24 points from the first 12 matches

Looking ahead to the new season, I think we agree that we have a tough 3 opening games, but I think we should divide the season into 3. This will better determine what we might achieve. The first of the three is a block of 12 matches that will see new players bedding into the squad and at the same time the team picking up from where they left off in May, with some great play and plenty of goals and an improving defence.
I fancy we will have 12 points by the time we play Everton (for comparison from thos matches last season we would have got 3 points) and that the Everton match will see us start a winning run of 4 games against teams who are bottom half of the table. As for the openers, Villa players need to take confidence that whilst we lost to Liverpool in the equivalent fixture last season, we beat them at Anfield 3:1, so they are there to be beaten. Newcastle are in turmoil and Everton will struggle early on (typical of Martinez teams) especially if they lose Baines and Fellaini. We may of lost at home last season but we matched them blow for blow at Goodison and I fancy us to beat them at home this time around. That would give us 24 points from 12 matches and you never know we might turn a top of the table match into a draw! Just imagine if we repeated this aggregate for the next blocks of 12 and 14 games.
Here is my analysis of how matches might play out compared to last season. When you consider the equivalent match last season, the state of play with those teams in the transfer window so far and Villa continuing and hopefully building on the performances from March to May last season, these are not unreasonable forecasts. What do you think?

Date H/A Team 12/13 Result Prediction 13/14
17th Aug A Arsenal Lost 2:1 Lose
21st Aug A Chelsea Lost 8:0 Lose
24th Aug H Liverpool Lost 2:1 Win
14th Sept H Newcastle Lost 2:1 Win
21st Sept A Norwich Won 2:1 Win
28th Sept H Man City Lost 1:0 Lose
5th Oct A Hull Promoted Win
19th Oct H Spurs Lost 4:0 Lose
26th Oct H Everton Lost 3:1 Win
2nd Nov A West Ham Lost 1:0 Win
9th Nov H Cardiff Promoted Win
23rd Nov A WBA Draw 2:2 Win

Can’t wait for the season to get started. UTV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Michael
    Michael August 8, 2013 at 8:40 pm .

I love your positivity my friend. Avfc will surprise a hell of a lot of people this season. We began this longterm vision due to the constant nitpicking of fans for something better. The club wasn’t listening to the fans but after years of pushing and prodding they have listened. We are on a path that will see he club move back to where it belongs. Some villa fans may want things to happen faster but we need to stay the course we’re on. I believe Lambert will stay with us beyond his 3yr deal. I also believe he will take us to the championship aswell. It will take upwards of 5-8yrs, maybe even 10yrs but our club has put the building blocks in place to become a top club again. I know this is hard for Villa fans to hear atm and especially after the last few years but we have the tools to achieve it. It will take great patience and courage on everyone’s part to get it right. We set ourselves on a path to greatness again when we came together and showed everyon connected with our club that we still had power. We also showed people like those twtas in the media that we deserved better than managers like McLoser mcleish. We deserved better and we are finally getting it now. We used on average 6-8 homegrown academy players all year. How many Premier Lge clubs can boast a record like that in it’s 22? year history to date. Most clubs buy their way out of trouble but we hae a manager who stood by youth and its paying off. Yes this year will hae its ups and downs but yea on year we will begin to see th longterm strategy pay dividends. Our under 19’s won the next Gen Series aswellvwhich shows that we have op talent coming through the ranks. Personally I am looking forward to the next fe years. We will win trophies as long as we stay the course we’re on.. Laters dude.. Up the VILLA!!!

2. Michael
    Michael August 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm .

Btw. By championship? I mean the premier lge title and not the old div2..haha! come on VILLA

3. streetlyvillan
    streetlyvillan August 8, 2013 at 8:47 pm .

My God, from now on i will call you Saint Michael as your post is almost eclesiastical lol. But I do agree with much of what you say. Villa are showing the way. A lot of clubs will open their eyes to the young and hungry approach meaning that agents will lose some of their influence and football finances will be improved. And Villa showed the way. Meanwhile, we get back to winning football matches.

4. Benno
    Benno August 8, 2013 at 9:38 pm .

Love your optimism, but I think there will be a few more draws in there than that!! Having said that I think we will come away with a point from the Emirates!

5. Mcgrath Is King
    Mcgrath Is King August 8, 2013 at 11:00 pm .

Thinking 15-17 points is more likely but loving the optimism

6. bob
    bob August 9, 2013 at 8:41 am .

24 points from 12 games is champions league form and I don’t think were at that stage yet, anywhere between 15-20 points would be fantastic let’s keep our feet on the ground any improvement on last years 15th will keep me happy. Utv

7. nath
    nath August 9, 2013 at 8:51 am .

i am thinking no further than arsenal first game, and thou we lost 2,1 and arsenal had loads of possession we had loads of chances on the break and our nativity helped arsenal. lost that game late on but first games are lotteries and we av a fair chance of catching them cold

thats were iam putting my hard earned

8. Rotterdam82
    Rotterdam82 August 9, 2013 at 9:37 am .

It would be great to get to 40 points with 8-10 games remaining. We can then have a real push for a Euro spot. I’m predicting to finish between 8th and 12th. UTV

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath August 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm .

Hope not mate Europes a poison chalice look what happened to Newcastle they couldn’t cope. Unless its CL if course but zilch chance of that.

1. Andrew
        Andrew August 9, 2013 at 11:15 pm .

Newcastle couldn’t cope, you’re right, however they lost Krul to injury, Coloccini to injury, Ben Arfa to injury, Hadaira to injury, then they lost Ba, Cisse couldn’t cope, he wastes so many chances, their new French expedition was a failure as the players they bought weren’t good enough even after they went out of Europe. Also Pardew was extremely questionable, not just how bad their new players played. A lot went wrong with Newcastle other than just Europe being in their way.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath August 10, 2013 at 1:00 am .

Fair point Andrew but like ourselves they didn’t have strength in depth to see them through the injuries. That’s my worry we have no strength in depth and a few injuries could see us in trouble. If we had to play Europa games with a small squad it’s going to screw up our league position IMO

1. BillyWalkerShirt
            BillyWalkerShirt August 10, 2013 at 8:12 am .

You should be one happy puppy today it looks like PL don’t rate Vlaar either (according to the Mail) and is going with Okore and Baker and that makes perfect sense with one being left footed and the the either right,

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
              OohAhPaulMcGrath August 10, 2013 at 8:27 am .

That’s the best news iv heard all summer. Looks like lambert and the media are at last discovering what a liability vlaar is. I could of told lambert that after the Southampton away game but no one listens to me and slags me of for being right saying I’m negative. IMO he should start with Okore and baker, try and get rid of vlaar as he was happy to leave if we went down and get another centre half as cover. Also he needs firs team football with World Cup coming up. He’s not good enough for us and never will me.

9. Bill Pearson.
    Bill Pearson. August 9, 2013 at 10:28 am .

Your trying to get me chewing my nails again lads, sorry love the thought of 24 points not going to happen, Ive set myself up for mid table this season and bigger days after that, love a good cup run and the odd unexpected result with the big boys, but what do i know sfa. utv

10. Foxy
    Foxy August 9, 2013 at 11:18 am .

I’m looking forward to seeing how well we play against some big boys, roll on tomorrow and then the really big boys…