotion.

The Wyness sacking has to be more than a bust up at a (board) meeting. I clearly remember Wyness saying they had a plan in place for promotion and one for a further year in the Championship – was he lying or has the owner vetoed the funding element of the second of those plans or did Wyness mislead the Board?

In the meantime, the club appears to be lurching from day to day with the fans treated like mushrooms (keep them in the dark and pile sh*t on them!). Effectively we have no manager, no money and just possibly no team.

However, I agree with Badger, we might have to face up to administration (as Leeds did) but the club will survive with or without the Dr.

UTV

6. DSVilla June 21, 2018 at 6:18 pm .

It’s reported in the Telegraph that Xia has put another £5M into the club to see it through June. If that’s true it could suggest he can keep the club afloat while looking for investment. If it was going into administration he may as well have kept the money in his pocket.

That’s assuming he hasn’t borrowed more money against future income or the business assets.

1. Hitchens60 June 21, 2018 at 10:25 pm .

If true it’s a fair point DS. There has been quite a lot of talk about how Xia would want to avoid a ‘loss of face’ in China through a business failure. It also raises a question as to the extent the Chinese authorities might relax rules over foreign investment to prevent this happening – this was suggested by a university professor expert on China.

What we need is some definitive statements / answers from the club – the first should be – who the hell is our manager for next season? If they can give Hutton a new contract then surely they can answer that question.

7. Holte66 June 21, 2018 at 8:06 pm .

Difficult to muster any enthusiasm about fixture list released today. I had a quick glance over to see when we were playing Small Heath and Tesco FC. Hopefully when we all know where we stand around about mid July, then maybe we can start looking forward to the new season. Funny how they keep releasing images of next seasons shirt to entice everyone to buy it. At least it looks more like claret than purple which it has been last few years. Amazingly loyal fans too when we have gone past 20,000 season tickets. About time they were rewarded with news on manager and players they will be seeing.

8. Bill Pearson June 22, 2018 at 5:45 pm .

Bjarnason, hope he stays in Russia , what a crap game by all of Iceland players.
    Slow, cannot pass the ball and useless taking penalties, the only good thing is the chant ,

1. Hitchens60 June 22, 2018 at 7:00 pm .

What a difference a day makes – 24 little hours.

OK it’s more than a day but you get my point. I didn’t see either game but Bjarnasson goes from hero to zero! I still think he’s worth keeping.

2. Bum Bum June 22, 2018 at 7:27 pm .

And their very cute female fans! Yum!

1. Hitchens60 June 23, 2018 at 7:08 am .

Now, now Bum Bum – political correctness and all that cr*p LOL

9. badger123 June 22, 2018 at 8:53 pm .

I’ve been trying to think of something to write, but I’m really not seeing much to talk about, except who we are/ought to be buying (lol).

Yes, Xia has apparently put another £5 mill in.
    He has to and I believe will do, at any cost.
    What damage that’s doing to us down the road, I dread to think.
    Imagine the rip-off interest the club will be charged.

There’s word that we’ve borrowed money against our last parachute payment.
    In which case, we’re only kicking the can down the road.

In the meantime, I’m seeing no news as good news.

Although I totally agree; we need to know what’s going on ASAP.

It might well be Xia who’s losing money, but the fans are the club’s lifeblood.

1. DSVilla June 22, 2018 at 10:25 pm .

The key is the sale of Grealish. Nobody with any sense would invest £30M for a minority share in a loss making club with poor prospects of promotion next season. Therefore the money to rescue the club comes from sales – our most saleable asset will go to the highest bidder. Better resign yourselves to the inevitable. I’ll bet a tenner with anyone on here that he goes.