A bit of a round up; Blues about to be deducted points?

To be honest, I don’t even know what the internationals are for and couldn’t care less what England are up to, unless we’re in some serious finals.
Apparently we’re in some Uefa group called A2?
Whatever.

All I know is that it detracts from the proper footy and hacks me right off.

So this is just a bit of a reflection on the last week or so.

The big news just coming out is that Blues might be deducted 12 points after the EFL came to an agreement on their case this week, with the club said to have committed a serious breach of sustainability rules.
The Telegraph are saying that the club signing Kristian Pedersen for £2million has caused other Championship clubs to raise complaints.

In some ways it’s nice to see this, after the way some of their fans have taken the proverbial during the summer.
But it’s really not funny.
You’d have to suspect that a 12 point deduction, coupled with a heavy fine (yes, great, make the situation worse by actually fining them. The mind boggles) will see them at serious risk of relegation.

This could so easily have been us, although I suspect we’re not in so much danger now, given that our owners have pumped in another £11 million this week. Even so, I’d say we’re still skating on thin ice.

It says a lot though, when half the league are under the microscope and this is only going one way.
It’s just a matter of time before a club or clubs go bust.
There’s something inherently wrong when the only way a club can possibly compete, even if only to survive relegation, means it has to put itself at risk of going bust.

Next up is Tommy Elphick, who’s gone out of his way to slate Bruce in the most professional way that he can.
He’s quite rightly complained that he did a reasonable job in a couple of games, yet was still immediately dropped.
Now I think he did pretty well overall for us, apart from one dodgy patch, but also accept that he’s not some Villa fans’ cup of tea.
I’d just ask did it really make sense to loan him out before getting replacements in?
It’s quite simply a scandalous lack of planning, especially looking at how things have panned out.
Er, Jedinak or Elphick?
Enough said, except that Bruce having favourites is starting to get seriously out of hand and will be his undoing.

Even if we get John Terry in, as much as I like him for what he brings to the club, we’ll still be weak at the back, particularly if Chester gets injured.
You can play Bree or De laet at CB, but this is an experiment you should be trying when you’re expected to be mid-table, not when you’re supposed to be challenging for promotion.
You just can’t be messing about like this if you want to be taken seriously.

Our recent goals conceded record says it all.

And finally there’s the Talksport computer prediction table.
I wouldn’t normally give them the time of day, but from memory they called Wolves correctly last season.

Suffice to say, we’re predicted to finish 11th, I think
I don’t think that’s far off the mark, as things stand.

Not that I think things won’t change this season.
10 games, I said, didn’t I?
Given the way it seems Bruce has lost the plot, I’d say we’re sadly still on course.

1. Sidforever September 14, 2018 at 6:22 am . Reply

I see De Laet has gone out on loan. I wonder if he was asked to play goalkeeper and refused?

I am now firmly in the Bruce out brigade. How long do people think he’s got left?

1. Hitchens60 September 14, 2018 at 6:54 am . Reply

But ‘he knows what he’s doing’ allegedly! Just that nobody else has a clue what it is.

Sadly, I’m also of the view that Bruce has lost the plot.

2. Bill Pearson September 14, 2018 at 7:07 am . Reply

Don’t,be to hard on him, I think he has senile dementia and forgot what he’s doing.

3. Saddened September 14, 2018 at 8:41 am . Reply

Football has changed so much over the last few years and Bruce’s tactics (if he has any ,haven’t) its simple he is old fashioned and out of date… If we don’t get rid ASAP we will not be close to going up this season.

4. Bill Pearson September 14, 2018 at 11:54 am . Reply

Saddened, he make it hard to himself by treating fans as idiots, he knows the fans are calling for his head yet he doesn’t tell them if or not Bruce is coming, if he thinks its his way of confusing the opposition he’s wrong. Why hasn’t he tried to make it easy for himself getting the paying fan on his side. He has to go because in business like his its to get close to the fans. He’s gambling again with his job by thinking what he has is good enough.

5. Bill Pearson September 14, 2018 at 1:54 pm . Reply

Put it like this he not coming.

Steve Bruce has revealed he would love to bring John Terry back to Aston Villa, but has admitted they may not be able to afford him.

The former England skipper was a key figure for Villa last season, impressing with his performances on the pitch and influence off it, as the West Midlands side reached the play-off final.

However, the financial troubles that followed defeat to Fulham were well-known, meaning Terry was released as his deal was up.

But, the 37-year-old is still a free agent and after rejecting a move to Spartak Moscow, many thought he could return to Villa who have struggled defensively this season.

Yet, Bruce told the Express & Star that whilst he would welcome a return for Terry, the £60k-a-week he was believed to be on last season is now out of their price range:

“If all was right and we could afford John we would have him back in a heartbeat. We are not in a position to offer him the level of salary we could last year.

“Last year we had parachute payments and things like that. I don’t think it is all down to money. It is all down to what John requires.

6. Hitchens60 September 14, 2018 at 3:59 pm . Reply

Offer him £30k a week, a coaching position and a bonus for getting us promoted – we not only need a CB, we need a defensive coach! We could always pay for it by sacking one of the other coaches – given our performances thus far he couldn’t do any worse!